Page 1 of 13 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Is "education" really the answer employers are looking for?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is "education" really the answer employers are looking for?

One writer's take.

Flame on!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My boyfriend's son just left school with a masters and a thesis away from a PHD in mathmatics. He can't find a job. "Entry level" positions now require experience...go figure.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I heard a local radio personality say he decided to go to college so he wouldn't have to work for a living any more. Perhaps this is the problem, too many people think they should be paid for having gotten an education as opposed to what they can do with it after they have it.
    No reason the number of letters after your name should exempt one from productivity.

Chip

There is the old joke about the employer who was interviewing a young person for a job. After the interview the employer said: "OK kid you got the job."
    The applicant said: "What would you like for me to do first?"
    The employer replied: "Go sweep out the back room."
    The applicant replied: "But I'm a college graduate!"
    The employer said: "OK I'll show you how."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm pretty tired of hearing how expensive school is and I can't get a job out of college. Heres a few suggestions:

1. Ditch the car
    2. Live in the dorms
    3. eat the school meals
    4. don't take spring break
    5. finish in four years like us old fogeys used to do

And the number one thing. Get a degree that people actually want to hire for !!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    ...And the number one thing. Get a degree that people actually want to hire for !!
    So not a degree in opticianry then? ;)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    My boyfriend's son just left school with a masters and a thesis away from a PHD in mathmatics. He can't find a job. "Entry level" positions now require experience...go figure.
    My cousin is in the same boat, just a thesis away from her PhD in Psychology. She was hired by some idiot to manage the night shift of a nursing home. She lasted three days before the staff and patients both were eating her alive. She's now making crafts and quilts to sell on Etsy and for some unknown reason, not working on her thesis and cannot get a job that "she" feels "befits" her level of education. Personally, I think it's a shame for someone to be so educated and not use that education, but I have very little patience for her not taking jobs that she doesn't think are good enough. Which may be exactly why education may not matter in today's market as much as experience. It's what you can do with what you know, not just what you know.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi AustinEyewear,
    I agree.

Well Uilleann,
    How well do you communicate with your customers that might have a PHD to a high school education? This takes education and a degree would help your practice.
    Donald D Price

Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have a Doctor of Nursing degree, I make lenses. Everyone tells me I'm over qualified for any of the nursing positions that I've applied for.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    So not a degree in opticianry then? ;)
    It's not the degree, it's what you do with it. My BA got me nothing. Two years of optician school got me a job before I even took my boards. Mind you, this is a licensed state. Coulda had something to do with it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My son at one point wanted to follow me in this business, and I discouraged him, for good reason. We in fact have no set standards for what most of us do, some better than others, but just the same, but no real path. My son graduates this Friday with a degree in accounting, an adult student who I am very proud of, and has enrolled in the masters, which I understand is mandatory to the CPA that he is after. I am so proud, as I don't think his future would be as bright as ours is as opticians. We kill ourselves daily.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My son-in-law completed his PhD in Chemistry 4 years ago, had multiple offers upon graduation. My daughter completed her law degree 5 years ago, multiple offers there as well. He's been promoted twice, she's recently taken a new position closer to home. Go figure.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Before you can answer above question properly..................................

Question: Is "education" really the answer employers are looking for?

Before you can answer above question properly it should be defined and refined to " what education" and what "employers" actually means.

If not, you get answers as the ones above, totally unrelated to the optical professions.

I feel that the author of this thread is trying to start another hornets nest to explode into a never ending discussion on education as we have seen on other recent threads on this board.

We are all aware that certain levels of education are a must in every field of work on this planet. The better it is in your own field the better you will be eventually be positioned. That is a fact that has been known forever. Look at the system in Europe.

However in a capitalistic area it does not always apply, as state regulators tend to lean towards capitalistic forces against educated ones when it comes to regulating.
    The North American Continent, mainly the USA and also Canada to a certain point always had to deal with the huge political influence by the large corporations like AO and B&L in the old days, and also Imperial Optical in Canada, and lately with their newer versions of the same kind European and Asian based monster corporations.

These corporations have for the last few years started to educate the consumer directly by their product advertising, while the ones that operate direct retail ventures across the world don't give a hoot about education.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In October of 2010 they launched the product as an app. The business never made any money and it still don't make no money. The 13 owners sold her out to Facebook a few days ago fer $ 1 billion dollars . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instagram

Anybody that can take nothing and turn it into a company that makes nothing but sell it fer a cool billion in less time than some real estate agents can sell yer house, well in my book "That's the value of education"
    Last edited by idispense; 05-01-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post

Anybody that can take nothing and turn it into a company that makes nothing but sell it fer a cool billion in less time than some real estate agents can sell yer house, well in my book "That's the value of education"
    Marchon??

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whether we are talking about opticianry or any other career choice, the problem isn't the education, and it isn't those that hire. It's the new entitlement attitude that the generations x, y, z and the like have. None of our parents where too proud to start at the bottom and work their way up. It was assumed that having a college degree opened the door to a job, it didn't make you the smartest or highest paid the first day on the job.

My father's take on a college degree is this: Having a degree does nothing except tell an employer that you are teachable, possibly trainable.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    Whether we are talking about opticianry or any other career choice, the problem isn't the education, and it isn't those that hire. It's the new entitlement attitude that the generations x, y, z and the like have. None of our parents where too proud to start at the bottom and work their way up. It was assumed that having a college degree opened the door to a job, it didn't make you the smartest or highest paid the first day on the job.

My father's take on a college degree is this: Having a degree does nothing except tell an employer that you are teachable, possibly trainable.
    I agree with statement, wholeheartedly. It sends a message to the prospective employer, but also must be evident in the applicant/graduate.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    I'm pretty tired of hearing how expensive school is and I can't get a job out of college. Heres a few suggestions:

1. Ditch the car
    2. Live in the dorms
    3. eat the school meals
    4. don't take spring break
    5. finish in four years like us old fogeys used to do

And the number one thing. Get a degree that people actually want to hire for !!
    So get the degree. But if you still cant do the damn work I don't want you working for me.
    Skip the degree and go hands on learn the trade and you have a job with me.
    Now go hands on learn the job, be awsome at it, get the degree and I will then be glad to take you in as a vested associate in the business that I have worked hard to establish.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Last edited by idispense; 07-14-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow this one confuses me. "Doctor of Nursing degree" Im not saying there is no such thing if anybody should know Jacqui should. I am the first to admit that I dont.

So are you a Dr or a Nurse?
    Do we address you as Dr Jacqui or Nurse Jacqui?
    After all these years in optical, (I see your join date to Optiboard is 2003) with a degree of higher education then I assume you comfort zone is in Optical Wholesale Lab not haveing to deal with patients or the public in general?

My suggestion to being told you are over qualified is not to tell them so much. Hold back information so you can get your foot in the door, show them you can do the job and more and then start to slowly devluge your education.

Please do not think that I am doubting or making fun of you because I am not. I just have never heard of your title. Now I have to go looking and educate myself.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGREEN View Post
    So get the degree. But if you still cant do the damn work I don't want you working for me.
    Skip the degree and go hands on learn the trade and you have a job with me.
    Now go hands on learn the job, be awsome at it, get the degree and I will then be glad to take you in as a vested associate in the business that I have worked hard to establish.
    Why do you assume opticians with a degree won't be able to do the work? We can all agree that a percentage of people who graduate from any field will in fact be lousy at their chosen degree field, but I don't get the negativety towards opticians with a degree. I've never heard of a medical practice who brands a new doctor as no good and instead welcomes with open arms an apprentice doctor.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow this one confuses me. "Doctor of Nursing degree" Im not saying there is no such thing if anybody should know Jacqui should. I am the first to admit that I dont.

After all these years in optical, (I see your join date to Optiboard is 2003) with a degree of higher education then I assume you comfort zone is in Optical Wholesale Lab not haveing to deal with patients or the public in general?

My suggestion to being told you are over qualified is not to tell them so much. Hold back information so you can get your foot in the door, show them you can do the job and more and then start to slowly devluge your education.

Please do not think that I am doubting or making fun of you because I am not. I just have never heard of your title. Now I have to go looking and educate myself.
    The degree, Doctor of Nursing Science, or Nursing Practice is very well known. I am surprised you are unaware, since you are so obviously so well versed in the field of education! It is primarily for Nurse Educators, and is a prime example of a profession moving itself forward, vesus those in Opticianry who continue to hold the field back, like those who do not support education.
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 05-01-2012 at 09:15 PM.

Occupation

Doctor is an academic degree, it has nothing to do with your job title. Most nursing instructors and Nurse Practitioners have a Doctor of Nursing or a Phd. in Nursing (both are the same).

Either, although Doctor sounds nicer In emergencies I answer to almost anything.

I do work as an on-call Midwife at a local hospital, so my foot is in the door. After 43 years in the optical business, I find that I like making things the most. I'll never give up my patients whether at the free clinics or during disasters or at the hospital.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    The degree, Doctor of Nursing Science, or Nursing Practice is very well known. I am surprised you are unaware, since you are so obviuosly so well versed in the field of education! It is primarily for Nurse Educators, and is a prime example of a profession moving itself forward, vesus those in Opticianry who continue to hold the field back, like those who do not support education.
    Thank you

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Unless you are "Dr. J", who cares. I'm all for education, but too many people in our profession have degenerated into a game of "My CV is bigger than your CV".
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Unless you are "Dr. J", who cares. I'm all for education, but too many people in our profession have degenerated into a game of "My CV is bigger than your CV".
    That is not at all what I am saying. I am saying that the basic Optician in this country can do little more than take a PD and measure a seg height. We must improve that situation and they way to accomplish that goal is to require SOME KIND of training and education that is at least similar around the country. We can be so much more, and if those who entered the field with little to no effort do not like that, let them move to another easy job. We have to get better to remain relevant........if we still are relevant in this industry. I will be glad to fuurther explain my position, and you are welcome to come see me and we'll chat. You are close by, and I would welcome the opportunity. A big CV is not the problem. It is the obvious jealousy from those who do not have one at all (and do not know what it is) that holds us back. Come see me soon!

Thread Information