Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best A/R

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    As far as I know, Shamir has never made or sold an AR. As well, Bayer Testing is just one factor, a hard AR is more prone to crazing due to temperature changes. Some very high Bayer rated ARs do not do as well in Colt's RLS testing, which simulates normal temperatue changes. The best AR's have some flexibility to match the base material.

I was just about to say, "Why have I not heard about a Shamir coating?"

MY Shamir rep knows I'm a tech geek and to tell me about everything new. Hrmmm...
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Bear in mind I'm in the UK. I swear the rep was trying to sell me Shamir coatings. Weird. So, in the US/Canada, do Shamir only sell semi-finished?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We deal in primarily Crizal and Hoya, Correct me if I'm wrong but I have been led to believe that Hoya is the only company that does substrate matching so you wont get the newton ring effect that you get with other companies. Appears to be most noticeable on 1.74 from my experience.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I believe Hoya is the only company to actively market their substrate matching prowess. It's been ages since I've seen any of ol Newt's rings in any of the higher quality 'name brand' A/R's myself. I think the bigger overall push of the last five years or so has been improved abrasion resistance and enhancing the oleo/hydrophobic properties of the top tier offerings. Customers get that - though I expect you'd be hard pressed to meet many consumers who know about (or indeed even care about) the possibility of slight rings in their A/R when being looked at. I'm guessing the blank stare you'd likely get as you tried to explain it in many cases might cost you the upgrade...

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper The Best A/R Coating in terms of Smudge resistance .........................

Quote Originally Posted by manoj_verma View Post

Kindly Help me choose The Best A/R Coating in terms ofSmudge resistance , Which help to avoid Fingerprints.

This thread has been hanging around forever and I never looked at it until now.

Funny that in my MHO no one has really addressed the original question and has given a valid answer to it, just the usual go round and round.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The newton rings are caused by Hard Coats and AR processes with an ABBE value different from the base material... and not solved by Substrate Matching.

Hard coats come in two flavors, tintable and non-tintable, one each for every material in a perfect world. But we don't live in a perfect world. Hard Coat laquer is very expensive and unstable, so we live in a cost effective one. So most small and medium labs compromise, they either carry 2 or 3 indexes only, tintable only. The result is birefringence when they don't match ABBE value. Very few labs are big enough to have every hard coat, in every material available. Its why most high end AR's are still outsourced, as is 1.74.

Hoya is not the only company to offer substrate matching. All it means is that the Hard Coat is matched the the base material. nothing more. Its not really magic, Hoya buys most of their hard coats from Matsui Resin company of Japan, so anyone has the capability to do it. We once lived in a world of one great hard coat, but that changed a few years ago. More high end ARs are made with Hardcoats matched to the base material.

Don't believe the marketing hype, its just simply having more vats of good hard coat available. Its not really a technology per se.

Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    We deal in primarily Crizal and Hoya, Correct me if I'm wrong but I have been led to believe that Hoya is the only company that does substrate matching so you wont get the newton ring effect that you get with other companies. Appears to be most noticeable on 1.74 from my experience.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick
    The newton rings are caused by Hard Coats and AR processes with an ABBE value different from the base material... and not solved by Substrate Matching.
    I think you mean "refractive index" not "Abbe value." Interference fringes result when there is a difference in refractive index at the interface between two materials, particularly when there is a variation in coating thickness.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Yes, my bad. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darryl Meister View Post
    I think you mean "refractive index" not "Abbe value." Interference fringes result when there is a difference in refractive index at the interface between two materials, particularly when there is a variation in coating thickness.

Best regards,
    Darryl

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really do like Hoya's coatings. EX3 in particular. I did however want to throw something out there: when our Hoya Rep was telling us about their coatings (even though I was already sold on them), she told me what set Hoya's apart from others is that they are all substrate-matched. This confused me because I always assumed that everyone did that; my understanding of how AR worked was that the coating index must be the square root of the substrate index. Now, because I don't and never have worked in a surfacing lab, I never verified this. She told me that all other coatings had one formula that they used for all substrates. This made me feel a little stupid because I had never thought to look into it. What is the deal? Any input from the lab rats?

Edit: I just realized that this question was already posted in this thread. Sorry... But I'd still like to get more opinions.
    Last edited by musicvirtuoso; 01-15-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    Bear in mind I'm in the UK. I swear the rep was trying to sell me Shamir coatings. Weird. So, in the US/Canada, do Shamir only sell semi-finished?
    Rumor mill says Shamir created their AR stack using satis chemistry and tech. When E bought satis they effectively stopped the release of Shamir AR in the US, but it has been available in the EU for a while.

Again this is rumor mill, but I heard it from what I consider very reliable sources and yes that's source with an s so I am inclined to believe it.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper you can very simply renew the "Easy Clean" properties ...............................

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

The biggest issue I see with AR is how often they need to be cleaned and how easy they are to clean. Most AR does okay when new but after a few months starts to be harder to clean and get dirty faster. Crizal Avance stays easy to clean.

Actually there are now products available with which you can very simply renew the "Easy Clean" properties out of a spray bottle at very little cost. So the problem is solved that way.

Now you can actually use any type of AR coating, expensive, or cheap, and give or sell your patient a little bottle of the topcoat and problem is solved.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I like Zeiss Purecoat. Do not use it on a ft bifocal.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Spazmonkey View Post
    I like Zeiss Purecoat. Do not use it on a ft bifocal.
    Why?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    build up at the segment line. They use allure to help with that, but I have stopped ordering FT's from zeiss as they all come with a puddle across the seg. my local lab knocks it outta the park in that area. comes in perfect.

Thread Information