Thread: Online Reading Glass Question

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Online Reading Glass Question

A while back one of my patients (my wife) purchased a pair of comfortable readers online that she really liked. She wanted to purchase another pair but couldn't locate the website. The glasses were frameless glasses with a non-hinged wrap around frame. The glasses are very lightweight and resembled our Silhouette line of frames. She paid about $30 for them and wanted another pair to use for beach and other activities, that might otherwise damage her prescription glasses. Has anyone ran across this style of reader online and can tell me who is selling them. Below is a photo of the inexpensive readers. Thanks. Lon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	readers.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	110.6 KB 
ID:	8704

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonwithrow View Post
    A while back one of my patients (my wife) purchased a pair of comfortable readers online that she really liked. She wanted to purchase another pair but couldn't locate the website. The glasses were frameless glasses with a non-hinged wrap around frame. The glasses are very lightweight and resembled our Silhouette line of frames. She paid about $30 for them and wanted another pair to use for beach and other activities, that might otherwise damage her prescription glasses. Has anyone ran across this style of reader online and can tell me who is selling them. Below is a photo of the inexpensive readers. Thanks. Lon

I think your best bet would be to go through the history on her browser, or see your local optician.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks but purchase was 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    I think your best bet would be to go through the history on her browser, or see your local optician.
    Thanks but she purchased them three years ago. I've asked two local opticians and they didn't know.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow...

Of course, I have no doubt that your are not a consumer, but a real live OD or optician, buuut, the day my wife started buying her glasses online would be the day I'd say goodbye to both her and my business.

Just saying...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Suspect on line readers would be more likely to be found near the check out line in some sort of dept. store or other non-rx type place. Seems I have seen something similar in Hudson's Salvage store, no idea where they got them.

Chip

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    if you're in the business you might know tha

t most frame manufacturers, (cheapy or high end) discontinue 90% of their inventory by the 3 year point.

yes, i'm pretty convinced this is a consumer. haha
    we shall see
    Last edited by spectaclegal; 06-28-2012 at 11:05 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

more...

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Wow...

Of course, I have no doubt that your are not a consumer, but a real live OD or optician, buuut, the day my wife started buying her glasses online would be the day I'd say goodbye to both her and my business.

Just saying...
    Is it really necessary to be insulting? If you don't know, simply ignore the question.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

i have maybe 1 to 3 in stock. they cost me 30 ish as you mentioned, not sure what powers i have, but let me know what ya need, i;ll be happy to check. also let me know what you're willing to offer to cover my out a pocket + shipping & what powers you need, i'll see what i can do.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by spectaclegal View Post
    i have maybe 1 to 3 in stock. they cost me 30 ish as you mentioned, not sure what powers i have, but let me know what ya need, i;ll be happy to check. also let me know what you're willing to offer to cover my out a pocket + shipping & what powers you need, i'll see what i can do.
    Don't forget her reading pd. Good luck with that.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is it really necessary to be insulting? If you don't know, simply ignore the question.
    It wasn't an insult. It was an honest statement from a passionate practitioner that takes pride in being the optical "go to guy" in my community. Of course, being "Dispensing", you realize the onslaught that we are all facing from online retailers, and yes, even for sales of readers.

My comment was simply pointing out what I would do, not what you should do.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Originally Posted by spectaclegal
    Don't forget her reading pd. Good luck with that.

haha Pseudonym. I called his (consumer) bluff & he has nothing to say. Poop. I wasn't at all serious. I may have something similar laying around, but he just does not get it. Maybe now.......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Wow...

Just saying...
    Copy that good buddy! And if she did buy them there I sure wouldn't click a mouse to help her find another pair!
    Chris Beard
    The State of Jefferson !

I'm a Medford man – Medford, Oregon. Up in Medford, we take our time making up our minds."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would worry about what my buddies would call me, if I had a wife who did that!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post

I would worry about what my buddies would call me, if I had a wife who did that!

That makes me the exception here......................some my buddies (Univerisity Professor) have never worn any Rx glasses and have existed only with readers from wherever. These days they even wear readers for distance.

My wife got about 3 pairs of Rx glasses 20 years ago which I made for her, and she never used them and preferred the ones from the drug store or others. There must be around 20 of them lying around the house and in her car. However I did not kick her out, just felt insulted for a while.

Thread Information