Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 102

Thread: I just ordered my new Santinelli ME-1200!

  1. #26
    Doh! braheem24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    KOCF & 89ft ASL
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    3,829
    I had some junk lenses lying around. ;)

  2. #27
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I dunno. I just can't get that excited about an edger. You guys gotta get a life....enjoy.
    I <3 my ME1200!!
    Pez:D

  3. #28
    Doh! braheem24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    KOCF & 89ft ASL
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    3,829
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    I don't even get that excited over my Heidelberg Retinal Tomographer.
    You realize you're comparing 6K to 60K, and probably 10% of your patient's benefit from an HRT whereas 100% from the edger, 2002 technology to 2012 technology everything is 10 fold even the excitement ;)

  4. #29
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175

    Thumbs up I have to tell you that service is not dead!

    I have known the folks at Santinelli personally for 7+ years; every executive in the company is still there and they are not family. The boss is not the easiest guy- he is a lot like me but an Italian version- but he must be doing something correctly to keep his people for all these years.

    I ordered my new machine and had some concerns about my expectations for the machine; I do 85% trivex and they do not know if anybody else does the type of work we run on a daily basis. The newest version was just optimized for trivex and it should take care of my issues, but that is no guarantee. I have a machine that is #3 ME-1000 from 7+ years ago and we have no problems with the work we do and to get a new machine and have an issue that does not exist would not make anybody happy.\

    I was speaking with Franco last night -after hours- who is responsible for the machine technology in the US and he was the utmost professional possible!!! He was not going to guarantee me that the machine will meet all my expectations out of the box, but we did agree on what was acceptable and what to do if it did not meet the expected level of work. Perfection!

    The answer was simple; at installation we will know if it is perfect! We will numerous test lenses in thick ft-28 trivex with super hydro as it is the toughest material to process for the machine. We went to a trivex roughing wheel in our ME-1000 and it has been a perfect machine ever since. They do not offer one for the ME-1200 so if we have an issue, they will make me a wheel that ensures perfect work! That is service!

    That is why I am buying another machine and never even looked at another company. They charge an extra $10,000 per machine and it is worth it to me.

    Craig

  5. #30
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Down in a hole!
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,045
    Thanks for posting that Craig!

    To often, we only hear crying and whining about companies or product. It is refreshing to hear when a company EXCEDES expectations!

    Good luck and please keep us posted!

  6. #31
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I ordered my new machine and had some concerns about my expectations for the machine; I do 85% trivex and they do not know if anybody else does the type of work we run on a daily basis. The newest version was just optimized for trivex and it should take care of my issues, but that is no guarantee. I have a machine that is #3 ME-1000 from 7+ years ago and we have no problems with the work we do and to get a new machine and have an issue that does not exist would not make anybody happy.\
    I can say the one thing to watch out for with the ME-1200 and processing that much Trivex is the build up behind the wheels. As long as you are diligent in cleaning out the chamber and reaching up and behind the wheels every night after use, and I do mean EVERY night, you shouldn't have much issue at all. I was talking to the techs about making a water hose that is attached to the underside of the machine behind the wheels so you could use it during the cleaning process. Their Techs rock by the way! And the have online tech chat now that is most awesome. Congrats! It is a great machine!
    Pez:D

  7. #32
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    We have the same problem with the ME1000 and we told them 7years ago to put another water behind there while making the metal piece flip-up to you can get back there to clean it out!
    I am ordering a trivex wheel for it to be tested at Santinelli; it will take about a month to get it done and then Barry can get one as well. It cuts all material better. Imagine combing the best features of blade cutting and adding them to the roughing wheel; the melting of material goes way down and high index 1.74 in a -14.00D sounds and processes like cr-39!!

    It makes that much of a difference and we get to be the first one in the world with this wheel combo. The new wheel is only $350 ish and worth every penny.

  8. #33
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We have the same problem with the ME1000 and we told them 7years ago to put another water behind there while making the metal piece flip-up to you can get back there to clean it out!
    I am ordering a trivex wheel for it to be tested at Santinelli; it will take about a month to get it done and then Barry can get one as well. It cuts all material better. Imagine combing the best features of blade cutting and adding them to the roughing wheel; the melting of material goes way down and high index 1.74 in a -14.00D sounds and processes like cr-39!!

    It makes that much of a difference and we get to be the first one in the world with this wheel combo. The new wheel is only $350 ish and worth every penny.

    Please keep us posted on how it does! The ME1200 is such a wonderful machine already I'm curious to hear how the wheel does in actual in-office processing :)
    Pez:D

  9. #34
    OptiBoard Novice
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    4
    Be sure that your installer goes over THOROUGHLY all the features. This machine will go as far as your imagination will take it and you need to be sure that you're using all that is and will be available... Best to you

  10. #35
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    It arrived today and is being installed Monday. We have the first machine with the new high base finishing wheel and trivex step bevel; they say the entire package is much better on poly and trivex.
    I will run for a month with the original wheel and then get the trivex roughing wheel to see what we like.

    It is a cool toy and they would not allow us to set up without them. I did ask.

  11. #36
    Underemployed Genius Jacqui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Frostbite Falls, Mn.
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Posts
    7,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    It arrived today and is being installed Monday. We have the first machine with the new high base finishing wheel and trivex step bevel; they say the entire package is much better on poly and trivex.
    I will run for a month with the original wheel and then get the trivex roughing wheel to see what we like.

    It is a cool toy and they would not allow us to set up without them. I did ask.
    Proud Member of the ABE Club!
    Don't feed the Beast...

  12. #37
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    Please keep us posted on how it does! The ME1200 is such a wonderful machine already I'm curious to hear how the wheel does in actual in-office processing :)
    Do you have any off axis of ft in trivex or thick poly with a super hydro? Does the machine sound different as it hits the roughing wheel via material? I am going to run it for a month with the original roughing wheel.

    What type of work are you doing on it and what other machines have you run to campare it to? I can't wait until Monday to get it done!!

  13. #38
    Master OptiBoarder LENNY's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    BROOKLYNSK, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    4,325
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Do you have any off axis of ft in trivex or thick poly with a super hydro? Does the machine sound different as it hits the roughing wheel via material? I am going to run it for a month with the original roughing wheel.

    What type of work are you doing on it and what other machines have you run to campare it to? I can't wait until Monday to get it done!!
    How many jobs u do a day?

  14. #39
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    We do 5-10 drill/groove jobs per day and a few 8 base wrap that we can now save $35-$40 per job. I counted 12 on the shelf out for edging that we can now do ourself and I will not have to run over to UPS by 6 to drop off my work!!

  15. #40
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175

    Blue Jumper Barry is coming to help train us on the new toy!!! Optical Brotherhood!

    I want to let you all know about the brotherhood that does exist on this board. I got a message from Barry Santini that he wants to come down to my store and help train us on some of his edger tricks!

    We have never met in person nor do we run similar operation, but we do agree to respect each others opinions and strengths; he is the lens master and I am just the luxury guy who thinks everyone should sell $1,000+ frames to all!

    I just ordered my new roughing wheel and it will be installed next month, that will provide an opportunity for him to see the difference in the wheels as he runs the standard Nidek wheel on his new 1200.

    He will show us how we are missing the boat on magnetic clip on's and we will show him the value of offering some more unique products. We will learn from each other and I am very excited to meet him and learn from the lens master!! Lens Master is a craftsman who runs the machine, designs the best optics- price of lenses is not the primary concern- while also having to sell the job and dispense it! It is one thing to sell, build or design amazing glasses, but he actually gets into the lens part of the job like a madman!

    This might be an opportunity for a few others to join him for a few days! John, Fezz and others can you hear me?

    There are some folks on this board who **** me off; but most are wonderful people and I thank you all for the years of wisdom.

    Humbly,
    Craig

  16. #41
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,779
    I'd luv to learn more from Johns and Fezz

  17. #42
    Independent Owner kcount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    1,714
    Barry, when are you heading to FL? I may ask to sit in on this one.

    KC
    "If you don't build your dream, someone will hire you to help build theirs..."-Tony Gaskins

    So I built Prentice Optical Lab.

    Prentice Optical Lab
    Independent Wholesale Optical Lab
    Glenview, IL
    (847) 729-1700

  18. #43
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Down in a hole!
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    13,045
    I might be up for a road trip?

    Any idea on when yet?

  19. #44
    OptiWizard OptiBoard Bronze Supporter pezfaerie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    California
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Posts
    314
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Do you have any off axis of ft in trivex or thick poly with a super hydro? Does the machine sound different as it hits the roughing wheel via material? I am going to run it for a month with the original roughing wheel.

    What type of work are you doing on it and what other machines have you run to campare it to? I can't wait until Monday to get it done!!
    We use the orange TAK pads from Salem Vision group so we have not had any off axis problems with the super hydro AR lenses. The issue I see the most is when I am cutting a -14.00 or higher and the blank hits 2 wheels instead of 1 and ends up with a funky 2nd bevel. But knowing how to use the hand edger helps to clean that up. It does sound different when it edges different materials. We do drill mounts, silhouettes and air locks, steps like Oakley, Wiley X and Maui Jim, and some high power jobs here and there. I LOVE the polish finish on this edger, so shiny! Previously we used a Santinelli 9000SX express and a Santinelli 7070.
    Pez:D

  20. #45
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175

    Idea

    Quote Originally Posted by pezfaerie View Post
    We use the orange TAK pads from Salem Vision group so we have not had any off axis problems with the super hydro AR lenses. The issue I see the most is when I am cutting a -14.00 or higher and the blank hits 2 wheels instead of 1 and ends up with a funky 2nd bevel. But knowing how to use the hand edger helps to clean that up. It does sound different when it edges different materials. We do drill mounts, silhouettes and air locks, steps like Oakley, Wiley X and Maui Jim, and some high power jobs here and there. I LOVE the polish finish on this edger, so shiny! Previously we used a Santinelli 9000SX express and a Santinelli 7070.
    We also use the orange TAK pads and found them to be the final solution to avoiding slippage! My new configuration should take care of what you describe for thick lenses as the high curve finishing wheel is on the outside now so you can put in a larger lens without it hitting. The step bevel would also then be able to take it off for you. They increased the lens blanks by 6mm?

    The trivex wheel makes all material cut and sound the same; you cannot tell if it cutting a plano cr-39 or a -8 trivex. The wheel cuts and does not burn off the material while utilizing a lower temperature to cut down on the melting swarf from poly and trivex.

    We need to set up a sharing platform for the work we have done to help each other. I have over 2,000 patterns with most of them being drill mounts. This is the future and a way we can all benefit from owning the ME-1200. There are only a few independents who own them and would be willing to share.

    I have over 30 drill/groove jobs waiting for the new machine and a ft-28 mirror coated poly polarized in a -8.00 to ensure we have no slippage issues as a test.

  21. #46
    Doh! braheem24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    KOCF & 89ft ASL
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Posts
    3,829
    Craig, I have the Santinelli shipping hardware, Box and crate for an ME-1000 if you want it.

  22. #47
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    thanks, but they sent it from Santinelli. 9 am install!!!

  23. #48
    Master OptiBoarder
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Oakville
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I might be up for a road trip?

    Any idea on when yet?
    I hope your idea of a road trip turns out differently than the road trip that John Belushi and his housemates took in the movie Animal House.

    Regards,
    Golfnorth

  24. #49
    Bad address email on file
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    2,175
    We are up and running-almost. We have a small polish issue that needs to be solved, but we are very impressed so far. It is still slow, but it will much easier on the drill bits and it is quiet!
    The old one was loud and this one is so quiet that we can talk next to the edger no the phone. I will keep you posted as we learn how to use it.

  25. #50
    Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Seaford, NY USA
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Posts
    5,779
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We are up and running-almost. We have a small polish issue that needs to be solved, but we are very impressed so far. It is still slow, but it will much easier on the drill bits and it is quiet!
    The old one was loud and this one is so quiet that we can talk next to the edger no the phone. I will keep you posted as we learn how to use it.
    Great! Was the "old" noise due to the special wheels?

    B

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need Tool for Satisloh Coating Machine 1200 DLF
    By Rafael in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2010, 09:51 AM
  2. $12.00 glasses ordered online
    By Leighlee in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 08:58 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-27-2007, 01:14 PM
  4. Finally Ordered My Glasses
    By Boowank in forum General Optics and Eyecare Discussion Forum
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-17-2006, 01:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
OptiBoard is proudly sponsored by:
Younger Optics and Vision Equipment