Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best A/R

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Best A/R

Dear Friends
    Kindly Help me choose The Best A/R Coating in terms of Smudge resistance ,Which help to avoid Fingerprints.
    Rate them 1,2,3,4.....and Available Companies are :HOYA / ZEISS / ESSILOR / RODENSTOCK .

Kind Regards !

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by manoj_verma View Post
    I'm afraid you're going to get everyone giving you all that they know from the sales pitches they have heard. I don't think there really is an answer to this, just whatever works best for you. A lot of what you want has to do with which lab does the work, some are much better than others. My own favourite is the house brand from a small independent lab here in the US

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hoya's premium AR for me... by far.

Zeiss are getting better

Essilor are better than Rodenstock but are still just ok.

So 1.Hoya 2.Essilor 3/4 Zeiss & Rodenstock.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think Crizal Avance is outstanding but it is pricy. I haven't used any Hoya AR in a few years but I wasn't impressed at the time. They are probably better now.

The biggest issue I see with AR is how often they need to be cleaned and how easy they are to clean. Most AR does okay when new but after a few months starts to be harder to clean and get dirty faster. Crizal Avance stays easy to clean. It's also amazingly scratch resistant. My husband is very hard on his glasses and his lenses from January still look good.

I like Hoya lenses and wish we used them more where I work, but they like to mainly use an Essilor lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Some extra information:

I find that Essilor's top tier coating is excellent (I won't name it as all these coatings have different names in different areas of the world), but their basic MAR is very poor.

Zeiss only have two coatings; their basic one is very good, equivalent to Hoya's mid-range coating, but their top-tier coating is not as good as Essilor's or Hoya's.

Rodenstock are OK in all tiers but not excellent. Again their basic AR is poor.

Hoya are, in my opinion, by far the best in the bottom and mid tiers, but their top tier coating is only slightly better than Essilor's.

I hope some of that made sense.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Thanks Everyone .......So It Goes This way :

Basic A/R : 1.ZEISS 2.HOYA 3/4 ESSILOR & RODENSTOCK
    Mid Range A/R : 1.HOYA 2.ESSILOR 3.RODENSTOCK
    Top Range A/R : 1. ESSILOR / HOYA 2.RODENSTOCK 3.ZEISS

Can we say ............HOYA wins The Trophy when you Dispense MID/TOP Range Lenses ?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We only use Toledo Opticals own Acclaro Elite. It's equal to any top coating and the warranty is much better and quicker turn around and service is awesome. Did I say I love this lab ? The only reason we use any other lab is that VSP requires some to go to Columbus. NO WHERE near the same.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by manoj_verma View Post
    Thanks Everyone .......So It Goes This way :

Basic A/R : 1.ZEISS 2.HOYA 3/4 ESSILOR & RODENSTOCK
    Mid Range A/R : 1.HOYA 2.ESSILOR 3.RODENSTOCK
    Top Range A/R : 1. ESSILOR / HOYA 2.RODENSTOCK 3.ZEISS

Can we say ............HOYA wins The Trophy when you Dispense MID/TOP Range Lenses ?

In my opinion, yes, but I am sure there will be others who have a differing opinion.

But I would bet a lot of money you will be very impressed with Hoya's coatings. Their lenses can be difficult to dispense, though. You will probably have fewer non-tol's with Essilor. However, I would say that Hoya and Zeiss' products are superior, which is why I use them.

Which is not to say that Essilor's lenses are bad; they are great (shame I can't say the same for the company).

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm 100% with Happy Lady.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Some extra information:

I find that Essilor's top tier coating is excellent (I won't name it as all these coatings have different names in different areas of the world), but their basic MAR is very poor.

Zeiss only have two coatings; their basic one is very good, equivalent to Hoya's mid-range coating, but their top-tier coating is not as good as Essilor's or Hoya's.

Rodenstock are OK in all tiers but not excellent. Again their basic AR is poor.

Hoya are, in my opinion, by far the best in the bottom and mid tiers, but their top tier coating is only slightly better than Essilor's.

I hope some of that made sense.

I disagree with Zeiss only having two coatings. They have a lot more than that. I do like the Zeiss Purecoat. It's much better than the Zeiss Et and Zeiss Super ET and is just a little better than the Carat Advantage.

I work with Zeiss products but have in the past working the Seiko and Hoya. Hoya anti-reflective coatings have always been excellent. I also like whatever coating Seiko was putting on the Seiko Succeed two to three years ago. Saw great life out of that coating.

Honestly not too familiar with Essilor coatings. I know they advertise like crazy though.

1. Hoya 2. Zeiss/Seiko (very close second)

All in all its all going to depend on how they are taken care of. If this is for a eyecare professional than any of them should work just fine. If it is for a patient/customer than they will find a way to destroy it.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I have removed several posts that are advertisements, off-topic and argumentative. Please stick to the original poster's questions. Thank you.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really like Hoya's EX3 and Crizal Avance. They do well for me. Purecoat does okay and I have zero point of reference for Rodenstock.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1 for EX3 we do very well with it.

Bad address email on file Psychobablr7's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For our office EX3 is the best and Unity is the worst.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Curious about the Ice Tech 'Premium Clear Blue' and 'Advanced Green' treatments. Their high power wrap lenses seem to be all the rage - but how does their A/R stack up against the competition?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The best AR for patients that work and play in the real world and expect to get more than 15mo. wear out of the lenses = none at all. Especially for those that live in the South and have more than one pair of glasses and leave the rest in the car.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Crizal coating is not as good as it's price.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

What a resourcefull thread..............

What a resourcefull thread..............this is the best and that is the best, nobody gives a reason why. So far it looks like I want glasses without it.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did anyone note that when in another thread I said I had ruined a pair of expensive AR coatings by leaving them in the car while fishing the heat was too much. Everyone, especially those that insist nothing should leave thier store without AR, said "What are you doing leaving your expensive (read delicate) lenses where they could be harmed." These are the very people who insist that mechanics, automobile painters, glass workers, etc. need the very best high tech (read AR) coatings.
    I have also ruined several pair wearing the coating off looking in a slit-lamp. (now you may tell me how I should coat the eyepieces on the slit-lamp and lensometers).
    These are not particularly strenious things for a glasses wearer to do. When compared to a lot of other real life activities they should be concidered rather low risk.
    De stuff ain't ready fo de publick yet. True we do make a lot of money off it and true it may enhance vision, preception and cosmetics. But so does a coat of paint which has no primer applied beneath it, for a while.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I find that Crizal Avance is the generally the most grease resistant, however, it degrades faster than many, and in addition, there are some men who just gunk up that coating (mismatch of body chemistrie maybe?) leaving a thin "fog" even when new, my second nod would go to Seiko Surpass ECP, more consistant, and it seems to stay grease free longer. I find Hoya EX3 more durable, but not as quite grease resistant. I have terrible luck keeping my Purecoat clean. Standard Crizal is way down the list.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Nikon ICE

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    The best AR for patients that work and play in the real world and expect to get more than 15mo. wear out of the lenses = none at all. Especially for those that live in the South and have more than one pair of glasses and leave the rest in the car.
    The Nikon ICE (old) and SEE Coat (current brand name) coating is quite outstanding, and in the real world you can expect to get 5+ years out of it with proper care. I speak from personal experience, having been in Nikon lenses for about 20 years, SV at first and PALs now. I routinely use my glasses while looking through the ocular of an optical instrument where there is opportunity for lens-to-lens contact damage, yet I have had no problems with scratching (knock on plastic). The ICE is a very hard coating, so you MUST avoid rapid temperature changes (example, washing the lens with hot water immediately after coming indoors from freezing weather). I recently destroyed a pair by accidentally leaving them on the black dashboard of my car on a sunny day -- the metal rims got so hot they fried the tops of the lenses and destroyed the coating -- my bad. The AR color is not terribly obvious, tending toward a faint blue, but it shows face oil like crazy. Easily and consistently cleaned with wet rinse, followed by any lens cleaning solution (liquid soap, ammonia, etc.) if the lenses have oil on them, then a quick rinse and micro-fibre towel drying. Nikon includes a micro-fibre swatch with each lens, so you have no excuse about being a bonehead and drying with something scratchy.
    Last edited by Prince Nez; 09-11-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Nez View Post
    Th

The ICE is a very hard coating, so you MUST avoid rapid temperature changes (example, washing the lens with hot water immediately after coming indoors from freezing weather).

.................or do not hop into a warm taxicab when living in subzero temperatures in Eskimo land.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    None of us have mentioned Shamir, but the rep told me recently that their AR gave the best Bayer-Test results in the industry. I don't, however, use Shamir so I wouldn't know. Can anybody verify this?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    None of us have mentioned Shamir, but the rep told me recently that their AR gave the best Bayer-Test results in the industry. I don't, however, use Shamir so I wouldn't know. Can anybody verify this?
    As far as I know, Shamir has never made or sold an AR. As well, Bayer Testing is just one factor, a hard AR is more prone to crazing due to temperature changes. Some very high Bayer rated ARs do not do as well in Colt's RLS testing, which simulates normal temperatue changes. The best AR's have some flexibility to match the base material.

Thread Information