Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Customers came in after 7 years to complain about lenses!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Somewhere over the Colorful Spectrum of Light
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, sorry this happened to you. I am also very glad to hear you stood your ground. Hope all comes around and works out for you. Don't let one couple ruin a fabulous business for the rest of your great clients.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry for the bummer clients. I had a customer call and APOLOGIZE!!!! Yes apologize for questioning my price to him vs the price his wife paid for similar products, but one digital vs standard. After he researched the digital lenses I gave his wife, he actually called and apologized and now wants som e for himself. For all of the bad apples that we have floating in and out of our lives, there are the few who suprise you.
    I came, I saw, I left

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A word you can give such customers: ESAD. You will learn someday on the internet what this means, it is the perfect reply for this.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They would never even ask for free lenses!

Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    Craig, I understand that a normal store would feel it is an outrageous thing for a customer to have beef after seven years but if they paid.. lets say 10k for the lenses and the frame as you have said in the past that your sales are that high, I think you would owe them at least a courtesy remake.
    CNG
    I would laugh at them and trust me when I tell you that no one warrant any special considerations after 7 years and I would never do it.
    I did just replace a lens that a guy lost, but he has spent $8,000.00 in the past 12 months- new customer- and I have had a problem with that frame doing the same thing. it is a $2,400.00 frame and it should not get loose after 4 months.

I am all about fair!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Wow, some people have unrealistic ideas on how long eyeglasses should last. I think you handled it well, please don't let people like that ruin your day, they aren't worth it.

I have a frame that I still use that's from 2001, I put my over the contacts driving glasses in it. I also have some favorite suns that are 5 years old. But I don't expect glasses to last over 5 years, especially with lots of wear.

I have to ask, what happened to the lenses? What did she pay for them 7 years ago?
    They were single vision 1.67 with ar for $300 and they are now $350. The coating fell off after 6.8 years.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We had a husband and wife come back yesterday and go off on us about our lack of quality products. How can her glasses be so bad in such a short time! My wife dealt with them at first and tried to be nice, but the lady wanted new lenses for free after 7 years!

She wanted a guarantee if she bought new lenses this would never happen again; they were asked to leave after we found the order from 7 years ago.

Who comes back after 7 years and is nasty? I told them it was like bringing the car back after 150,000 miles when the car has a 30,000 mile warranty and they think they are entitled.

It ruined our day and I am calling the person at the newspaper who goes after businesses that do not do the right thing, how about a customer who is crazy.

Ranted and feel better.

Craig
    Wow after reading 3/4 ths of this story and if there would have been multiple choice of answers ranging from:
    A). Threw them out!!!
    B). Apologized profusely and remade for N/C
    or
    C). Sold the couple each a new pair of $10,000.00 glasses.
    I swear with Craigs rep I would have picked C, this just shows that Craig does deal with some of the same clients we are all use to seeing (well.... I use to see anyway).

Barticus Prime - Optibot opticianbart's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    Wow, some people have unrealistic ideas on how long eyeglasses should last. I think you handled it well, please don't let people like that ruin your day, they aren't worth it.
    +1, Couldn't have said it better

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Unfortunately too many businesses these days leave an impression that a refund or redo is given for any reason.
    I cringe every time my boss does this, or our boss's boss. Consumers have learned that If you ask for the person's supervisor enough times eventually you come to someone to believes that the customer is always right.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    So far as I know only Craftsman tools and LL Bean have unlimited warranties.
    Cutco knives, which is why I gunning for a set for my wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I say "memory metal" or "titanium" and they hear "unbreakable." I say "scratch resistant" and they hear "scratch-proof." I say "Transitions" or "polarized" or "progressive" or "anti-reflective" and they hear "magic."

You can only talk; you can't make them listen.
    What's really bad is when they've heard a specific product's name and they won't be happy until they have it, nevermind that it doesn't make sense for them to have it. Like the lady I had yesterday who just HAD to have polygraph lenses because she wanted the thinest lenses she could get. Yeah she had a -8.50 ou. You try to explain, but they just don't listen. (which is when you document the cr*p out of everthing and write it on the file and hope that your boss doesn't decide to give them a refund anyway.)
    Bart Smith, continuing to be awesome since 1982 so that you don't have to.

Love is a duet, each voice complementing each other and making them sound better than they would alone, each voice at times stepping back and letting the other shine. We've got a pretty good duet going Tina.

On April 28th, I'll be marrying my best friend. I can't wait!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yep I have had pt's come in after 10years saying the last optician said the frame and lenses had a lifetime warranty. And to that I reply: “They are no longer here. That tells you how good they were.” The last optical I worked at was in a Red Light part of town.

Or you say progressives lenses and theysay: “They get dark out side.” and you say: “No those areTransitions.” and they say: “Oh they get stronger at the bottom?”

Or you get some dumb pt that callstemples legs and by the time you are done talking to them you arereferring to temples as legs too. Had that happen the other day. Our tecks were laughing at me all day.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    They were single vision 1.67 with ar for $300 and they are now $350. The coating fell off after 6.8 years.
    Musta been Windex + paper towels...

B

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    this is one of many reasons i'm glad i'm not in retail anymore.

Banned
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I think JC Penney can be blamed (somehow) for this, with his saying "The customer is always right." And its corollary, "Even when he's wrong, he's right."

Personally, I think that's a load of (insert your fav deleted expletive here) dingo kidneys (and apologies to dingos).

Anyone who has been in retail more than 5 minutes knows that the customer is usually right, but you still have to cross the t's and dot the i's. Fortunately, its only about 20% of the customers who are not right and only about 5% of THOSE who are like the ones referred to above. It makes a person wonder why these people get such a head of steam going over such a small matter as this, to the point where they seemed ready for a physical confrontation. Me, I would have called the cops as soon as voices were raised. This is your place of business, and you have welcomed them in, but that welcome can be withdrawn at any time, and if they refuse to leave, a simple call to 911 usually makes even the most obstinate fool depart for other pastures.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tell Mell is going to ask for opinions from readers.

I spoke with the newspaper writer and she is going to call the customers to get their side of the story and let her readers decide who is correct. She though this was a great opportunity to write an article that the customer is only correct 90% of the time while the business cannot be expected to take care of the last 10% as well!

It should be interesting and I will post the article.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig...I feel your pain. You now know one of the major reasons why I left the optical business (for awhile) and especially the west coast of Florida. There are some truly crazy people there ( I'm on the Board of Directors of NAMI, so I know crazy when I see it). STAND YOUR GROUND! The customer is not always right and usually, they are wrong. Your establishment has a great rep with other optical people in SW Fla, so don't sweat it. Good Luck!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We don 't do hearing aids too!! But since our opticians board got thrown in with the hearing aid one maybe we should!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Old lenses cost her $300, the new price is $350, after prorating the price over 7 years she owes $350 and of course I would stand behind it for that price, come back in 7 years and we'll prorate the new lenses again. Or if she wanted I would only charge her wholesale + my time and labor which would have rounded out to around $350. Or option #3, I could have credited her the price of the frame towards a slightly used frame from the donation box with new lenses at the discounted price of $350. Sometimes it's mroe fun to fight crazy with crazy. Sorry it had to ruin a good friday.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeManFla View Post
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde
    Heh. Very true. ;) Maith thú

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    Old lenses cost her $300, the new price is $350, after prorating the price over 7 years she owes $350 and of course I would stand behind it for that price, come back in 7 years and we'll prorate the new lenses again. Or if she wanted I would only charge her wholesale + my time and labor which would have rounded out to around $350. Or option #3, I could have credited her the price of the frame towards a slightly used frame from the donation box with new lenses at the discounted price of $350. Sometimes it's mroe fun to fight crazy with crazy. Sorry it had to ruin a good friday.
    I would love to be a fly on the wall for this conversation if it could possibly occur. it would be hilarious! :)
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by NCspecs View Post
    I would love to be a fly on the wall for this conversation if it could possibly occur. it would be hilarious! :)
    I would have to be wearing a visor hat and cruching the numbers on an old school calculator with the printer receipt and all. Crazy people require crazy retorts sometimes, it's the only way to help them either see the error in their ways or give up thinking you are crazier then they are.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    I would have to be wearing a visor hat and cruching the numbers on an old school calculator with the printer receipt and all. Crazy people require crazy retorts sometimes, it's the only way to help them either see the error in their ways or give up thinking you are crazier then they are.
    Don't forget the arm bands on your sleeves and the cigar you would chomp on as well. It would also help if you had an old-timey chicago "gangster" accent. Thinking along the lines of the Sting. :P
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Thread Information