Thread: Community Service and a new practice

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Community Service and a new practice

It disheartens us to see people going without because they are unable to afford quality eyecare/optical products. My wife and I left a commercial setting and purchased a practice with the intent that we would be able to provide a community service. A higher quality of care than available from the commercial providers and their available optical products, but without the cost of a private practice setting. Unfortunately, we have found ourselves raising prices to stay afloat and not lose it all given the laughable managed care reimbursements. (Before we even go there, the previous owner was heavily vested in VSP/Eyemed). Eight months in, we have a good feeling for the area, its needs and our's, and the direction we would like to see our practice grow in.

That leaves us with how we want to approach our service to the community. I am looking for ideas based upon the Panera Bread companies care program (http://paneracares.org/), whereas they will not turn anyone away, regardless of their ability to pay. We would like to be able to integrate this into our practice, having a retail amount that will be presented at the end of the visit that is in line with our local competition(other private practice). Whether people would be able to pay the full amount or not is based upon their abilities. We would hope this will be a good target for advertising to bring in all walks of life.

Ideas and Input?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You could become a 501 ( c ) (3) and seek corporate sponsors that can use their contributions as charitable tax write offs. Or go traditional retail and pick whom and how you do charity work for. As example, you could team up with your local Lion’s Club and give free glasses though the year to folks they refer.

You could also go by referrals from others. Like the school teacher that came in with a students +5’s broken in 3 places to see if we could repair. The family couldn’t afford new ones for him. With the parent’s permission, we brought the child in for a new exam and glasses, all at no charge.

We do quite a bit of charity work, but don’t advertise it.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    When I was doing a lot of charity work I got most referrals from Community Action groups, churches and Salvation Army. Usually had disco'd frames and cheap CR-39 lenses for the kids and D-28 and 7x28's around for those that needed them.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have found there are a lot of optical vendors who will donate product for organized type of events.

I would also talk to your Lions Club, Prevent Blindness, and other vision based charities. Many of these places already use a voucher type system, and could assist you in both providing referrals, but also in providing a basic voucher for exam/services so you do get some revenue.

Does your lab have any good package deals, or discounts they might offer based upon your service goals?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is amazing and great to see someone willing to do this right off the bat. One thing you can do is to if you have your own edger is make glasses at cost for those in need in your community. By using lenses and frames of good quality but of least cost you could provide for those who need and have a way to take those adjustments off your taxes if you choose to.

Christina

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I agree with the other threads in partnering with the Lions club. I would even suggest you join the local Lions club. The Lions main goal is preventing blindness locally and all over the world. (look up Lions.org) You will meet other members in your community and even pick up patients and referrals. Every one of the three O's should be a member. I am a member of our local club and we provide eyeglasses for those who cannot afford it. You can charge the Lions at cost or a little above as you see fit. The Lions fund raise and some of this money goes for eyeglasses for the needy. Good luck.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Check to see if there is a women's shelter in your area and offer them your services. These are women who have been abused by men and the shelter is the only safe place for them to be. Many times they have young children with them. Awesome goal and my best wishes to you!!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i created a program with a couple local schools, and my favorite lab.

We had the teachers pick who needed an exam and glasses, i didn't want it based on anything in particular, they can usually identify the kids who need correction and need help with it. I had low cost frames and some discontinued product i "couldnt" really use in most situations (or at least product that wasnt going to see my boards for various reasons), along with deeply discounted basic SV poly lenses from the lab.

we were able to help 30-40 kids this last year, and 4-5 of their parents for very little actual out lay.

i like the aproach you are taking, it is noble if nothing else... it will make a huge difference how it is presented to people so as not to offend, or have people take advantage.

Thread Information