Thread: I-Profiler and I-terminal questions.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I-Profiler and I-terminal questions.

Hi Optiboard world,
    Currently I'm doing a little research on Zeiss's I-profiler and I-terminal and I'm looking for some non biased opinions from fellow opticians/techs that use these frequently. Basically, what are your good, bad and ugly stories about these pieces of equipment, or any other comparable devices.

Thanks,
    Josh

Also I'm looking forward to exploring this forum, there is so much information available.

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know if you'll honestly get non Biased opinions here, as if the office has spent the money to use these pieces of equipment, I think the opticians and techs will favor them at least a little. Here's my 2 cents.

Zeiss I-Profiler, great piece of equipment, takes a little bit longer than an AutoRefractor, but results are pretty consistent, adds the convenience of a very good topographer and aberometer all in one machine, and does all those measurements in one shot. If you have the time to spend with patients, it has the capability of creating (along with a great refraction from your OD) a fantastic rx to help those with some forms of high order aberation with their night vision. I'm sure more info will be shared from other's using this equipment as well.

I-Terminal, also in my opinion a great optional piece of equipment. I believe it gives the office the Hi-Tech look and feel to wow patients. You can get the measurements by hand, but this makes the patient "feel" better about spending a little extra on thier perfect lens. It also allows you to demo things like different multifocal ideas, and Anti Reflective treatment. My patients, especially the very myopic patients really enjoy the consultation tab, where you can take pictures of the frames on them and view them side by side.

That's my long winded 2 cents, and I hope it helps you with your decision process.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can not speak on the I-profiler or I-terminal but I can on the Optikam. I use it in my office and have so for the past few years. It has increased our sales and has a tremendous reaction with patients when using the technology when taking measuring for digital lenses. Patients appreciate that we stay ahead of the curve and offer the latest advancements in equipment. I would highly recommend the Optikam to any dispensary.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Dr Shaw, who is here on OB, did some research comparing Cameras with Pupilometers and found that pupilometers were better at taking PDs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Digital Measurements

Taking a seg height without the frame on the customers face makes no sense, as we know. IMHO, the new norm will become taking the mono PD with the frame pre-fit and sitting on the customers face also. That is not done with today's pupilometer but is being done with digital measuring systems. Have worked with a few systems as well as pupilometers and "seeing" the results is believing. Of course some systems are better than others, and the knowledge/skills of the optician will always have an effect on results.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with optician1960 and can speak first hand that the PD's using the optikam are more accurate than when using a pupilometer. For numerous reason they are more accurate but will not be accurate if used by untrained labor. If Dr. Shaw really did any scientific research he would see for him or herself that the results are impressive when using a digital measuring system. I have been an optician for 30 years and can use a pupilometer as good as anyone but will trust the measurements I get from the optikam more than a pupilometer.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    we have and use the i profiler, it has been great, total time to input the patient info, take measurements, on to the next piece is about a minute. so it doesnt take too long.

We have had great reactions to the i scription lenses it produces. so far zero negative feedback from patients, and no remakes from it.

if you need a new AR, and topo, i havent seen a better option yet.

that being said, the staff and doctor need to be trained thuroughly, and well aware of the machines (and iscriptions) uses, benefits and limitations. i have heard of 2 offices in texas that either sold or gave away theirs, but it sounds like it was more out of ignorance than the machine not performing.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have an iTerminal -- bought about three months ago. I'm still getting used to it and find it important to verify every measurement.

Thread Information