Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ont. optician stripped of licence there sets up shop in Chilliwack

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All I asked you is if a 1 week strike by OD's and opticians was realistic? I didn't ask about Robo voting irregularities.
    Do you believe a strike is realistic?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Let's see what happens if opticians and optometrists take a National Appreciate Your ECP Holiday Week :

Intenet vendors have no Rx's and no PD's to assist them for a week ...their sales drop off.. Good

Frame vendors who own internet vendors...their sales drop off ..... Good

Lens companies who own internet vendors ..their sales drop off .... Good

Certain others buy extra toilet paper ... the unimaginable just happened to them ... Good

The public is not happy about no free PD's , no Free adjustments, no internet vendor adjustments or repairs .... Good

The public is so unhappy they complain to the politicians about no free PD's . .... Good

The politicians buy more toilet paper , the unimaginable just happened to them .... Good

The newspapers have lots to report and find themselves doing free publicity for the optometrists and opticians ... Good

Opticians and optometrists drink beer and holiday together while helping out the local economy in the Carribean where they are appreciated and made to feel welcome .... Good

Opticians and optometrists realize they can take matters into their own hands and make it work right ... Good

Labs and delivery services, frame companies and lens companies develop respect & rethink their marketing , they feeel the pinch ..... Good

Yep I have thought about it .
    A rewarding career in law enforcement is waiting for you! It will be right up your alley.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why do you think it would not be realistic Golf ?

What would you propose instead that you would expect to work, Golf ?
    Last edited by idispense; 04-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have serious voting issues too

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Realistic ,I don't know. Is it necessary , yes .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    what's your solution Golf ?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love this thread. I agree wholeheartedly with idispense.
    Not just as Opticians, but as a group of people taken all together as a society, we are generally nothing more than sheep. We've lost sight of what we want, and are spoon-fed what someone else thinks we need, and we've lost the ability to even fight for ourselves. Jees, we don't even turn out to vote for our own darn politicians....
    If we just all got our **** together, we could dictate terms.

I'm in favour of a strike (preemptive tough it may be in Alberta).... though as a student, I won't be spending it on a beach in the Caribbean.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Do you really think that a one week strike of opticians and OD's is realistic? Come on.....think about it!
    I agree - it willl have no effect whatsoever, nor will anyone band together and really give a hoot.

Occupation
    Why does every post from idispense get edited and/or erased later? Pointer...passion is one thing, but rage is another. If you watered some of these posts down a little and weren't so defensive, you may actually gain some support to help the cause.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Why does every post from idispense get edited and/or erased later? Pointer...passion is one thing, but rage is another. If you watered some of these posts down a little and weren't so defensive, you may actually gain some support to help the cause.
    Eman....I don't know but we will all band together and march to our nation's capital. We will fight them in the trenches. We will fight them in the battlefields. We will fight till the death for our cause. We will go on strike for a week. Alot of us will get fired by our employers for missing work but we will continue to fight and march till the end!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    spelling and grammar edits, haven't installed a checker yet, and the software times out

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eman....I don't know but we will all band together and march to our nation's capital. We will fight them in the trenches. We will fight them in the battlefields. We will fight till the death for our cause. We will go on strike for a week. Alot of us will get fired by our employers for missing work but we will continue to fight and march till the end!
    Sorry to bore you fellows, more than willing to listen to any solution you care to propose, but I have not heard you suggest anything. Feel free to give it a shot.

As an owner I am not usually pro union but it is hard to deny that what we have been doing has not been working. Personally I would want BC to regain regulation and would want them to stay licensed. It is hard to deny that joint strength has worked for teachers, auto workers etc and each of them had your same fears . We don't have to be unionized but we need joint strength at times .

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well, if nothing, this got me to thinking, and my first thought was "isn't the College supposed to be our voice?" And then i started to question that assumption, and so I've been digging into it a bit and I have to admit that I'm still not clear exactly what the College is or does for me ( or, more accuratley, ~will~ ) do for me. My romantic, idyllic and naive assumption was that our College is our unified strength, our advocate, and our brotherhood. It's starting to seem like this assumption might be a bit optimistic.

Honestly, I took this course, and chose a new career path because I needed a change, and found that I enjoyed the work and the working conditions, (if not the wage so much) but after seeing the direction our industry seems to be heading, I have to admit I have my doubts every now and again.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Theoretically the Colleges are not your voice , they are the exact opposite, they are there to protect the public not you, but it is your money that they use to protect the public.

Theoretically it is the Associations that are your voice .

However , mix in a large dose of conflict of interest and now you have a totally different scene that is the real story and a totally different story.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Your money as an optician moves into the coffers of the Colleges where it gets disbursed in various amounts to prosecute offenders (opticians) and develop more rules and regs . Some now gets disbursed to other places in the form of donations with and withoutout strings where there are more conflicts of interest and perhaps overlapping directors . The councils are made up of opticians and public members which in itself is a conflict . The meetings are monitored by industry groups who naturally have their own interests and directions. Some of the industries also make their own donations to various other organisations in the heirarchy which is nice but also creates more conflicts .

The intent may all be good but it is a system of overlappping conflicts of interests and ensures that nothing is impartial threby ensuring endless bickering and stalemates.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Christopher, there are many organisations in the heirarchy , however many share the same address and some may exist within the offices of another and share overlapping directors , perhaps even staff.

Now you have the greatly summarized , tree of heirarchy explained in a nut shell .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    well, if nothing, this got me to thinking, and my first thought was "isn't the College supposed to be our voice?" And then i started to question that assumption, and so I've been digging into it a bit and I have to admit that I'm still not clear exactly what the College is or does for me ( or, more accuratley, ~will~ ) do for me. My romantic, idyllic and naive assumption was that our College is our unified strength, our advocate, and our brotherhood. It's starting to seem like this assumption might be a bit optimistic.

Honestly, I took this course, and chose a new career path because I needed a change, and found that I enjoyed the work and the working conditions, (if not the wage so much) but after seeing the direction our industry seems to be heading, I have to admit I have my doubts every now and again.
    College is the regulatory body and not a voice or advocate for the individual optician.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Occupation
    Let's do it! I've got my hockey stick all taped up ready to go...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Christopher your worst fears are likely correct. Associations are supposed to be are advocate. But as we can see from the lack of assistance from them to help fight illegal internet sale they are not filling that role. I find it interesting that Quebec a province that has no ties with OAC or NACOR was the first Province outside of BC to challenge Coast and win. My hope is that Ontario college will follow. I have strong evident to believe they will. The rest of Canadian provinces should have an easy win after that. I think we all owe Quebec a bow.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good luck with your hopes for Ontario , perhaps if they clean sweep out the old codgers and geezers then progress might happen. This should have been accomplished years ago . . Most of these people do not know what is and what is not possible technologically so how could you expect any of them to understand what to do in this case ? Keeping up with technology progress is a young person's world. These people are too busy fighting each other to make any progress in a technology world that has passed them by .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Stop and think about the company KODAK which just filed for bankruptcy. Kodak did not understand technology or keep up with it so they lost out in a digital world plus they were blinded by an old film revenue stream that they erroneously thought would never end .

That also applies to most Optical regulatory Colleges across Canada, they do not understand that their gravy train and free lunch ticket is over. Nor do they understand why . They only understand in Decemeber more license renewal money comes into their bank account. But that is about to change .

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kodak with all it's money and talent and employees went bankrupt , yet a mere handful of 13 people started a small company using some old Kodak technology and found a way to digitize and apply it online . Those 13 just sold out to Facebook for $ 1 BILLION dollars . That is $ 76 million each .

Where was Kodak in all this ? They were blinded by their own Board of Directors . They were hostage to old thoughts that were stuck like crazy glue to an old revenue stream that was based on old film technology when the world had long switched away from their product. .

The moral of the story ? Old Geezers and codgers are no match for nerds and geeks.
    Last edited by idispense; 05-01-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by inside out View Post
    Christopher your worst fears are likely correct. Associations are supposed to be are advocate. But as we can see from the lack of assistance from them to help fight illegal internet sale they are not filling that role. I find it interesting that Quebec a province that has no ties with OAC or NACOR was the first Province outside of BC to challenge Coast and win. My hope is that Ontario college will follow. I have strong evident to believe they will. The rest of Canadian provinces should have an easy win after that. I think we all owe Quebec a bow.
    I agree with you about Quebec, they did not share the same vision and were therefore not encumbered by a conflict of interest stalemate.

Quebec will remain seperate and strong. They have no one to bicker with. They can get things done Effectively with Efficiency and Transparency . Their west does not have to check in with their east to seek permission for central to blow their nose. They are unique and strong and accountable.

Quebec, can quickly make up it's mind and act. Quebec can see it's feet , their shadow is not in the way . Quebec knows the difference between a bylaw and a reg , they do not confuse them with black magic in a Harry Potter novel.

Quebec believes in themselves, they take action and they get the job done, they do the right thing and they are not afraid to do it. They don't seem to have excuses why something can not be done.

They do not seem to need twelve years to debate it and keep telling their members " we are checking into it" .

12 years has gone by now.
    Last edited by idispense; 05-01-2012 at 11:28 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Any one hear whats up with Brucey now ? Is he complying or still being a bad boy

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all talk a lot. But it takes money and many letters to change the BC regulations. CCEPro an organization that I told you about long ago has organized a fund raiser for the next likely party to take office on Feb 18. They have also had meetings with the party in power. While I am proud to hear my fellow Opticians outrage it is outcries in a cave. Reach out became a member of CCEPro. Ask them what you can do to help. They are moving this mountain. Put your righteous energy with them. If we band together with CCEPro leadership we will take back our pride. I am just saying

Thread Information