Thread: I Lived Through My State Licensing Exam, need a little ENCOURAGEMENT...

OptiBoard Professional eyecarepro's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I Lived Through My State Licensing Exam, need a little ENCOURAGEMENT...

I am happy to report that I FINALLY got through the long awaited State Licensing Practical Board Exam. Just got back from taking the exam about 3 or 4 days ago. I went in nervous, but feeling fairly mentally prepared. Unfortunately, I left the exam that day not feeling quite as prepared as I originally thought I was. (Duplicating cataract specs is NOT my forte). As badly as I want to pass, I refuse to put all my eggs into one basket. I've attempted to adopt the mentality that this exam was nothing more than a trial run. If I don't pass- at least I know the kinds of things to expect for next time around so that I CAN be more prepared. I have a sinking feeling that I did not recieve a passing score. I tend to freeze under time constraints. I was only one of a handful of candidates that were taking the Licensing Exam for the first time. Needless to say, that was NOT terribly reassuring. I DID, however pass my ABO written portion the first time around, three years ago. But this is a whole new ball of whacks. It could be up to eight weeks before I recieve my results. It hasn't even been a week since I took the exam! I hate the suspense! I maintain my position that this was JUST a practice/trial run taking my exam. I will try not to be too disappointed when I recieve the letter telling me when the next exam dates are and when and where to report, etc.,etc. I could probably use some words of encouragement at this time. If anyone has any words of wisdom for me besides 'relax and be patient' they are MORE than welcome. I KNOW MANY,MANY of you all out there have been in my shoes, perhaps more than once. Help!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure you did just fine. I took the exams 6 times, and 5 times I thought I did well. The 6th time, I thought I really screwed up and I didn't, I passed instead and I didn't have the benefit of formal education that you did.

Just remember, they can't cancel your birthday!

Come by the store and we'll talk through the exam.

Master OptiBoarder Cindy Hamlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Eyecarepro,
    I, too, took and passed the VA. practical test. I was fortunate enough to pass on my first try! I, too, sweated blood that I had failed. I didn't feel good about my attempt when I left!

I had a friend that took the test at the same time and the person administering the exam in one section with 2 parts wasn't clear on the directions. A friend of mine was waiting for the instruction to start the second section. I realized that she had said to start the second when you had done the first. My friend, subsequently, didn't complete a whole section of the test! She ended up passing the test!

I was the last in our group to be notified of my status on the test. (2 friends passed, 2 failed). I got the copy of my license and could see the blue through the window and I was in Heaven!

So, don't be too hard on yourself! You may be okay!:D
    ~Cindy

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird-

Bad address email on file

Thumbs up

Don't worry if you don't pass the first time...I took the SC state board twice and it was a pain. Just remember what you feel you didn't understand and focus on that next time. Yea, I've heard the NC and VA boards are tuff...good thing though, keeps us on our toes :). Good Luck :)

eyeguy:cheers:

Thread Information