Thread: Ubuntu

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Question Ubuntu

Does anyone here have any experience with Ubuntu as an operating system?? If so how does it compare to Windows?? Any other info would also be nice

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I have a PC that is running Ubuntu for my email server. The last time it rebooted was last December when we had a power failure. It is very stable.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Try it, You can run it off a bootable Cd or thumb drive, very easy to setup a dual boot also.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've experimented with it. It's fun. It's cute. It works if you can't afford a windows or apple operating system. But then the fun ends when you cannot add certain hardware, or you can't make your speakers work, yada yada. I'm sure there are people that can work wonders with it. But it is like committing yourself to learning a new language.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Love me some Linux...

It's what I dump on all my aging computers to get a few more months/year or two while saving up for a new PC. The way Linux is written it's virtually un-crashable. But you get what you pay for, free, getting a little better for the non-computer savvy, still a geek's playground.

I keep a live bootable CD around in case I need to get into a secure file system. Helps when people forget their passwords and you need to get files off before doing a clean install. Also can be used to recover data when Windows gets too infected or just plain BSOD's

One of the few or maybe the only, where you can do system configurations with a text editor when in command line mode.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I have had a terrible experience with Ubuntu. I like changing my OS on regular basis (OS as on going from windows xp to 7 different versions.) I got a free cd of Ubuntu and thought of trying it out but i was not able to format my computer or install the OS properly cause of which all my data got erased. since then i have stopped experiment

Occupation
    The reason that I ask is because I have an old laptop with XP on it that is totally messed up beyond repair. I'm tooo cheap to buy a new copy of XP, so I was thinking about Ubuntu as it is FREE. I'll only be using this on fishing/camping trips and occasionally walks to the park.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    The reason that I ask is because I have an old laptop with XP on it that is totally messed up beyond repair. I'm tooo cheap to buy a new copy of XP, so I was thinking about Ubuntu as it is FREE. I'll only be using this on fishing/camping trips and occasionally walks to the park.
    It will probably work fine in this case. You may not be able to install some of your favorite programs though, like Microsoft Word...but if you are just going to use it for web browsing and email, then it will be fine.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    It will probably work fine in this case. You may not be able to install some of your favorite programs though, like Microsoft Word...but if you are just going to use it for web browsing and email, then it will be fine.
    This is what I'm thinking. There is a small, basic word processor, spreadsheet and Power point type program that comes with it that should be more than normally needed. I'll be using Firefox as a browser and Thunderbird as an email program. This and mobile high-speed should be good while I'm at the lake murdering trouts and bass and bluegills........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    This is what I'm thinking. There is a small, basic word processor, spreadsheet and Power point type program that comes with it that should be more than normally needed. I'll be using Firefox as a browser and Thunderbird as an email program. This and mobile high-speed should be good while I'm at the lake murdering trouts and bass and bluegills........
    You might want to try Google Chrome browser. I think it uses less overhead and responds better especially on old machines.

Occupation
    Hello i read these forums to help figure out problems and i dont post alot so i thought i would point out that if you have the sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the xp cd key you will only need to find a disc from someone to install xp and you can use you cd key and still be fine. I do not know if this is the case but just incase i have forgotten before the i had the cd on my comp and not with the disc. I borrowed my friends disc and used my cd key to reformat and all was well.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Clear Vision View Post
    Hello i read these forums to help figure out problems and i dont post alot so i thought i would point out that if you have the sticker on the bottom of the laptop with the xp cd key you will only need to find a disc from someone to install xp and you can use you cd key and still be fine. I do not know if this is the case but just incase i have forgotten before the i had the cd on my comp and not with the disc. I borrowed my friends disc and used my cd key to reformat and all was well.
    I do have it Thank You

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    XP will die 04/08/2014, after that date MS will regard it as so and won't acknowledge it's existence as an OS, just a piece of MS history. Use XP while it's still viable, you won't catch me getting on line after that date on an XP machine. W7 is supported through 2020 though.

Ubuntu should fit your needs beautifully.
    Clinton Tower

ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    XP will die 04/08/2014, after that date MS will regard it as so and won't acknowledge it's existence as an OS, just a piece of MS history. Use XP while it's still viable, you won't catch me getting on line after that date on an XP machine. W7 is supported through 2020 though.

Ubuntu should fit your needs beautifully.
    Question??? You wouldn't feel safe using XP with a browser like Chrome or Safari? Even Ubuntu has a cut off deadline where it doesn't get updated.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    No, not after 04/08/2014.

Typically, the only way to upgrade/update a MS OS is to pay $$ ( unless it's a SP ), not the case with Ubuntu, usually it's updated on an annual cycle. Safari, if I'm correct, is an Apple product and will only function on Mac's and iOS devices.
    Clinton Tower

ALT248=°

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by scriptfiller View Post
    No, not after 04/08/2014.

Typically, the only way to upgrade/update a MS OS is to pay $$ ( unless it's a SP ), not the case with Ubuntu, usually it's updated on an annual cycle. Safari, if I'm correct, is an Apple product and will only function on Mac's and iOS devices.
    Oops. I meant FireFox.

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I have use ubuntu one time. When i install it, i have lost my all data. I don't like that features. I think it is bore. I like XP.
    Last edited by combly22; 11-30-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Occupation
    I should give everyone an update on this. I installed Ubuntu to the PC and I LOVE it. It won't do some things, but that's OK for a computer that will only be used on strange excursions. The main use is social media, e-mail and light web surfing. I did have trouble downloading from the net so I paid $5 at the local computer store for a disk and loaded it that way. I'm using Libre as the office suite, Firefox and Thunderbird for e-mail.

Occupation
    One last update on this. I did a dual load with an old copy of XP, but find I use Ubuntu the most. I even did a dual load on my home computer and use it there over half the time. It does seem slower at times and some software won't work, but that is OK. The final load consists of:

Ubuntu 12.04
    Firefox (browser)
    Thunderbird (email)
    Libre Office 3 (office suite)
    Libre CAD ( CAD that makes designing frames easier than any other program)
    ClamTK (anti-virus)
    Also a generic scientific calculator

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Glad to hear it. I've used linux for years. The only reason I keep windows around anymore is for the occasional game that wont work there. It has come a long way, and you can see the life it breaths into old machines.

Thread Information