Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doing work for FREE ??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mdeimler View Post
    The kind that works for a business, based on production and the creation of goods or services for profit or income by individuals or corporations.

New service link?????? (hover over word profit or income in this post #19).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by uncut View Post
    new service link?????? (hover over word profit or income in this post #19).
    do what?!?!
    I can't read this. Why does attempting to do so make my eyes hurt? Is it just me? Translator please.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyechick1969 View Post
    do what?!?!
    I can't read this. Why does attempting to do so make my eyes hurt? Is it just me? Translator please.
    Sorry, eyechick1969, about that.....I was referring to the "skimlink-like" hilite when you hover your cursor over the words.................just like the word groupon in Barry's post. I know....off topic!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Massachusetts optometry board rules just say Pupillary distance, nothing more specific

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Does it state how it is written?
    Must it be mono or bino?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    Massachusetts optometry board rules just say Pupillary distance, nothing more specific
    2 5/8 inches?? I've done that for people who want to buy on-line

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    That is a hoot, way to go, wish I thought of that

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ejmaxie View Post

That is a hoot, way to go, wish I thought of that

All of it is hoot..........................

For all who want to purchase on line you have to charge whatever think you are worth for your services, because they might be coming back for a free adjustment. If you are good you charge more and if you don't know what you are doing give it for cheap or free.

The large corporations are banking on the future of on line glasses and supply and support them all the way.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What do you think of defining a "limited dispensing service" for a fee. It includes dotting the centers, aligning lenses properly for best vision, adjusting the frame for comfort, verifying the prescription against ANSI standards, and measuring a corrected visual acuity.

Yes, give away one free frame adjustment, if patient agrees you are not responsible for any breakage or warranty. And include information about the Limited Dispensing service. This way you avoid the black hole of time providing free care for dissatisfied online shoppers. You have a service they need. Their online purchase of lens and frame product did not include services, and you can provide services they need, for a fee.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by doctorjmjb View Post
    +1 But I am thinking of instituting a fee for taking a PD when the patient is not purchasing eyewear. How many people charge, and how much?
    In some states the PD is part of the Rx. By law, you HAVE to give it to them. Now, does it have to be a mono PD? No. Can it be from your autoreactor? Sure. The way I see it, the patient is going to walk. Don't fight them for the PD. Take the 10 seconds to give it to them or next time you might not even get the exam....
    Big V - ABOC-AC

"ABO - Learn it, get it, keep it, apply it!"

Occupation
    Optometrist
    +1 But I am thinking of instituting a fee for taking a PD when the patient is not purchasing eyewear. How many people charge, and how much?
    I am of the opinion it is not a good idea to charge for a PD. Having said that, when the patient asks for a PD we have an opportunity to inform about top tier services. The best vision is possible with measures of PD, but also OC, pantoscoptic tilt, vertex distance and wrap. Especially with higher Rxs, there is real value in a great pre-adjustment.

Even if the patient does not buy from you, make sure the patient knows you also offer a "Limited Dispensing Service" for a fee. Online eye wear products seldom include services patients need. You can dot centers, align lenses, verify prescription accuracy, adjust the frame for comfort, and test corrected acuity - for a fee. You are there to help with services patients need when they elect to buy products without professional services.

Realize a patient can get a copy of their record to get the PD, and you are likely to lose a lifetime of routine care if it comes to that.

Keep profitability in your business. Provide services patients need when they elect to buy online - Perhaps more important - make sure patients know about your services, before they need them. The services have value if patients understand the benefits.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    All of it is hoot..........................

For all who want to purchase on line you have to charge whatever think you are worth for your services, because they might be coming back for a free adjustment. If you are good you charge more and if you don't know what you are doing give it for cheap or free.

The large corporations are banking on the future of on line glasses and supply and support them all the way.
    No fear here, chris. Just have to weather the transition. I've excelled becuase what I do is superior to any of the other B&M offerings, no matter what the price paid. If the growth of online creates alot of attrition in B&M, do you really think that, given the wages they'll offer, that any of the highly-skilled will throw in the towel and say "Aw shucks...I guess I'll have to take far less money, but I'll still do my best"?

Really.

I think what online will do at best is facilitate a micro-payment, a la carte structure for services rendered. And many online buyers won't mind paying, cause they still won't add up the total they're spending over time any more than buyers of cell, cable, gym and Starbucks do on a daily/monthly basis now.

B

Occupation

Blue Jumper online will do at best is facilitate a micro-payment.............................

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post

If the growth of online creates alot of attrition in B&M, do you really think that, given the wages they'll offer, that any of the highly-skilled will throw in the towel and say "Aw shucks...I guess I'll have to take far less money, but I'll still do my best"?

Really.

I think what online will do at best is facilitate a micro-payment, a la carte structure for services rendered. And many online buyers won't mind paying, cause they still won't add up the total they're spending over time any more than buyers of cell, cable, gym and Starbucks do on a daily/monthly basis now.

Barry.............I am not worried at all for people like you and our friend Craig who operate on the upper scale of the profession.

The regular B&M store in a more depressed area must for sure feel the pinch at some point by now or in the near future. Retailers and suppliers do depend on each other in many ways. I know you are right with the micro-payment for services which will let the optician at least to participate in some way.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our facility charges a $99 fee and includes a free pair of glasses, mind you our value package single vision is also $99 .. but ya know :) i personally just don't feel comfortable giving it out, because you know the second theres an issue with an online pair theyre bringing it to me and blaming me for it (this has happened multiple times) One lady a month or so ago went from a physio enhanced, Avance and transitions to whatever Zenni's progressive is w/out AR and obviously it was our fault she couldnt see ;)
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We usually dont charge for repairs, adj,nosepads (if it's w/in an yr). Usually i try not to charge the elderly/ people that make a big deal abt paying for it! We do've some spare parts that we use regularly. So far, the only thing that annoys me is people that come in for PD measurement (and ofcourse it's for free, eventhough i think they should be charged atleast $5 for that). Overall, pt's satisfaction make me appreciate my profession more..

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mjacob View Post
    So far, the only thing that annoys me is people that come in for PD measurement (and ofcourse it's for free, eventhough i think they should be charged atleast $5 for that). Overall, pt's satisfaction make me appreciate my profession more..
    So Mary you are giving away PD measurements?
    Why?

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    yes.. we dont charge for PD measurements.

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    never charged those small things. But progressive glasses is not included.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by mjacob View Post

So far, the only thing that annoys me is people that come in for PD measurement (and ofcourse it's for free, eventhough i think they should be charged atleast $5 for that). Overall, pt's satisfaction make me appreciate my profession more..
    People coming for PD only plan to order their glasses over the internet. You are giving away a service you can provide without making a sale of you own products.

Your service is also included in you selling prices and you call it "free". In this case you will be making no sale, therefore you should charge anything you think is worth your service. You can also offer that they come for adjustments and services for a charge, at least you will make something on them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by eyechick1969 View Post
    I suggest the 20/20/20 rule. 20 for pd, 20 for adjustment, 20 for us to do a final inspection to see if they were made correct. The amount is up to you tho. maybe 25/25/25 or 10/10/10.

Just curious why you charge for this service but give Adjustments, nosepads, occasional re-edges for free????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yesterday a couple come in the shop for eye exams and glasses. They spent just shy of $2k, I'd never met them before. As they were leaving she said to me that the reason they came to us is that a couple of months earlier I repaired a badly twisted up IC BERLIN she'd been wearing at no charge. I then remembered the repair and it was a tough one. I grew up in this trade and pop always did the adjustments, small repairs etc for free, as did many of you. Now and then it comes around. FWIW.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Helping people out when they need it feels great.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Same answer I gave on PD's. There is little or no "work" or liability involved in taking or giving away a PD. Replacing screws and nose pads or even adjusting a frame doesn't compare with the work or liability of doing a brake job, or front end work on a car. What's the great effort involved? \

A mechanic might not charge for topping off a fluid, or cleaning a windshield or even adjusting a wiper blade, all of which are more "work" than taking a PD. But if he fixes your brakes he's gonna get dirty, he's gonna be real liable if they don't work, and he's gonna have to get under the car. We don't have to do any of this to replace a screw or nosepad or take a PD.

Chip
    Chip

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    . We don't have to do any of this to replace a screw or nosepad or take a PD.

Chip
    Chip
    What's the point? I can make a pair of glasses and I don't have to do any of that either. Do you give those away to?

How about the person the tech that takes your pulse at the doctor's office? Little/no liability...little/no effort...no special equipment. Even they get paid.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    Just curious why you charge for this service but give Adjustments, nosepads, occasional re-edges for free????
    I feel like I mentioned this, but let me try to re-phrase it.
    I don't charge Loyal clients, Potential future clients or a homeless person for adjustments or nose-pads or occasional re-edges.
    Everyone else I charge $4 for pads (rare), almost never for adj.
    Occasional re-edges tend to be $25 for my time because & that's what my lab charges for the same, but if I do it for free it's back to a loyal client or potential client & I did the re-edge myself. (And they are buying a new frame at that time anyway).

20/20/20 rule is what I "intend" on doing If I start getting lot's of onliners. Luckily I've only had one to date & he voluntarily donated to my volunteer work before I had a chance to say well ummm, that'll be.....But why wouldn't I charge someone for my work? Especially if they are not likely to be a potential client!

I'm confused as to why any of my brethren would think I should work for free if not for charity or to possibly gain a potential client or to thank them for their loyality.

I feel sorry for you guys/gals who are getting hit for onliners wanting free stuff!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by ReneeJacobs View Post

Yes, give away one free frame adjustment, if patient agrees you are not responsible for any breakage or warranty. And include information about the Limited Dispensing service. This way you avoid the black hole of time providing free care for dissatisfied online shoppers. You have a service they need. Their online purchase of lens and frame product did not include services, and you can provide services they need, for a fee.
    I wouldnt count on selling many of these service packs...Unless they perceive a problem with their vision....And unless you charge a high enough fee,you wont get paid enough ,for the time involved in doing the trouble shooting.

The cheapskates that buy online glasses would gladly take you up on your free frame adjustment, since that is the service they would need...

Thread Information