Thread: who's telling the truth?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

who's telling the truth?

OK.......where I work we switched labs hoping that we would get better service,better turn around time,etc.... I have an issue that I asked about but am not sure I got the truth. I got what looks like a lab ticket,maybe something I'm not suppose to see.It has a layout chart and RX and all the other pertinent stuff.It has what type of progressive it is and also says Kodak clear on every one that I've seen. Well I almost always....no I always order either Essilor Avance or Sapphire for my anti reflective.Every lab ticket I see says Kodak clear on it.So ....for all you lab people out there.Is this a typo or are these tickets automatically generated? I was told it was an error and that we were actually getting what we asked for. I'm not so sure........
    Thx

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had something like this happen to me. I ordered a Verlux Physio Short at 15 hi and on the ticket. It saidthe Manufacture suggested height is 17. I was told it prints outlike that for all the Luxs. I would ? Your problem thou. That’s abig one.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can only speak for Luzerne. You get what you order. Period.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousCat View Post
    I can only speak for Luzerne. You get what you order. Period.
    And this is what it should be without question. You need to get on the phone with that lab and ask questions - and more importantly, get answers. Even labs that do in-house coating will not be able to do every coating out there (there are DOZENS of choices) so ask them how they handle the brands you like to order. You may have to wait a little longer if they outsource it, but at least you'll know what you're getting. I hate getting 'substitutes' of anything, but A/R is the worst - there is so much crap out there.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Can you read the manufacturer's micro etching on the front of the lens? If they exist, that's what will tell you what you have.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The CleAR is a good product I used to get on Signet product. What progressive styles are you using ? They may just use CleAR exclusively, or it is easier or quicker.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use Varilux exclusively....either the Physio or the Physio enhanced

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeAurelius View Post
    Can you read the manufacturer's micro etching on the front of the lens? If they exist, that's what will tell you what you have.
    For a coating?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Avance or Sapphire

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    For a coating?
    Oh, duh. My eyes crossed and saw progressive instead of coating. *rolls eyes*

OptiBoard Professional nicksims's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    If the different a/r coatings look the same to you, then there are problems. If the coatings are truly different (color/feel, etc.), then they have a data/printing issue. We use a few different labs and we always receive paperwork that shows the different lens styles, coatings, etc. without ever the use of a generic term for a coating or lens type. Are you charged the same price regardless of which coating you use? If so, uh-oh (unless you have a contractual reason for this).
    -Nick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The only time this should happen is if you order something unusual and its not sku'd in the system, so for example I can get Nikon AR through Canada, but its so rare that I don't have sku for it in my system. For the 5 a year I do, I don't want to clog up my reports, so it may say something else on the invoice.

But for a common AR, you may be getting substituted.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would anyone continue to use a lab they can't trust?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    +1,000

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not my call - I am 1 of several locations. Unfortunately I have no say over what lab I use! Trust me,there will more investigating in this matter.

Occupation
    I work in a wholesale lab. 95% of the time you get what you ask for. We actually try very hard to make sure of it. There are times that we get difficult, rare A.R. orders that we can't process in house. I"m usually able to get someone to put it on there. However, there are the few cases in which I cannot find anyone that can do it, or the order is so hot to outsource would mean disappointing them turn time wise.

In this case, I will do one of the best/closest in house A.R's I can find, and then form that point on You will receive the same warranty privileges you had been expecting with the A.R. you ordered. Meaning if you payed good money to get a 2yr unlimited warranty, and technically the A.R. I put on your lenses only comes with a one yr. I will always honor the one you payed for. It only seems fair.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ummm, Am I the only one who has seen this hologram in the lenses to prove they are Crizal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXlbBbr-Muw

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarshall View Post
    I work in a wholesale lab. 95% of the time you get what you ask for. We actually try very hard to make sure of it. There are times that we get difficult, rare A.R. orders that we can't process in house. I"m usually able to get someone to put it on there. However, there are the few cases in which I cannot find anyone that can do it, or the order is so hot to outsource would mean disappointing them turn time wise.

In this case, I will do one of the best/closest in house A.R's I can find, and then form that point on You will receive the same warranty privileges you had been expecting with the A.R. you ordered. Meaning if you payed good money to get a 2yr unlimited warranty, and technically the A.R. I put on your lenses only comes with a one yr. I will always honor the one you payed for. It only seems fair.
    Do you inform the account of what has transpired?

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by eyechick1969 View Post
    ummm, Am I the only one who has seen this hologram in the lenses to prove they are Crizal?

Does that work with Optifog?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    invisible hologram

wow's do you really sell optifog? Nice if you do! I haven't had great luck with it. The lack of fog seems to leave an abundance of water on the lenses in my experience. Kind of a trade off.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Java99 View Post
    Do you inform the account of what has transpired?
    Every one of my accounts are different. Some want to know ever little detail about the process of their lens, what exactly their getting, and how much it will cost. So yes, I do in fact call those accounts.

However, I do have a few accounts that have told me they trust my decisions, they are extremely busy and do not care to be bothered with things like this. They only get a phone call when I feel there's going to be problems, or they have made specific special requests and I know cannot be done.

It's basically a balance of keeping everyone happy depending on their personalities and preferences.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarshall View Post
    Every one of my accounts are different. Some want to know ever little detail about the process of their lens, what exactly their getting, and how much it will cost. So yes, I do in fact call those accounts.

However, I do have a few accounts that have told me they trust my decisions, they are extremely busy and do not care to be bothered with things like this. They only get a phone call when I feel there's going to be problems, or they have made specific special requests and I know cannot be done.

It's basically a balance of keeping everyone happy depending on their personalities and preferences.
    Thumbs Up!!! +1000!!!!!

Occupation
    Thank you...thank you!! There may, in fact, be a good reason I'm the supervisor. :-)

Thread Information