Thread: Cleaning lenses coated with Sapphire

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Cleaning lenses coated with Sapphire

What is the best way to clean lenses coated with Sapphire? I have a patient complaining that her glasses are smeared and she can't do anything about it. I cleaned them by running under warm water and wiping with a Sapphire cleaning cloth, and they looked fine to me. She says they are still smudged and besides that she doesn't want to buy more cleaning cloths. Thanks.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If it is in a acetate frame......perimeter oil buildup is the cause. Ultrasonic occasional cleaning is the answer.....in offfice.

Look carefully for eyelash tracks....the most annoying and instantaneous, tenacious smear. Increase pantoscopic angle, or vertex, to eliminate, if bilateral.

Use a oil-cutting liquid cleaner. It is easier than trying to deal with a oily towel/wipe.

Check that the inside of the case isn't that "funny" greasy fabric, which seems to make every AR coated lens greasy......every time you put them away!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Tell her to wash her glasses at home with a grease-cutting dish soap.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I suggest taking the eyewear apart and doing a thorough cleaning of the frame and lenses.

Once that is done, I would review the following very informative article written by our very own, Barry Santini, on proper lens care. I found it an interesting read and I learned a lot from it!

http://www.2020mag.com/ce/TTViewTest...essonId=107161

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    Tell her to wash her glasses at home with a grease-cutting dish soap.
    I seem to remember being told here on Optiboard that detergents can eventually affect AR because of its added chemicals and that simple mild soaps only (Palmolive, Ivory, hand soaps without added lotions etc.) should be used.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We like to use a gel cleaner from california accesories. It does a great job on lenses with all the phobics. Also +1 on the build up so a periodic ultra sonic is best if possible.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Great article, but it doesn't really address how to clean the cloths we use repeatedly before a dispense. I've been taking them home and dunking them in near boiling water mixed with a drop of Dawn for a couple of hours. Then rinse them in a colander until I'm sure there's no detergent left. Sometimes I still get one that's been "cleaned" but it leaves a residue on the glasses anyway.

How do you all clean them for reuse?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Thanks for all you efforts to help me, but I did not make the situation clear in my previous post. The glasses in question were newly dispenses to the patient on Monday. She tried to clean them on Wednesday the way she cleaned her old pair, with mild dishwashing detergent and patted dry with a paper towel. But the lenses looked foggy and smeared. Then she tried running them under hot water, which according to Barry's piece would not have worked. Finally she tried rubbing them with the cleaning cloth we gave her, but couldn't achieve the clear, clean look of her old glasses which were coated with an older type of Crizal. I haven't had much experience with Sapphire, but it does seem more difficult to clean than anything I've previously encountered.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by oxmoon View Post
    Thanks for all you efforts to help me, but I did not make the situation clear in my previous post. The glasses in question were newly dispenses to the patient on Monday. She tried to clean them on Wednesday the way she cleaned her old pair, with mild dishwashing detergent and patted dry with a paper towel. But the lenses looked foggy and smeared. Then she tried running them under hot water, which according to Barry's piece would not have worked. Finally she tried rubbing them with the cleaning cloth we gave her, but couldn't achieve the clear, clean look of her old glasses which were coated with an older type of Crizal. I haven't had much experience with Sapphire, but it does seem more difficult to clean than anything I've previously encountered.
    Someome may shoot me down for this, but when they come in with oil buildup (usually at the top), I turn my back on the person and spread a little 70% alcohol over the lens with my finger. Then I turn back around and let them see me use the regular spray.

The reason I don't let them see the alcohol is they think they can use it all the time. Doesn't matter what you say to warn them, what they see is you rubbing alcohol on it and clearing everything up.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had this happen once when the person at the edger did not properly remove the coating after edging. I know that sounds obvious but you never know.

Other than that, dawn sparingly and and Kim wipes. The California Accessories gel stuff rocks too for everyday, but with summer sweat here we use dawn a lot. Also, if she ran her cloth through the wash with fabric softener, that may be your culprit.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    I have a couple of pairs with Sapphire and have been happy with how clean they remain. I don't do anything unusual- lens cleaner and a micro fiber cloth- the Crizal cloth or something very similar. In fact, they remain so clean and clear, I've had quite a few people in public question me as to whether or not I'm wearing lenses. Never thought I'd get that.

As for washing the cloths, usually I rinse them out at the sink. So far so good.

Perhaps she is somebody that generates skin oils quickly, make-up or hair product getting on the frame and making its way to the lenses, pooling a little near the bevel? Yummm.

Per pseudonym, I agree re: the alcohol. I do that sometimes as well. In fact this morning. Lady has the new Trans Xtra Active. A ring to the outside of the lens just didn't get that dark. Oil buildup. Alcohol cleaned it off and they worked normally again. Just icky buildup.

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    I seem to remember being told here on Optiboard that detergents can eventually affect AR because of its added chemicals and that simple mild soaps only (Palmolive, Ivory, hand soaps without added lotions etc.) should be used.
    Mild detergents are fine. I use Ivory hand soap in a pump dispenser for general cleaning, dish detergent if they are exceptionally oily, rinsed well with water, and dried with a very high quality microfiber cloth. http://www.toraysee.jp/e/

Quote Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
    Great article, but it doesn't really address how to clean the cloths we use repeatedly before a dispense.
    The microfiber cloths? Launder without fabric softener or hand wash. I use Kimwipes at the dispensing table, primarily for sanitary reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I had this happen once when the person at the edger did not properly remove the coating after edging. I know that sounds obvious but you never know.
    I've had this happen on a few occasions- denatured or regular alcohol removes the residue.
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Maybe they applied optifog to it. I find those pretty annoying to clean.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Many "soft soaps" have oils, such as lanolin to keep them liquid. Have found that they can leave a residue on rigid contact lenses. Suspect that they can do the same on spectacle lenses.
    Get a patient that uses Dove or Camay or any number of "soaps" that keep skin soft and you will have a patient with greasy contact lenses. And no, antibacterial soap isn't good easier even if "Patients expect to see anti-bacterial soap in a doctor's office."
    The purpose of soap is to mix oil with water. Mearly this and nothing more.

Chip

One eye sees, the other feels OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Many "soft soaps" have oils, such as lanolin to keep them liquid. Have found that they can leave a residue on rigid contact lenses. Suspect that they can do the same on spectacle lenses.
    If you really want an artsy, soft focus view of the world, rub vaseline onto your lenses!
    Science is a way of trying not to fool yourself. - Richard P. Feynman

Experience is the hardest teacher. She gives the test before the lesson.

Thread Information