Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 159

Thread: Making Optiboard a more welcoming place!

  1. #1
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Down in a hole!
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,045

    Making Optiboard a more welcoming place!

    As a whole, we have not been a very welcoming community to newbies. I think that we tend to scare off those who are new to the business. I know that I have been guilty of it.....have you?

    How can we change? How can we become the community of optical professionals that we should be? How can we improve how we handle new members?

    I am on a personal mission to try to change the climate here and make it more welcoming. I encourage others to join me in trying to make a difference.

    I posted in a thread about sending newbies info, materials, websites, contact info, etc. to help and encourage them.

    http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...134#post431134


    Let's step up........not aside!


  2. #2
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    705
    Well said Fezz.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12,996
    If we can't vent all or venom and frustration on the net trying to make ourselves look better by putting others down, aren't you afraid of mass suicides of older optiboarders?

    Chip

  4. #4
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3,191
    I am with ya Fezz! Lets encourage people to be a part of this industry and to embrace it. That way people like Chip can feel a bit better at night about the people who will take over after he retires from the industy ;)
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

  5. #5
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle WA
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    3,137
    Great job Fezz! I am in. Beer Scouts unite!
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy ~Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Down in a hole!
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,045
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If we can't vent all or venom and frustration on the net trying to make ourselves look better by putting others down, aren't you afraid of mass suicides of older optiboarders?

    Chip

    Will you step up....or step aside? How can you help?

  7. #7
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Down in a hole!
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,045
    I have been thinking and kicking ideas around. One of my main thoughts is:

    *A Newbie Mentor Section
    This could be a section of dedicated Optiboarders who are willing to help without the BS usually associated with replies in the general forum. My thought is that maybe newbies would feel more comfortable posting in the "No Hassle Zone"

  8. #8
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    3,191
    I think that is an excellent idea Fezz! Heck, I bet there are many old timers besides myself that dont' know it all yet, or at least need some reminders on things once in a while..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

  9. #9
    Master OptiBoarder optigrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The surface of the sun on a rainy day
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    1,336
    We just need to spread the kindness everywhere, regardless of the situation. More and more the stress of our daily lives as well as our patients and customers are rising with the state of the world and this brings about a lot of negativity in our daily interactions. Pushing ourselves to take the extra step and be strong and be nice will go a long way in helping to combat this.

  10. #10
    Master OptiBoarder optigrrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    The surface of the sun on a rainy day
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    1,336
    Thanks Fezzy, for bringing this to light!

  11. #11
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Tallahassee, Florida, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have been thinking and kicking ideas around. One of my main thoughts is:

    *A Newbie Mentor Section
    This could be a section of dedicated Optiboarders who are willing to help without the BS usually associated with replies in the general forum. My thought is that maybe newbies would feel more comfortable posting in the "No Hassle Zone"
    That's a great idea! I'm in for this one.

  12. #12
    Master OptiBoarder LENNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    BROOKLYNSK, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4,327
    Ok, ok I will be nice!!!!:)

  13. #13
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    44
    I have allways been told it is nicer to say Please and Thank You to new comers. Like" Please don't ask dumb questions or Thank You for being a Newbie Idiot". Sounds a little more polite

  14. #14
    OptiGeek Wes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    3,177
    Sign me up.

  15. #15
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    north of 49
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,980
    O.K., Fezz.

    I, uncut, hereby pledge not to send newbies home in tears, crying to mommy that they weren't welcome at Optiboard.

    I, uncut, promise not to maim any flies, furry critters, or monsters, at least for today!

    I, uncut, also promise not to tell newbies to stick their nose into anything.
    Eyes wide open

  16. #16
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    new york
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Posts
    3,749
    You're right...but sometimes we can't tell if newbies are real optical people or consumers or vendors in disguise. We tend to jump all over these people. Obvious consumers should politely be reminded of the rules. The not so obvious posters should be given a few more posts and be asked a few more questions, since there is really no way to verify someone's credentials.

    We should not vent our own philosophical differences on first time posters.

  17. #17
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    north of 49
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,980
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I have been thinking and kicking ideas around. One of my main thoughts is:

    *A Newbie Mentor Section
    This could be a section of dedicated Optiboarders who are willing to help without the BS usually associated with replies in the general forum. My thought is that maybe newbies would feel more comfortable posting in the "No Hassle Zone"
    You mean like a "newbie daycare"?
    Eyes wide open

  18. #18
    OptiGeek Wes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Posts
    3,177
    I know this isn't in the spirit of this thread, but I'd like to share why the "stupid" questions annoy me. I don't mind the intelligent questions, but the ones displaying a near total lack of knowledge that any optician should posess from someone calling himself an optician really gets my hackles up. It's because I call myself an optician as well, and that person is giving us all a bad name. Now I realize that keeping that individual ignorant, not helping him progress, is furthering the bad name. So I help anyway. Sometimes grudgingly.

    I can't help but think none of this would be a problem if we had standards. That's the point of that ABO survey. Does an optician encounter this or that in the first two years? Yep. Should know all that stuff before practicing as an optician. Those surveys are being used to support a position that many are pushing for.

    Anyone else?

  19. #19
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,430
    I'm not going to allow this thread to be de-railed. In most states anyone can be labeled an optician. Yes, we need standards, but in the mean time we hurt no one by helping each other.

    Back in 1972, when I took my first job in this industry, before I knew that Opticianry was a viable career path, I had plenty of "stupid" questions. They were answered politely and helpfully and it made all the difference for me.

  20. #20
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    NC
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    646
    Newbies should get a subscription and post their dumb questions to the eyecare professionals forum. That's what I do. Really dumb questions I PM to certain soft-hearted opticians who'll do their best to answer it- you know who you are.

    pseudonym (coming up on year one in the business)

  21. #21
    OptiBoard Apprentice
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    on the edge
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    26
    I am a "newbie" and asked my first question not long ago. I was met with very mean-spirited replies by one person in general. Most of the people were very kind. I was VERY discouraged! I received many private notifications of apologies by the nice people on here, but I also received some that said they were met with the same kind of replies as a
    "newbie". Some things some people do every day may not be something that someone else is familiar with. I don't think newbies want to be held by the hand, but to make them feel like they are not asking a stupid question would be nice. I like that idea.

  22. #22
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    7,430
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    I'm not going to allow this thread to be de-railed. In most states anyone can be labeled an optician. Yes, we need standards, but in the mean time we hurt no one by helping each other.

    Back in 1972, when I took my first job in this industry, before I knew that Opticianry was a viable career path, I had plenty of "stupid" questions. They were answered politely and helpfully and it made all the difference for me.
    Too late...but it was a nice thought.

  23. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    12,996
    The stupidest question, is the question not asked.

  24. #24
    OptiBoard Apprentice junebuggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    The frozen tundra
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    22
    This is why those of us who took this most recent ABO are going berserk for results! Until we prove ourselves worthy we certainly don't seem welcome.

    And while I'm ranting, thanks ABO for putting up that survey on the front page and not updating us on the progress of our tests. A blurb on the log-in page of any delay would be appreciated. Three weeks is a long time for page maintenance...

  25. #25
    Forever Liz's Dad Steve Machol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Back in AZ
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    9,611
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I know this isn't in the spirit of this thread, but I'd like to share why the "stupid" questions annoy me. I don't mind the intelligent questions, but the ones displaying a near total lack of knowledge that any optician should posess from someone calling himself an optician really gets my hackles up. It's because I call myself an optician as well, and that person is giving us all a bad name. Now I realize that keeping that individual ignorant, not helping him progress, is furthering the bad name. So I help anyway. Sometimes grudgingly.
    I can certainly undersatand that, but in all fairness we were all newbies at some point. The mere fact that someone is taking the time to seek out knowledge and advice from a community of professionals should be rewarded, not discouraged. These are the people we should be helping.

    Quote Originally Posted by Browneyes1208 View Post
    I am a "newbie" and asked my first question not long ago. I was met with very mean-spirited replies by one person in general. Most of the people were very kind. I was VERY discouraged! I received many private notifications of apologies by the nice people on here, but I also received some that said they were met with the same kind of replies as a
    "newbie". Some things some people do every day may not be something that someone else is familiar with. I don't think newbies want to be held by the hand, but to make them feel like they are not asking a stupid question would be nice. I like that idea.
    I'm sorry for the bad apple, but unfortunately such people are a fact of life, particularly in the online and anonymous world of the Internet. It's important to keep in mind that you will always run into jerks wherever you go. The only thing within your control is how you respond. Don't let the jerks get to you. They really aren't important enough to give them any power over your life.


    OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Damn Shame They are making ours and We aren't making thiers.
    By chip anderson in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 08:37 AM
  2. Where's the best place to get...
    By dammy05 in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-20-2011, 11:18 AM
  3. welcoming the customer
    By OdTech in forum Just Conversation
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-30-2005, 12:01 PM
  4. This is the Place!
    By Steve Machol in forum Optical Marketplace
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-17-2000, 10:34 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics and Vision Equipment