Thread: Tools

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tools

Just curious... Have any of you ever purchased your own tool kit for work?I get so tired of never being able to find the tools i need when i need them the most. I always put tools back in their designated area, but other coworkers obviously are not courteous enough to return tools after they use them. Eventually they are found, and sometimes in the oddest
    places. Tools can get pretty pricey. Any thoughts?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Always buy the best tools.

You should buy your own, I do . It helps to say you are professional and distinguish yourself from the rest. It also makes the transition to self employment easier. You should be branding yourself as you work as well . Business cards with your name on them . Cleaning clothes with your name. Engrave your name on your tools and emboss your name on a leather tool kit pouch.

When you adjust glasses set your tool pouch on the table so the customer can read your name on the pouch as it is opened in front of them. They will remember you and ask for you .

Eventually the boss will notice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have worked with plenty of TOOLS!

I also have many, many of my own tools. At my day job, I have a combo of tools that I own, tools that the company owns and tools of unknown origin.

I suggest caution in bringing your own tools to work. They may be considered company property and you may be out of luck should your position there end.
    Last edited by Fezz; 04-06-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    Always buy the best tools.

You should buy your own, I do . It helps to say you are professional and distinguish yourself from the rest. It also makes the transition to self employment easier. You should be branding yourself as you work as well . Business cards with your name on them . Cleaning clothes with your name. Engrave your name on your tools and emboss your name on a leather tool kit pouch.

When you adjust glasses set your tool pouch on the table so the customer can read your name on the pouch as it is opened in front of them. They will remember you and ask for you .

Eventually the boss will notice.

This may also give you the opportunity to be self employed much sooner than you expected if the boss doesn't like you self promoting!

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I only own 2 tools personally. Both Hilco. One is a little screw inserter that I could not live without. I acquired it when working at SGH in the 90's. The other is a metal ruler which I've engraved "KEN RULES" on the back.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have a few tools I own personally also. One is a regular screwdriver, with a steel blade, about 25 years old, and the other is a pair of parallel jaw pliers, all steel no fibers, about 35 years old. My PD rule is an old American Optical wood with fake Ivory, about 37 years old. Heck, even my cross pen is 25 years old. Rules are, you can use the screwdriver and plier but they must stay where they are on the counter, move them to another room and die. Pen and PD rule are off limits.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you have your own at work, be sure and engrave your name in the handle.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I call it my Nerd Pocket. I have a Nerd Protecter w/ 2 screw drivers pd ruler, ink pen, high lighter, dry pen and pen lite. My wife just sakes her head. But I do not have to go far for my tools!

Thread Information