Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ABO advanced

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    It's all multiple guess.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't see anywhere in the review material anything about the crossed cylinder formula. Are you sure it's on the test?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It is not referenced in the Advanced Opticians Tutorial but is referenced in the Optical Formulas Tutorial. It may not be on the test, I wish I knew for sure.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by agr8194 View Post
    I don't see anywhere in the review material anything about the crossed cylinder formula. Are you sure it's on the test?
    It wasn't on mine.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good to know I will move it down in priority and study other areas more. Does anyone know if the formulas listed in the back of the Advanced Opticians Tutorial are the same as the ones that will be listed in the back of the exam? It is the recommended review material listed on the ABO site to register for the exam. If so there are considerably less than are listed in the Optical Fomula Review and they are substantially easier.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Need help...I suspect the answer is wrong on the review quiz so let me ask you what answer you get for this problem.

Object placed 15cm to left of thin -2.50 lens. The image will form a. 3cm to left of lens b. 11cm to left of lens c. 24cm to right of lens d. 24cm to left of lens

I come up with d. but the answer key says it's b.

I used the 1/q = 1/f - 1/p (q for image and p for object distances)

Occupation
    An object 15 cm to the left of the lens has -6.66 diopters of vergence. Add that to the-2.50 diopters of vergence in the lens. The object will appear to have -9.16 diopters of vergence, which results in the virtual image being 11 mm to the left of the lens.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    O.K. so with the confidence of knowing you were right I applied the formula again and figured out that I had not made the focal length (-) negative nor had I converted it to cm to match the object distance in meters. Now the formula works 1/-2.50 = -0.4 (100) = -40 so the formula becomes 1/-40 - 1/15 = -0.09166 so 1/q = 1/-0.09166 = -10.909 rounded to -11.00. I can only hope that someday I will understand on the level that you do. Unfortunately learning on my own with a book is not teaching me how to see and understand; just to apply formula's. I think I will take courses after I finish this test because it is my goal to truly understand.

You helped me connect the formula to what is actually happening ...thank you.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You state very succinctly the problem with Opticianry education and/or training. There virtually is none. Folks like you are to be congratulated for learning on you rown, because you often have little help. Until we are required to have some form of mandatory education we will never improve. I applaud your efforts and wish you the very best in your career. You will do fine on this test.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The breadth of the ABO Advanced exam makes overall preparation difficult at best. The topics lack the depth of the old Masters test and, in my opinion, can best be summed up as an exercise in optical trivia.

We are in the process of organizing the next advanced review course for Tennessee opticians and the wide-ranging content is one of the major problems that we have fought to overcome. Fortunately the opticians preparing for the exam are very motivated and willing to commit the time required.

Good luck to all who are taking the Advanced.

Roy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those who live in Tennessee should seek our Dr. Ferguson and take this review course. He takes the time to prepare you, and he had a 100% pass rate in his first class. THe national organizations run review courses at meetings from time to time, and while these 1-day events are helpful, but pass rates are good indicators of success. The overall pass rate on this exam is very low, so if you are motivated to pass, and live in the area........take the time. You will be glad you did. And those who pass......take the time to write the Master's paper. You will be glad you completed the process. Good luck to you all.

I will also add to those in NC. If you want to do the same thing, I will hold a class here to help you. I will not come to your living room to do it, but I am in Fayetteville, and will offer to hold a similar class if you are motivated to pass this advanced exam.

Good luck to you on your quest.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I understand the problem is that so few sit for the Advanced certification exam that it doesn't warrant a formal review course. I think that there are many like myself who think they are very knowledgeable and decide to take the leap. Then we find that quantifying the physical effects of light through a lens is very broad and without someone to help you understand what each part of the formula is measuring it doesn't resonate as well. For example I had read about vergence several times and it seemed simple enough but I did not make the connection that vegence is the inverse of 1/d until you explained the above problem.

Also I have known people who are extremely bright, have the formal education and who took the review course but did not pass the advanced certification exam. I think Roy is right it is hard to prepare because it is too broad and you have to have a basic understanding that covers so much material. This is not simple stuff, physics, geometric optics, photobiology, anatomy, trigonometry....

Once this is over and I have some spare time again I will talk to the head of our very tiny school of Opticianry about putting together a remote course for the advanced that can be done online. With audio/video to explain and show examples; combined with wrtten instructions etc. The review questions and excersises need to have instant answers and scoring available. The students need access to instructors to field questions. If there is already such a course online let me know but I could not find one. Thank you for your vote of confidence, I hope you are right and that I pass. I already have my topic picked for the Masters thesis.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Roy,

Unfortunately I got the book that you coauthored Optical Formula Tutorial late in the game but I have learned alot from it. I had been trying to study from the Advanced Opticians Tutorial and it is not nearly as comprehensive and it is frustrating to study from a guide that does not have and index. I wish I could have taken your review course. 100% pass rate...WOW! Do you find that alot of people fail because they don't give sufficient time to learn the peripheral topics like HIPAA, Financial Statements and Business Management? This seems to be the biggest complaint from comments on this site.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I belive that the OAA still offers the several day ABO-Advanced Review Course.

Check the course schedule. It looks like a two day review.

http://www.abo-ncle.org/Conference/S...9-751fdad0b5eb

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a great deal of admiration for the self-taught opticians that challenge and pass the advanced exam. Opticianry is the only health related field that still, with the exception of the very few AAS programs, relies on autodidactic learning to prepare those who enter. While opticianry claims expertise in both eyeglasses and contact lenses, there is simply no quantitative measure that supports the assertions. Perhaps passing the advanced exam is a small step in that direction since I see no movement towards minimum education standards.

Roy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Fezz unfortunately I am only able to be there one day early since I work. I don't think that one day of review is going to get me any closer than I will get on my own. The saturday before is nothing but reviewing memory stuff from flashcards for me.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optin View Post
    Hi Roy,

Unfortunately I got the book that you coauthored Optical Formula Tutorial late in the game but I have learned alot from it. I had been trying to study from the Advanced Opticians Tutorial and it is not nearly as comprehensive and it is frustrating to study from a guide that does not have and index. I wish I could have taken your review course. 100% pass rate...WOW! Do you find that alot of people fail because they don't give sufficient time to learn the peripheral topics like HIPAA, Financial Statements and Business Management? This seems to be the biggest complaint from comments on this site.
    The Management/Business related questions are a problem since many are out of date or address obscure items that require the recall of minutia. That’s one of the reasons I’ve labeled the exam as optical trivia.

Don’t panic about all the formulas. On my exam I used the calculator one time to double check an answer. Of course your test experience could be different.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy R. Ferguson View Post
    I have a great deal of admiration for the self-taught opticians that challenge and pass the advanced exam. Opticianry is the only health related field that still, with the exception of the very few AAS programs, relies on autodidactic learning to prepare those who enter. While opticianry claims expertise in both eyeglasses and contact lenses, there is simply no quantitative measure that supports the assertions. Perhaps passing the advanced exam is a small step in that direction since I see no movement towards minimum education standards.

Roy
    Roy, I just self studied and passed the ABO-AC exam a few days ago in Las Vegas on my first attempt. I wanted to revive this thread because I want to start a national education program and I need some support. Physics has always been of great interest to me and optics in general. If anyone has any suggestions I am ready to listen and am highly motivated. I spoke with the president of the NAO, Gaye Wilson, and am encouraged that there is a need out there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congrats on passing the advanced test! What ideas do you have for a national education program?
    I hope you go on to achieve your masters as well :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I think it's ridiculous that all states are not required to be licensed. Secondly I would like to create a national program that people can access online to achieve an associates in Opticianry. if there is already an option for this I would like to know. I look forward to creating continuing education material to advance all opticians and I hope to be a speaker in the very near future. I want to thank everyone on this site for all the information about the advanced exam, it helped me ready myself especially Daryls' sample test. Thank you for the encouragement carrie, I am currently writing my paper for the masters.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nice Mikaela! There are online programs that can be accessed from anywhere. J. Sargeant Reynolds offers their program entirely online. I know Hillsborough Community College in Tampa has one. You do have to travel to Tampa for finals each semester however. Good luck with the masters paper. Are you familiar with the Society to Advance Opticianry? We are an organization that is working to achieve some of the same goals.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikaela
    it helped me ready myself especially Daryls' sample test
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes
    Also, see this thread started by Darryl Meister
    I should probably clarify that the sample test that I provided in the Take a Master Exam thread was actually for the original Mster Exam, not the new ABO-AC exam that replaced it. The new ABO-AC exam places much less emphasis on optical theory. It is my understanding that the questions involving mathematics are also less difficult.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I would like to throw in a thought on this old thread. One of my hobbies/profession is the study of light physics and theoretical "lenses". If anyone has ever looked for "Master Optician" career openings you will see a huge difference in what the optics/engineering field considers an optician and what now is probably more a retail field considers an optician. An ABO master optician is in no way prepared to fill the requirements of these career positions. These master opticians are people that actually design ophthalmic lenses, advanced telescope components, medical imaging etc... I for one would love an accredited path or similar practical certifications to help people that strive to grow with the optician field and become a true master optician. Actually designing lenses would be an amazing experience! The only way currently to be considered a master optician in the optics/engineering field is to get a BS/MS/PhD in optics/physics. Or you can do what I am doing and self teaching and writing articles to try and prove some level of competency. How about the NAO helps bridge the gap between these two types of opticians.

Master OptiBoarder Darryl Meister's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I am not aware of the use of the designation "Master Optician" outside of 1) ophthalmic dispensing and 2) precision optical fabrication. As far as I know, a "Master Optician" in optical fabrication is not a credentialed position or designation of education level but is, instead, a job title (and probably not a particularly common one nowadays).

And these fabrication positions typically do not rely on a graduate education; usually, they require a great deal of fabrication experience in making lenses and mirrors. An "optical engineer," on the other hand, will typically have a graduate or undergraduate degree, often in optics from a place like the University of Rochester or the University of Arizona.

At least this is the case in the US. In certain European countries, Germany in particular, many "opticians" are educated as optical engineers at their technical schools.

Best regards,
    Darryl
    Darryl J. Meister, ABOM

Thread Information