Thread: New Shamir Lenses

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Shamir Lenses

Has anyone used the new Shamir Golf or the Shamir First PAL? If anyone has used or sold them, I would be interested in any feedback you have!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I have not seen sku's come through the computer for them yet, but if I get a hold of one I will let you know.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Shamir rep came by recently and dropped off some literature regarding the Golf Lens product but when I probed further he was honest enough to say he did not have any recent technical training on the product. I'd like to know more if anybody else has any (useful) input.

Personally, I might fit it if I have a patient who is looking for "Golf Specific" sunwear. My office is near several quality golf communities (including Quail Hollow) so I have the type of patient who is interested in the investment. I just need to find my guinea pig! :)
    Last edited by NCspecs; 04-12-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: clarification
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our rep was in recently with some basic information about it. She did not have detailed specifications yet but left us the brochure. If you find your guinea pig, let me know how it works! If I get any more information on it, I will pass it on!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I have not seen sku's come through the computer for them yet, but if I get a hold of one I will let you know.

Thanks, I would appreciate it! We were told they released April 1 but I haven't seen them yet

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    We've run the validation and a few test jobs through the lab and they are available, but we haven't received any orders for them yet (that I know of). I did attend their webinar on the lenses and further abused our rep for some more info.

The Golf and Golf SV are Wrap designs only. The Golf design alters the "speed" of the intermediate corridor from distance to near. See here for an excellent graph of the difference in power progression: http://www.shamir.com/index.php?opti...lf™&Itemid=249. After asking three people at Shamir, I finally got our rep to admit there's really no differnce between the Golf SV and the Autograph II Attitude SV.

The FirstPal is specifically designed for first time progressive wearers, with an add range of 0.75 to 1.50. With the low maximum add, they've focused on making the distance and near as wide as possible. See also here: http://www.shamir.com/index.php?opti...l-™&Itemid=251

Feel free to PM or email me with any specific questions.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by acoakley View Post
    Thanks, I would appreciate it! We were told they released April 1 but I haven't seen them yet
    This is the first time I have even heard of these lenses.... and we pretty much are a Shamir only office... interesting, I see how we "rate".
    Can't wait to hear how the "First PAL" works. I wonder if since the dist and near are 'wide' (as stated in a prev post) if it will cause problems for pt's when they require a stronger add-needing to use a lens that does not have as wide of area.

Thread Information