Thread: OAA/SEOC results

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie OAA/SEOC results

OK,

Some of you are asking about the meeting. It would have been better if you had been there. Where were you? That's what makes meetings successful.

For those of us who were there, it was a good meeting. Attendance was good. There were more people who registered as well as guests and exhibitors than in recent years of OAA. Looking over the evaluations and hearing comments on the education let us know that the education was some of the best that have ever been presented. I will have to stop here to thank each of the speakers for an outstanding job. Attendance in the classes were good, and participation was good.

The hotel is a good facility for this size conference, and although there seemed to be a glitch in the 800 number telling people that the room block was filled, those of us who were there, liked it. The issue of the miscommunication will be addressed for the future regional SEOC meeting. The hotel staff seem to go out of their way to make us feel welcome.

I'm not going to spill all of the issues of the delegate assembly here, but overall, even though there were issues that we, and let me repeat "we" discussed during the state leadership conference, "we" didn't follow up with. It was not an issue of "they" didn't address them, it was "we" didn't present them in the manner that action could be done. However, the board will take the points and begin work on them. We need to be patient, supportive, and willing to help when called on to do so. This will be a year of repair and rebuilding, and that can only happen with volunteers. This may have been a staff run organization in the past, but it is a volunteer run organization now, and will take a lot of help from us all.

The question may be "what will OAA be doing to help me this year?" The answer is..."What will you, as members of this profession, be doing to help?" The executive board has stated that it will focus on rebuilding and turning it's efforts back to legislation. It will be a tightly run ship and will need all of our help.

The OAA has moved, but you may still reach them at the same phone numbers. 800-443-8997. Remember that it is staff, who answer. They don't make decisions. The membership does, through involvement.

Hope this starts some comments on the meeting.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Successful Meeting

This meeting turned out to be a success on many fronts. The education was well received, and comments were excellent. The exhibit hall was small, but those vendors there were supportive and will return from comments I heard. As Diane has mentioned, there was little accomplished in the way of actual change, but as I sat there and listened, I think I can clearly say that we are on the road. There finally is a sense of realization that we MUST change from our past directions. The new leadership has good ideas and now it is up to us to not only support them but to see them accomplished. We must elect leaders with ability and vision, not someone we happen to think is due; not our "buddy", but the right representation and leadership to take us to the next level., and then push them forward! On a personal level, it was wonderful to see the many friends working towards a common cause, righting the OAA ship and setting sail for the future. I hope finally we are on the right path.

Warren

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For the first time

I was excited about the changes that are taking place at OAA.For the first time, I heard the leadership ask the membership for input.For the first time I heard the leadership ask for volunteers. For the first time, I heard the leadership remind the assembled delegates that it was Their (our) responsibility to mold and grow OAA. I must say that was a refreshing change from past meetings I have attended.

I think it is important to note that many meetings end on the upbeat, with the participants going out hell bent for leather, and once back home, revert back to "normal". This group can't let that happen.We have to follow through with the same spirit we left with. If everyone who left the delegates assembly comes back to next winter's meeting with a new member in tow, they will have suceeded with the purpose of Saturday's assembly.
    Now is the time to start talking it up.

WELCOME TO THE NEW OAA....bring a friend!

hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well, if you want comments, get ready. If you also want a little contoversy, get ready.

I am NOT picking on anyone who has posted so far to insult, but I want to make this perfectly clear.

The meeting is over, but no one is willing to speak about it. This smacks of the old Q & A "how do you keep an A**hole in suspense? I'll tell you tomorrow."

Why weren't we there? Couldn't get the time off, couln't afford the trip, couldn't use the trip as a business expense, etc.

Again, you want people to join the group, but if you aren't willing to speak up, and want to keep the info all to yourselves, then how can we, as potential members, make an informed decision to join or not.

Don't ostracize those that ask questions that ARE difficult to answer. After all, I don't vote in elections without being informed and asking questions when info is needed.

Bob V.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What is it that you want to know?

Bob,
    Why not start by asking what you want to know, without beating around the bush.I only attended the delegates but will be happy to share whatever I learned there.

Not to denegrate your comments BUT If your livelyhood is as important as you would seem to indicate why not just TAKE the time off required.If the dollars involved for your participation are not there, why not start SAVING up now for the winter meeting? One of the reasons the dollars may not be there is the erosion of your business due to factors that could be helped by a stronger OAA.

It is strange to see that the people who cry poormouth still manage to hang in to continue to complain, while earning their daily bread from this business.If your industry is not important enough for you to spend the time, money, and effort required, why not look for something else to do.

I did not take your post as an insult and I did not mean my reply as an insult to you Bob.I meant it period.

best from hj
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My turn, my turn!

The first thing I'd like to do is congratulate Diane Drake, Joe and Peggy Reed and the Opticians Association of Georgia for an outstanding convention. The venue was wonderful, the education was world-class and the trade show was well organized and interesting.

The Board of Directors meeting on Thursday morning was the most informative one I've been to in my three years as a Director. While the financials were uncomfortable, they were real and understandable even to this non-financially oriented person. We have a road map to follow with guidance from ABO-NCLE and our membership. We have 1 dedicated staff person, and so are truly a volunteer-driven organization for the first time in many years.

We will be able to announce the location for the next convention within 30 days. I am pretty confident that it will be in Jan-Feb of 2003 and in a WARM location. We will probably combine the national convention with the Leadership Conference for the first time in a number of years.

There are by-law changes already in the works to be submitted for consideration at the next Delegate Assembly. I would suggest that if you're not in a position to vote in the Delegate Assembly, you do what is necessary to be in a position to cast a vote.

Delegates at the Assembly were able to question the current leadership about our status and our future and were given real, honest, no holds barred answers. Subsequent conversations lead me to believe that those Delegates understand where we are and what kind of work will need to be done to move forward and most importantly that EVERYONE will need to work.

If you want this organization to regain its leadership role in the ophthalmic community, you're going to have to help any way that you can. Simply sitting and waiting for someone else to do it won't work, because there isn't anyone else BUT you to get things done.

FYI, I closed my shop, drove the 10 hours to Atlanta and shared a room with a friend to save expenses and paid my own way all the way. The income I missed last week has more than made itself up my first 2 days back in the store because my customers knew to come back and see what I had "new" for them!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Hello everyone!

This was the first OAA Convention that I had the priviledge to attend. I had an exceptional experience and look forward to next year. The OAA is on the right track and has a long healthy future ahead.

Talk to you later,
    Mark

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up OAA direction

The comments and briefing I received from Mark Brezvai sounds promising. I hope the dialogue continues here because I feel we have a true representation of progressive ideas and a national board willing to work with its constituency.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question When will the

time and place for the leadership conference and convention be decided?

Keep us posted.

:cheers: Jerry
    The mighty oak tree was once a little nut that held its ground

Thread Information