Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Prisim issue

Ok so to start with the Rx

OD +2.75, 4.5 BI prisim
    OS +2.75, 4.0 BU prisim

But the doctor also wrote "ground-in prisim only"

We did 2 pairs of glasses, and the doctor says we did 1 right and the other isn't ground in - it's decentralized. I was under the impression that so long as it's done correctly (which from my reading of the Rx and our lab's as well after double checking it) that it ammounts to the same thing. Am I missing something? I feel like I am.
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That amount of prism will look much better ground in, optically and aesthetically.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    It's "decentered", not "decentralized", but "induced" is better.

Please ask the doctor to describe to you the method by which he concludes that the prism in the one pair is induced and not ground, and share it with us.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Could this be something like feed yourself with your right hand or feed yourself with your left hand. What would be the diffrence as long as you could feed yourself? After all it is the end result we are looking for isnt it.

But yes, depending on the size of the frame and the amount of prism and the PD some jobs will look much nicer if the prism was ground.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Obviously, edge thickness may be an issue; but that's true whenever you use a finished lens of more than trivial plus power. But the question was about "grinding prism", not about using a surfaced vs. a finished lens. One could surface a lens to the appropriate thickness, with no prism, and then induce prism by decentration, and end up with exactly the same edge thickness as with a lens on which prism had been ground.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    A rose by any other name still smells as sweet.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    Please ask the doctor to describe to you the method by which he concludes that the prism in the one pair is induced and not ground, and share it with us.
    My guess is that one pair had a greater minimum thickness, strongly suggesting, but not assuring that the lens was decentered to induce the Rx prism.

opticianbart- a +2.75 should almost always be surfaced to achieve an optimal minimal thickness, prism or not, and/or if the surface design is aspheric/atoric (with Rx prism).
    Last edited by Robert Martellaro; 07-13-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    It's "decentered", not "decentralized", but "induced" is better.

Apparently the Dr. comes from the school of "it's the optician's fault" I've since been given a slightly different Rx in the left eye. Apparently the Dr. told them we'd made it wrong and then given them a new Rx sheet, but they didn't bring it in because they assumed we already had it.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kind of reminds me of an old EENT man who used to say: "I'm not a prism man, can't you do it with decentration." I might add that he was the best eye muscle surgeon ever.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by opticianbart View Post
    Apparently the Dr. comes from the school of "it's the optician's fault" I've since been given a slightly different Rx in the left eye. Apparently the Dr. told them we'd made it wrong and then given them a new Rx sheet, but they didn't bring it in because they assumed we already had it.
    I LOVE IT!

They made wrong and by the way give them a totally different RX while they changing the lenses at their expense!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That deserves two binocularly placed pies, doncha think!!!!!

Eyes wide open

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Was there any reason given for not splitting the prism for cosmetic reasons?
    2.87 base down and in @321 degrees OD and 2.87 base up and in @ 141 degrees OS looks a lot better than:
    4.5 BI prism OD
    4.0 BU prism OS
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Usually no, but it is wise to consult with the prescriber. There are times when splitting it is not the wisest course of action for certian conditions.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Was there any reason given for not splitting the prism for cosmetic reasons?
    2.87 base down and in @321 degrees OD and 2.87 base up and in @ 141 degrees OS looks a lot better than:
    4.5 BI prism OD
    4.0 BU prism OS
    No reason was given. However the frame in use is small enough that there isn't too much thickness - especially after using poly.

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Usually no, but it is wise to consult with the prescriber. There are times when splitting it is not the wisest course of action for certian conditions.

Chip
    I've run into a few cases where Doctors have written "do not split prisim" before, what kind of conditions make it so the prisim shouldn't be split?

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know what conditions should not be split. I do know some very skilled OMD's that do and can find out if you really want to know. However from an opticians standpoint, those that should not be split are those that the prescriber says: "Do not split prism."

Chip

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    I don't know what conditions should not be split. I do know some very skilled OMD's that do and can find out if you really want to know. However from an opticians standpoint, those that should not be split are those that the prescriber says: "Do not split prism."

Chip
    I would like to know the reasoning for when you can, or shouldn't split prisms.

OptiBoard Professional Jamelina's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the "it's the optician's fault" mentality ...not too long ago we made a pair of glasses for a patient that included prism. A few days after we dispensed them the patient returned angry with a page long hand-written letter from his ophthalmologist (which included some very amusing spelling errors) accusing us of making the glasses incorrectly because....wait for it....the eye size in the new frame was 1 mm different than is previous frame. Needless to say there weren't any frame measurement specifications on the written prescription provided to us initially. Love it!

Thread Information