Thread: Essilor/Gerber Kappa Edger and Not Using the Barcode Scanner Question

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Essilor/Gerber Kappa Edger and Not Using the Barcode Scanner Question

Although I like the Kappa's they have this strange set up where you cannot hand enter numbers (like the tray number) into the machine, you can only scan bar codes. Its annoying, time consuming and not environmentally friendly to have to print a piece of paper just enter a number.

Has anyone connected a 10 key or full keyboard to the Kappa's in replacement of the scanner?

Thanks

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have put the barcode stickers on old business cards and keep them stacked near the edger and just put one in each tray and reuse them over and over and over. No extra printing and only takes the time needed to scan the barcode.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Kappa's are only supported by barcode readers and a keyboard can not be used in its place. I see that you are listed as a wholesaler, is your kappa connected to a pc with a lab software? Do you not want to enter every job in the computer? If so, then I agree with bob_f_aboc to place barcodes on something that can be placed in the each tray for edging and when job is complete reuse for another tray. You can also attach a barcode on each tray and use in the same manner. I believe the barcode reader is used so that you have less human error of inputting wrong job number via a keyboard.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Kappa's are only supported by barcode readers and a keyboard can not be used in its place. I see that you are listed as a wholesaler, is your kappa connected to a pc with a lab software? Do you not want to enter every job in the computer? If so, then I agree with bob_f_aboc to place barcodes on something that can be placed in the each tray for edging and when job is complete reuse for another tray. You can also attach a barcode on each tray and use in the same manner. I believe the barcode reader is used so that you have less human error of inputting wrong job number via a keyboard.
    In our end, that is a lot of possible bar codes as we don't use tray numbers, everything is on a unique RX number. All our new WECO's have a key pad and its easy to enter or make changes right on the machine. Its a lot of paper and time wasted to walk back to the printer, create a bar code, print that bar code, then walk back across the room to scan it in.

I will have to consider using a computer or tablet to create a code and then scan it, but I don't know if the waste of paper is larger than the waste of electricity.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Most lab software applications such as Innovations have an option to print a bar code on the work ticket. It may be worth the time to enter all job types including SV for rx and shape file saving.

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I just remembered creating a program for the Palm Pilot to provide barcode-reader emulation using a keypad, back when the Kappa came out. The problem is, the machine expects to receive all the characters in rapid succession, as they come from a reader, so you can't just connect a keypad. The program on the Palm would buffer the keystrokes and release them all at once when the user pressed "enter".

You could probably do something like that with a iPod touch or similar device.

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We used a system like that at one time and printed tray #'s on a label and attached that to a pattern blank, but you could print the barcode on a label and attach that to the tray for scanning. You can google a free barcode download, and have it for printing your labels on a avery lable.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post
    I just remembered creating a program for the Palm Pilot to provide barcode-reader emulation using a keypad, back when the Kappa came out. The problem is, the machine expects to receive all the characters in rapid succession, as they come from a reader, so you can't just connect a keypad. The program on the Palm would buffer the keystrokes and release them all at once when the user pressed "enter".

That is what I was thinking too... Strange way to do it, but it should work.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by shanbaum View Post

I am trying to savepaper, and save time walking back to the computer, which is across the room. Currently we lose 22 minutes a day printing, and walking to the printer. Not much, and until you add that up every single day.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    [QUOTE=Mick;419921]We used a system like that at one time and printed tray #'s on a label and attached that to a pattern blank, but you could print the barcode on a label and attach that to the tray for scanning. You can google a free barcode download, and have it for printing your labels on a avery lable.[/QUOTE

Thats a possiblity, thanks. And Welcome ot Optiboard Mick!

OptiBoardaholic OptiBoard Gold Supporter Mick's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hope you find the solution. Those extra minutes saved could add up to more beer time!

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    is there some automatically barcode scanner program c# we can use so we don't have to spend so much time on this.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Barcode Architect for android produces Code 39 bar-codes my Kappas will read. Though the input is a little clunky. Perhaps an Arduino type device that Either displays a bar-code or sends a mock signal straight to the serial port?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnJ View Post
    Thanks for your instructions. As there are so many barcode readers to choose, any suggestions?

Thread Information