Thread: seniordoc.org

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

seniordoc.org

There is an interesting article titled "The Challenge Posed by Refracting Opticians" at www.seniordoc.org. Any comments?

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wow.

Dr. Farkas is very cool.

This is the first I have seen in writing. Many OD's have told me that they don't see the big deal, but I have not seen a noted speaker/author write in our favor.

Very interesting.

Thanks for the link, Judy!

Laurie

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Paaul Farkas, OD

FYI
    Dr. Farkas is a noted expert in contact lenses and a good friend. He is well connceted in Optometry and retired from what many consider to be one of the best contact lens practices in the country in NYC. I have known him for many years and he is a fair minded individual. Most ODs I meet are more supportive than you think. But please note- he mentions education. It is the key to our future.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dr. Farkas' emphasis on education was the main reason I found this so interesting. It really is the key to our future as a profession. Perhaps he shoud be invited to speak at the next OAA convention...

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I agree.

Warren, You know everybody!

: )

I agree that the education part is key. Our AS program includes 3 semesters of CL and Refractometry. Requiring an AS degree to become an optician should be our next move.

I have heard that optometry enrollment is down now as well. One of my next goals is to hook up with some friendly OD educators to see if we could work out a matriculation agreement where our grads would get some credit for their ophthalmic course work.

Laurie
    Last edited by Laurie; 07-02-2002 at 09:06 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Southern College of Optometry

Hi Laurie,
    Paul and I worked together in National Practice Brokerages as consultants to the company. He is a super guy and may be a great resource for us. I too would like to see him speak at OAA or anywhere else. He and I shared the refraction discussion many times and he is open minded and fair. But keep in mind this- he will speak his mind. Somebody who isn't realistic about where we are and where we need to go will not like the outcome.
    More to the subject, I would think that Southern would be a good source or possibly Nova. Both are private and student-driven institutions. It would be worth a shot and possibly even develop that elusive bachelor's degree we have been looking for. I will give them a call and see if they are interested.

Warren

Thread Information