Thread: How did YOU grow your business in the beginning?

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused How did YOU grow your business in the beginning?

Hello all,

We have just started our business about a year ago and it has been a pretty rocky first year but that is just how it goes... Let me start by saying what we do; we are a high end boutique style dispensary, we do not take insurance and currently no eye exams (but one of the first on the list when we grow).

My question is for everyone is; what did you guys do to stir up business, promote your business, let people know you were there, get people in the door, etc, etc, etc?

Thanks in advance for all your help, we are just trying to see what others did so we don't overlook anything...

Keep in mind we have very little money to do much... and when I say little I mean none...
    Last edited by eyepeople; 06-16-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Get in touch with local radio personalities that would broadcast to your intended clientel. Radio DJ's lioke to talk about stuff they have, do, wear etc.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    For us, print marketing works the best. If you distribute high quality flyers (on card, not just cheap paper) to homes, you can expect about a 1-2% return... this works best for high end boutiques like yours because one or two sales will be enough to cover the costs. After that you're making pure profit. The more you spend on it, the more customers you will get back, but you want to do at least 5,000 at a time. Just my opinion; it works for us.

We advertise in magazines and newspapers as well, but that is better for brand exposure rather than generating sales per se. We have found radio advertising useless.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can you offer to do a free column for a local paper? You could answer questions about eyes and glasses. It would get your name out there more and not cost you anything.

Can you hang signs in the window? People love sales, hang signs offering different sales. Perhaps one that offers 50% off on a second pair with the purchase of a first pair or 30% off on sunglasses.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Can you offer to do a free column for a local paper? You could answer questions about eyes and glasses. It would get your name out there more and not cost you anything.

Can you hang signs in the window? People love sales, hang signs offering different sales. Perhaps one that offers 50% off on a second pair with the purchase of a first pair or 30% off on sunglasses.
    It's a high end boutique so I imagine that would devalue the brand somewhat.

The column idea is a good one though.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post

The column idea is a good one though.
    I work in a high end place but well to do people still love sales. He says his business is slow and having sales will help.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First question: Who is your client?
    • Optician
    • Frame Maker/Designer
    • Teacher of the art of crafting handmade eyewear.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Hello all,

Thank you everyone for the suggestions, we will definitely look into doing some of the flyers and a column. We just mainly wanted to see what some of you did to hit the ground running...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Some kind of recommend-a-friend system is very useful.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Today at breakfast, I adjusted a persons glasses and handed them a business card. Turns out they are new in town and desparately needed a new Optician!! Don't be affraid to stop and help a stranger out, you never know........
    I came, I saw, I left

Rising Star
    Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert_S View Post
    True !

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

true

for intended clientel
    Quote Originally Posted by kat View Post
    Today at breakfast, I adjusted a persons glasses and handed them a business card. Turns out they are new in town and desparately needed a new Optician!! Don't be affraid to stop and help a stranger out, you never know........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reciprocal window displays, reciprocal couponing, with other well established, equally upscale, and complimentary neighborhood merchants, is also inexpensive.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    #1: Tough Question: Why should I buy glasses from you? Frankly, if you can't answer that question, and don't take this the wrong way, but you need to rethink everything you do.

#2: What was your original marketing plan? You did do a business and marketing plan didn't you?

#3: In that plan, what was your monthly marketing budget?

#4: Its not enough just to be high end, you have to set yourself apart from the competition. Every good marketing plan will include a secret shop of your competition. What are they not doing well? Exploit their weaknesses.

Advertising in Optical can be very successful, but you have to have the above info first or your just throwing money away. You have to advertise to their weakness with your strengths. You have to touch a need. Its not enough just have your name and adress in an advert.

I have a client that does fashion education. She works with the Better BB, Unemployement Dept, Toastmasters, Small Business Admin, and Networking groups and teaches on how to dress to look professional for work or job hunting, she starts with clothes and ends with eyewear. She is doing very well after only one of being open. She now has one Dr. and 2 employees.

I don't mean to be harsh, but it sounds like you have not done anything so far except to open the door and turn on the lights to bring patients in. But what have you done to try to bring customers in?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The members already have some points here.. i think is important to identify your targeted group and focus on that.

Exp: you are doing high end boutique style setting, so you can consider published in some high end magazine rather than local news paper who target the general market.

secondly you can consider do some soft launch on a certain brand that only you are selling at the area. invite some your potential customers or existing client. tagging with some local professional such as doctor will be a good referral sources.

hope it works for you..
    Yeap

Thread Information