The Canadian government recently made it easier for non-Canadian students to take educational programs in Canada, provided they are 6-months or less in duration.

Since 1984, BC College of Optics, a private opticianry school in Vancouver, BC, CANADA has been offering just such a program of studies. This Certificate program has been formally accredited by the British Columbia Private Post-Secondary Education Commission (PPSEC)and offers strictly opticianry education.

A working knowledge of algebra at the Grade XI lev el is required along with English sufficient to read and understand this notice.

I started this school with little support from the BC optical community, as they administered a longer apprenticeship-style correspondence course and I became a competitor in 1984.

I have lookled at virtually all the correspondence programs available in the US and have developed a unique program that stresses optical theory, ie geometric optics with attendant
formulae that provides the basis for understanding optics and trouble-shooting problem fits.

Many US schools and organizations want to require an Associates Degree as a minimum qualification for entry into the field. While such a degree may procvide for a well-rounded individual, my students generally fall into two (2) categories, either they are older individuals seeking a career change and who don't have two (2) or more years to devote to study in a field that they may or may not enjoy...or they are new to Canada, immigrants who want quick and intensive training that qualifies them for an entry-level job.

Because of the Canadian government's recent change in policy regarding students in programs or 6-months duration or less, we can now accept United States nationals who wish an opticianry education that qualifies them pass the entry-level ABO/NCLE certification exams.

Indeed our program is broad enough that graduates have the necessary knowledge to pass the Advanced ABO/NCLE exams and the CLSA Fellow Exam.

I urge you to check out BC College of Optics program for yourself. Classes commence in September 2002 so you will have to hurry, as enrollment is limited and on a first-come basis.