Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Waxing Nostalgic For Lens Chic and Boryshyko!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Waxing Nostalgic For Lens Chic and Boryshyko!

I know it's been a long time for either of them, but they gave us some fun times (and not so much carping) on OB. Lens Chic from EOH was totally "out there", but she (he?) had some good insider info. Boryshko "made a refract" and was banned. Oh for the fun times! Do we have to be so "PC" about everything? Just sayin'.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Geeze, what do you want more than one point of view on postings? We must conform!

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey! Chip's still here!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    I know it's been a long time for either of them, but they gave us some fun times (and not so much carping) on OB. Lens Chic from EOH was totally "out there", but she (he?) had some good insider info. Boryshko "made a refract" and was banned. Oh for the fun times! Do we have to be so "PC" about everything? Just sayin'.
    That's exactly why I gave up on this board, the level of "PC" required to remain a member is ridiculous. I was told that it wasn't my board and if I didn't like it I could leave, one too many times so I left. I also notice that many of the controversial posters either get banned or leave.

I don't feel as though it's an open community like when I joined so now I just lurk.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    That's exactly why I gave up on this board, the level of "PC" required to remain a member is ridiculous. I was told that it wasn't my board and if I didn't like it I could leave, one too many times so I left. I also notice that many of the controversial posters either get banned or leave.

I don't feel as though it's an open community like when I joined so now I just lurk.
    I think there is a vast difference between "Politically Correct" and rude and/or inflammatory commentary. I learned many, many years ago that you can't make yourself look better or smarter by trying to make someone else appear bad or dumb. We don't need to SCREAM at each other to make a point, nor do we need to insult each other to "win" an arguement. In these instances, no one wins and OptiBoard loses. I, too, have been disappointed at the evolution or devolution of the quality of discussions here, but probably not for the same reasons as some others.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    I think there is a vast difference between "Politically Correct" and rude and/or inflammatory commentary. I learned many, many years ago that you can't make yourself look better or smarter by trying to make someone else appear bad or dumb. We don't need to SCREAM at each other to make a point, nor do we need to insult each other to "win" an arguement. In these instances, no one wins and OptiBoard loses. I, too, have been disappointed at the evolution or devolution of the quality of discussions here, but probably not for the same reasons as some others.
    +1. Insults, abuse, flames, trolling, and all-around ignorant statements are not just being un-P.C.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    "Boryshko "made a refract" and was banned."

Sooo..... what was the story on this? Gotta' here the scoop.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Boryshko, and Lens Chic are now in the "place of no darkness" being taught to love Big Brother.

Chilli Harry was afraid of being spotted by the thought police and being sent there.

Occupation
    Hmmm..I don't recall any members by those names and they do not exist in the system. And I doubt they were ever banned. In fact, very, very few people have ever been banned on OptiBoard over the 17 years it's been running.

Can someone contact me with the details so I can check into this?

Also please note that I am trying to balance everyone's interests and ideas. But the fact is that some people claim that we allow too much rudeness and arguing while others clai9m that they are tired or 'political correctness. . If someone can provide me with the magic solution to keep EVERYONE happy, then I will gladly take it.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If someone can provide me with the magic solution to keep EVERYONE happy, then I will gladly take it.
    Ain't no such thing. All you can do is strive for a middle ground and hope for the best.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Ain't no such thing. All you can do is strive for a middle ground and hope for the best.
    You would think so, but everyone seems to know how to better run this board than I do. I am truly open to suggestions.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    I found Borysko. The fact is that he was never banned and is not banned now.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lens Chic was never a member here. She had her own blog "Eye Overheard" that she decided to close a while ago. Borysko was last heard from in June 2010.

Occupation
    For the record, this is not true. Borysko was never banned and is not banned now.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Thanks for OptiBoard, Steve!

People have had problems with authority and rules from the get-go.
    Clinton Tower

The intellect to live free is in short supply
    ALT248=°

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps it's time for us to start policing ourselves. When someone steps over the line and decides that rudeness and personal attacks are the way to settle a disagreement or to divert a discussion, report it. If the moderators decide that further action is warranted, they will.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always that Borysko was probably someone's alter ego. Considering most of the posts were "Borat" style, and while we were laughing, usually had some good commentary behind them.

My activity here waxes and wanes depending on a variety of factors. Some personal, some work related, and some of it is the board. While I can recall a few of the threads/conversations that I believe were over-reacted to (and thus I believe where HarryChiling, and a few others get their "gotta be pc" mantra) there are many more that I believe were stopped out of necessity. Some turned quite ugly, people were pinging and pulling up other people's personal info, and it reminded me more of what I would expect on Reddit or some NON professional site. One or two of those threads would be enough to send a moderator or owner into hard-line mode.

I think people forget that while we all work in the same industry, we all have our own thoughts about where the industry is going, the best products to use, and the best way to survive in the changing landscape. I also think that many forget that in order for us to encourage education (be formal or informal) in the industry we can't jump on every person who doesn't have the level of knowledge we think they should have. I hate to think of how I would have been greeted if I came on board more recently instead of over a decade ago when I was trying to figure out what the LC wasn't teaching me..

I have always been very thankful I had this resource. I have learned a lot over the years and I hope to continue to learn from you all. I appreciate Steve's hard work, and his own money he has put into making this a site everyone in the industry can flock to and network. I wish we could all police ourselves, and use the tools given to respond to those who are crossing that line.. but I don't know if it is possible given some of the triggers.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Steve - The magic solution is spelled "VSP"

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Ya lost me with that one Barry.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Barry, do you mean Very Silly Protocol? Very Sticky Pupilometer? Voluminous Source of Payola? I truly have not had any Vodka Soaked Pastries.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Borysko............................

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post

I found Borysko. The fact is that he was never banned and is not banned now.

After a prolonged absence Borysko was active as a funny character again around November 2008. He had overstepped the rules at one point and stopped posting. He has been back a few times but not in the earlier role.

Quote Originally Posted by Borysko

" 5. Patient say it feel like eyes being pulled out to sides. Sergei appear with pliers, he offer to show what eyes being pulled feel like. Patient say problem has gone away.

Ptitsa krovny! My computer time is up. They only give Borysko one hour, and for much of hour I look on naughty pictures of Minsk Goat-Milking Festival. Very nice.

I will make a try to help on you again as soon as impossible. Please again apologize to my poor english. Thank you please."

I was having fun at the time and even copied 2 of his post's to my website. You can refresh your memory or see his style at: -----------------------------> http://optochemicals.com/funny_optiboard.htm
    Last edited by Chris Ryser; 06-12-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Lens Chic from EOH was totally "out there",......................................

Lens Chic was not on OptiBoard, had her own site but a lot of the members also posted there.

Interview With Lens Chic of Eye Overheard

December 3, 2009 by Cathy (also an OptiBoard member) --------------------------> http://theopticalvisionsite.com/busi...eye-overheard/

Eye Overheard Eulogy ------------------> http://theopticalvisionsite.com/eye-...=Yahoo%21+Mail

Eye Overheard Last Post -------------------> http://optochemicals.com/eyeoverheard_lastpost.htm

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I sent her a note about this thread, hopefully........

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually Steve and company runs a pretty good board. I'm sure we would all do things diffently if we were in charge. But then I haven't met a man that saw eye to eye with me on everything. Often what is humours to one is offensive to another, and when the other is in charge we tend to take offense.
    I have wondered why we don't have a forum for politics so we could all express our views and skip the forum if we so desired. But then I realized how many problems this would cause. We already have more posting on games of one type or another than we do optical subjects.

Chip

"If there is hope, it lies in the Proles.: Emanuel Goldstein.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    If an argument starts, we could start posting funny pictures of cats...

Thread Information