Thread: Prism only for the reading portion of a progressive

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Prism only for the reading portion of a progressive

2BI O.U

I assume this means that patient's eyes dont properly converge.

Anyone feel differently?

This is my first time seeing any prism not related to entire Rx.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kodak is labeling it as "Anti-fatigue Technology" and it is supposed to be good for people who are using near/intermediate for several hours a day. I understand it is a 1 base in prism on the add area only. Interested in what everyone thinks about this idea also....

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't know anything about what Kodak is up to. But I have at least one referring doctor that sees a lot of adult strabismus and this is not un common. It's why we use Franklin bifocals. They can be made easily and relatively cheap and you don't have to wait so long for them to get to you from a specialty lab that the prescription has already changed when they get to you.

Can't immagine why anyone would want to do this in a progessive though. These people have enough trouble getting things into focus already without inducing the inherent distortion of a progressive.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I agree with Chip. If you really need a progressive it can be done that way too. Kcount reported about doing a pair that way. One diopter is an anti-fatique lens, strabimus usually requires 2 or more diopters.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a doc that seems to do this to me about once a quarter, but since most of the pts we see have B.O. in the distance rx, we just use a fresnel prism on the reading portion to get our desired B.I. , typically my strabimus pts have lined bifocals, but I have done a couple that went with a progressive.

But oh yeah everytime I see B.I. prism on the reading only its been for a convergence I agree ;)

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    X-Cel makes prism segs...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I have fitted impossible progressives for over 15 years, in powers and RX's where I was told it would never work, with a very high success rate.

In all the Kodak idea has potential especially for patients with convergence issues for a variety reasons, but esp post cataract surgery near diplopia.

For those of you who don't know, the Kodak Progressives have the option to add Base in prism in the reading only, they call it Anti-fatigue, but we have used to treat near only diplopia successfully with any issues.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Zeiss allows custom insets in their ff lenses. If the power is right you may be able to order it as an inset value. Post specifics and im sure someone here will calc and qualify it for you.
    http://www.opticians.cc

Creator of the industries 1st HTML5 Browser based tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Mac tracer software.
    Creator of the industries 1st Linux tracer software.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    X-Cel makes prism segs...
    They did at one time or have they started again?? Are these glass or plastic??

Prism segs can be made in plastic by inlaying a segment that has been surfaced to include the prism. Another way is to surface a D-35 or 45 with the prism and use it as the read portion of a Franklin style bifocal, you can also do this with a progressive. Some will tell you to decenter a D-35 or 45, this sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I personally wear an exec style made from two single vision lenses when I work.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 05-29-2012 at 08:16 PM. Reason: Added, Deleted, Multiplied

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I have fitted impossible progressives for over 15 years, in powers and RX's where I was told it would never work, with a very high success rate.

In all the Kodak idea has potential especially for patients with convergence issues for a variety reasons, but esp post cataract surgery near diplopia.

For those of you who don't know, the Kodak Progressives have the option to add Base in prism in the reading only, they call it Anti-fatigue, but we have used to treat near only diplopia successfully with any issues.
    How much prism is possible with the Kodak?? I have heard the max is 1 diopter.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    They did at one time or have they started again?? Are these glass or plastic??

Prism segs can be made in plastic by inlaying a segment that has been surfaced to include the prism. Another way is to surface a D-35 or 45 with the prism and use it as the read portion of a Franklin style bifocal, you can also do this with a progressive. Some will tell you to decenter a D-35 or 45, this sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. I personally wear an exec style made from two single vision lenses when I work.
    Glass.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think that will create prism , just the corridor in the wrong place. Zeiss's variable inset is to be used when you measure a near pd....

Thread Information