Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Opticianry Summit?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I step in because optometry is supposedly represented.

1. The AOA is a joke. Every optometrist knows this. Enjoy their company.
    2. Elistism vs. populism. Just sayin'. All committees, boards, and officers are worth doody. What matters is what rank and file think.
    3. The solution to opticianry's "identity" is simple: look to the market to see what the public needs. I see a need for somebody, anybody, who knows something about optics and general optical operations and isn't a pawn of a slick advertising campaign.
    4. As to economic viability of the profession, that's a tougher nut to crack, but the answer is individual entrepreneurial ability.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So many public College educators already have stated their curriculum preference... the 19th century model of a 2-years program duration . AAS of two (2)-years program duration is the mantra. No matter what any opticianry school puts into their program, make sure it remains a 2-year course duration.
    Proven program effectiveness of private shorter-duration opticianry programs are irrelevant considerations to this 2-year length of program model. And if technological advances, new training aids and the Internet happen to speed up learning processes, no matter. Just keep all opticianry programs at 2-years... after all, it’s the way things were always done.

Well surprise, surprise... we are now in the 21st century. And it is time for all ‘opticianry leaders’ to re-think curriculums and licensure in terms of demonstrated competencies, rather than the process. MUST KNOW, SHOULD KNOW and NICE TO KNOW categories cover all the opticianry learning competencies.

I also sense a real danger in having non-educators involved in curriculum design. Some retailers will insist on a supply of super salesman, while others may want marketing gurus. Most big optical chains want cheap labour, while many Optometrists want to continue providing new Optometric Assistants with their in-house “will train’ models.

Some wag once said, “A camel is a horse designed by a committee”. I don’t know what
    new ideas this ultra-large ‘Summit’ of leaders will finally endorse, but I wish them well.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    As to economic viability of the profession, that's a tougher nut to crack, but the answer is individual entrepreneurial ability.
    This answer has been VERIFIED!

A BIG +1!

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not invited, but have friends who will be there. I am hopeful.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    sigh....

We will be successful with or without positive opinions/vibes from the gallery. Fezz, while I think you are nice guy and a great optician, you think it is BS because YOU were not personally invited? Really?

Every time I am tempted to post here, negative mud-slinging reminds me why I refrain.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors. As for myself, I will remain positive and work hard and volunteer on Opticianry's behalf. What are you doing?

Laurie
    I understand how frustrating it is to read some of the garbage and meanness that is posted, but you are one of my favorites in the industry and I need you! You are looking out for the best possible interests of many folks-students, facility, consumers, companies of technology and hopefully yourself as well in addition to all of your optical world! This is not easy on such a tiny lady, but you are up to the task and we will go forward.

The future for my stores is brighter than ever and we need folks like you to help keep the training going towards the future. Just pity the ignorant and let them die a slow optical death.

I love the internet for glasses and cannot wait for VSP to have it's entire offering available on-line. The only one's left standing will be properly run opticals in all price arenas and MD's. The time is perfect for the independent to thrive again and prosper as the times change.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Want to move to Florida and open stores with me?

Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    I step in because optometry is supposedly represented.

1. The AOA is a joke. Every optometrist knows this. Enjoy their company.
    2. Elistism vs. populism. Just sayin'. All committees, boards, and officers are worth doody. What matters is what rank and file think.
    3. The solution to opticianry's "identity" is simple: look to the market to see what the public needs. I see a need for somebody, anybody, who knows something about optics and general optical operations and isn't a pawn of a slick advertising campaign.
    4. As to economic viability of the profession, that's a tougher nut to crack, but the answer is individual entrepreneurial ability.
    1-no knowledge of the AOA
    2-The rank and file opticians are not educated, intellectually curious, not decision makers nor are they business leaders as a whole. Opticians will not spend money for a great cause!
    3-You forgot provides great customer service and makes money on every order.
    4-This is the key to success in everything and that is why most stay as rank and file!

I love the post and agree!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    To All Nay Sayers....

I know Ed Green!
    I Know the Vision Council.

If they are behind it, Without a second thought I am behind it!
    They have a vision of what we can become and if you want to help it happen then participate. Historically what is wrong with Opticianry can be seen in microcosim in this thread.......letting the petty stuff get in the way. Do something positive or stop complaining about the state of this moribund industry. End of sermon.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I understand how frustrating it is to read some of the garbage and meanness that is posted, but you are one of my favorites in the industry and I need you! You are looking out for the best possible interests of many folks-students, facility, consumers, companies of technology and hopefully yourself as well in addition to all of your optical world! This is not easy on such a tiny lady, but you are up to the task and we will go forward.

The future for my stores is brighter than ever and we need folks like you to help keep the training going towards the future. Just pity the ignorant and let them die a slow optical death.

I love the internet for glasses and cannot wait for VSP to have it's entire offering available on-line. The only one's left standing will be properly run opticals in all price arenas and MD's. The time is perfect for the independent to thrive again and prosper as the times change.
    +1
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    "Laurie, please take our voice to this meeting and tell them that we only want professional graduate opticians from colleges to ensure that we actually have a future and that we will not settle for less. No new practical testings or new abo or new anything. We simply want professional graduated opticians as the only means to practice.No moving forward without this.
    CNG"

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let's make it a 4 year program so 19 year olds are not educated enough to think they are ready for the real world. They need at least a 4 year degree and work on a masters program for the future.

This will ensure refracting and the future of opticianry can be combined with technology to provide the best services possible.

I hope they are letting a mouthy luxury retailer or so on the board; I did not see any on the panel?

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As there's only one state that requires any formal ed at all, I think it's a bit of a stretch to go from requiring zero education to a 4 year degree. There's a difference between what is ideal and what is achievable. Having lofty goals is commendable, but to reach them, we must progress in increments.
    We can not allow the perfect to be the enemy of the good.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    As there's only one state that requires any formal ed at all, I think it's a bit of a stretch to go from requiring zero education to a 4 year degree. There's a difference between what is ideal and what is achievable. Having lofty goals is commendable, but to reach them, we must progress in increments.

My goal is get refracting included so we can remain a viable profession in a niche world. The equipment now and any of us could refract with great accuracy and nelp grow the optical qualifications.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My goal is get refracting included so we can remain a viable profession in a niche world. The equipment now and any of us could refract with great accuracy and nelp grow the optical qualifications.
    There is already a 4 year program that teaches refraction. Possibly you're confused about which profession you're in again perhaps?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    There is already a 4 year program that teaches refraction. Possibly you're confused about which profession you're in again perhaps?

I am very clear on what I do and also want to embrace the future to be part of the solution. You seem to enjoy being part of the problem and that is your right, but until you put your money in a business there is no basis for you to offer me any constructive advice! Sarcasm does not count as though it seems to be your form of communication.

Laurie,
    He is picking on me as well and I need help!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    But "good enough" is no longer good enough as well.

B

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    But "good enough" is no longer good enough as well.

B
    And what is good enough? You were discussing New York's lofty requirements. I believe they are:

• Passing of NOCE & NCLE
    • Passing of state practical examinations
    • 2 years registered apprenticeship, or,
    • 2 years formal opticianry education

New Jersey is (to my knowledge) the ONLY state that has any formal ed requirement, and it isn't much:

• Passing of state practical examinations
    • 36 months apprenticeship & 30 credits in Ophthalmic
    science
    from accredited program, or
    • A.A.S. degree in Opthlalmic science & 4 months
    of apprenticeship

and 29 States (Puerto Rico is not a state) do not require anything other than a pulse! I certainly would NOT call that good enough. We NEVER had good enough. So yes, let's try to get there before we say we need 4 year degrees.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree. NY currently is not good enough. But there is so much physiocal skill necessary in dispensing that some sort of apprenticeship/residency should be required.

B

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    I agree. NY currently is not good enough. But there is so much physiocal skill necessary in dispensing that some sort of apprenticeship/residency should be required.

B
    I concur.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Laurie,
    He is picking on me as well and I need help!
    Craig,

You don't need my help, you are pretty awesome on your own! Thank you for your kind words, and for the other opti-friends for chiming in.

My strategy for those who only gripe without adding anything to the conversation is to ignore them. In fact, blocking works too.

: )
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you click on the link provided in the first post in this thread, you will be taken to a website which offers the opportunity to take a survey. You will also be given an opportunity to state in order of priority what you feel the significant improvement should be. I strongly recommend taking this survey if for no other reason but to put the focus on where their attentions are right now. Although the meeting is by invitation, I think all who want to come are welcome. I wish I felt better because I would be there in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by hcjilson; 03-28-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: word change
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    How can it both be invitation only, yet all are welcome? I was led to believe that it was indeed invitation only, because of limited space and the need to keep the discussion group size manageable.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. " Dr. Spock
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    If you click on the link provided in the first post in this thread, you will be taken to a website which offers the opportunity to take a survey. You will also be given an opportunity to state in order of priority what you feel the significant improvement should be. I strongly recommend taking this survey if for no other reason but to put the focus on where their attentions are right now. Although the meeting is by invitation, I think all who want to come are welcome. I wish I felt better because I would be there in a heartbeat.
    Harry,
    I was pleased to see a mention of a survey in your post, and immediately went to it to provide my two cents. Quite frankly, it is a 5-question survey, unscientifically designed, that will provide very little positive information or guidance. I am very disappointed, and now fear this may just be another one of those meetings where only folks who don't make waves are invited. Much like the "White Paper", which was clearly not well done and provided almost no direction for the field that was not already known, I fear these folks undoubtedly will come up with some of the same old, same old.

They need to invite folks like some here (Ulillean and Fezz, for example) who can provide opinions that may be different than some others. They have not invited me, the author of the single largest study of Opticians and the future ever written, and they have clearly not invited anyone on the "core committee" that might be the least bit controversial. I was initially excited, but it appears this will just be more of the same. I have not been invited, and will not attend, but do offer a copy of my study if they wish to review the data. I hope I am wrong, but I fear someone has an agenda.

Unfortunately, Opticians have this issue of control. A meeting like this that could be a true milestone for the field, should bring together disparate views and let them attempt to come to some consensus. It appears that is not happening. SAO has been invited, and I hope Wes, or somebody like him, with a solid education can present the views of this new group. They were formed to recognize folks with an education, which I feel is one of the two major things we must face. The other is a similar background across the country that all must achieve to use the title, Optician. The only way real change can be affected is through really hearing all sides, and I mean all sides, not just those who will be quiet and accept the mandates from above. Now, one real positive thing can come of this, and that is Optometry being at the table, but we must not let it be their bully pulpit to dictate directions for us. We must set our own direction, and then follow the path. I wish we could arrange to have Ophthalmology there as well. My study several years ago included opinions from leaders in those communities, and both will have an effect on our future direction.

I hope my fears are baseless. I can only pray that they do come to some consensus that will provide direction for this very poorly developed "profession". Someone has to get us back on track.

Warren
    Last edited by wmcdonald; 03-28-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, My feeling is this was not meant to be a scientific study but rather a focus point to show where this meeting could travel. I am sure your lack of invitation was an oversight. I think it is critical that this meeting occur because these people get things done. If you examine their site you will see it laid out. No more meetings till the next meeting....its meeting....follow up........follow up to that Meeting. Things can be accomplished using that formula and I can prove it with one very important organization which is for now unnamed. Thats how it was put together and they make things happen. I can't tell you how excited I am about this.
    Harry
    Lord Byron

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,
    I appreciate your excitement, and I can unequivocably tell you that if you are OK, then so am I. I will be supportive in every way, and wish them the very best.

Warren

Thread Information