Thread: Opticianry Summit?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Opticianry Summit?

http://theopticalvisionsite.com/educ...-for-may-2012/

http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/opti....cfm?navID=850

Thoughts, ideas, opinions?

Is the Society to Advance Opticianry involved?

Who are the players? Is it the same old, same old, Old Boys Club?

It isn't April 1st! Is this a joke?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the American Board of Opticianry is involved......I'm not interested!

If the Opticians Assoc. of America is involved......I'm not interested!

If the Good Old Boys Club members are involved......I'm not interested!

Are any of you interested?

Why?

Why not?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to read through everything....but I think it's worth a look. I believe we're at a crossroads, not sure where the road will lead, but I'm gonna look at the map carefully.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Invitation only. Mission is to "Shake it up" Wasn't invited, but will send a short outline/wish list for optician training. No need to repeat my feelings here.

Keeping fingers crossed.

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is the National Academy of Opticianry involved?

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm not sure how Minnesota is going to represented since we have no state association......I guess our reps maybe???????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I hope that everyone will give this an opportunity. I have not been invited, which is strange seeing that I have been the most fervent change agent to actually study what Opticians actually want to see happen, but it is not about me. It is about the future for Opticians to come. Please pray for this somewhat secretive group, and hope that they can at least develop some kind of basic minimum standards. Until all Opticians across the nation have at least similar backgrounds, we are dead in the water. I am told that the Vision Council and ABO are coordinating/funding this meeting, and I wish them the very best. I also hope that other professional groups are at the table, which I understand is the case.

To all my friends on this board, please be open minded and lets see what happens.
    Warren

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi Fezz(y),

Yes, the SAO has been invited, we are having a conference call to talk about sending a representative. I am unable to attend as it is our final exam week, which I cannot miss.

As Warren stated, lets be open minded. Many good people are attending from all of the national orgs as well as state society leaders. I met with Ed D and Frank G from VCPN during VEE, and they are whole-heartedly supportive of a positive movement forward, and support the mission and goals of the Society to Advance Opticianry.

It is important to get all of the leaders in one room. The National ABO conference is a great venue to network, however, as all of the orgs had their own meetings, it was hard to get everyone in the same room at the same time. Our program manager, Bill Underwood will be one of the NFOS representatives, and I have good vibes about the outcome.

I will be happy to report any news that comes my way. Let's all send them our very best wishes and good vibes!

: )

Laurie
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My invite must have gotten lost in the mail!

:poop::poop::poop:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A veritable potpourri of the very institutions who have lowered opticianry's status quo nationwide. An open mind would be far easier were it not these very same that caused much of the problem in the first place. And for those of us who don't "pray" (which I certainly won't be here): "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid!" ;)

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Make up your own mind if they qualify for an optical summit..........................

The vision council is an association of optical manufacturers and suppliers and use the profits of the VEE and VEW for common advertising towards the consumers. That is the original intention.

Here is some some history from their website:

History

The Vision Council has evolved greatly over the years, expanding and improving its services to help grow the optical industry.

1940s
    The Optical Industry Association (OMA), was formed to help to promote a business environment to stimulate growth and influence the eye care industry. Comprised of manufacturers of ophthalmic frames, lenses, cases and optical machinery, OMA sought to create opportunities to grow the industry and provided forums, technical standards, statistical information, advocacy services, education, communication products and management support services. OMA members benefited from many types of reports and statistical information.

This article, written in 1980, provides more background about the OMA.

Members of the OMA set up the Vision Industry Council of America (VICA) to grow the ophthalmic market for the entire industry, including suppliers, manufacturers, practitioners and optical laboratories. The International Vision Expo shows were created as a centerpiece to showcase products and bring suppliers and their customers together.

In 1985, VICA took over the Better Vision Institute (BVI). The BVI was founded in 1929 and had a reputation as an advocate of vision care. The BVI brings together representatives from the fields of ophthalmology, opticianry and optometry and advised VICA in developing programs and materials, ensuring that the vision messages were accurate.

Read more --------------------------> http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/cont....cfm?navID=279

The Optical Vision Site and Optical Vision Resources advertising space is limited and in demand and a lot of it has already sold but we still have excellent opportunities available for the calendar year 2012:

Please contact theopticalvision.site@gmail.com for current pricing and further information. We are always open to suggestions to help improve our advertising opportunities. You can also advertise on our sister site and directory www.opticalvisionresources.com. Links are also available.

See more----------------------------> http://theopticalvisionsite.com/

Make up your own mind if they qualify for an optical summit............................................They are both driven by commercial interest's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    A veritable potpourri of the very institutions who have lowered opticianry's status quo nationwide. An open mind would be far easier were it not these very same that caused much of the problem in the first place.
    +1000000000!!!

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sigh....

We will be successful with or without positive opinions/vibes from the gallery. Fezz, while I think you are nice guy and a great optician, you think it is BS because YOU were not personally invited? Really?

Every time I am tempted to post here, negative mud-slinging reminds me why I refrain.

Wishing you all the best in your endeavors. As for myself, I will remain positive and work hard and volunteer on Opticianry's behalf. What are you doing?

Laurie

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    ...I will remain positive and work hard and volunteer on Opticianry's behalf. What are you doing?

Laurie
    Remaining realistic.

Sigh indeed.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Maybe you guys can wait to see what happens and poo poo it later if it's a bust? I'm really tired of the "prophets of doom" like Harold Camping, Uilleann, and the bum down the street with the "Repent!" sign that keep trying to ruin my day.
    How would you spin it if something positive came out of this? "Opticianry Summit threatens underprivileged opticians!"???
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    A veritable potpourri of the very institutions who have lowered opticianry's status quo nationwide. An open mind would be far easier were it not these very same that caused much of the problem in the first place. And for those of us who don't "pray" (which I certainly won't be here): "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid!" ;)
    Now I'm not religious either, but you're quoting a guy who couldn't have been more wrong.

Studies show that proper use of analogy in standardized testing correlates with higher intellect.
    Last edited by Wes; 03-27-2012 at 08:40 PM.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Its always interesting to see how this meeting plays out and how will it benefit opticians...I for one believe that we must defunct all the organizations that have failed us into a new one which is more representative of the licensed states, academia and the non licensed states. A new testing system is coming down the pipes in which external players have made an entrance into the opticianry turf and its raising concerns.

Laurie, please take our voice to this meeting and tell them that we only want professional graduate opticians from colleges to ensure that we actually have a future and that we will not settle for less. No new practical testings or new abo or new anything. We simply want professional graduated opticians as the only means to practice.No moving forward without this.
    CNG

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Those that have taken their time, sweat and money to help their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the right.

Those that have contributed zero time to their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the left.

Now, all those on the left side, shut up! What have you done to help opticianry? Don't like what's going on, on a local, state or national level? Why don't you do something about it like run for an office or position to change things? It's kinda like voting in elections...If you don't vote, you don't have a right to b*tch about the outcome! If you don't like something, what are you gonna do about it...Just sit and b*tch?

Now I'm not crazy about a lot of things nor organizations in opticianry, but I have no right to gripe unless I'm willing to stand up and do something about it. What are you gonna do?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Those that have taken their time, sweat and money to help their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the right.

Those that have contributed zero time to their local, state or national fellow opticians stand to the left.

Now, all those on the left side, shut up! What have you done to help opticianry? Don't like what's going on, on a local, state or national level? Why don't you do something about it like run for an office or position to change things? It's kinda like voting in elections...If you don't vote, you don't have a right to b*tch about the outcome! If you don't like something, what are you gonna do about it...Just sit and b*tch?

Now I'm not crazy about a lot of things nor organizations in opticianry, but I have no right to gripe unless I'm willing to stand up and do something about it. What are you gonna do?
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by CNG View Post
    Its always interesting to see how this meeting plays out and how will it benefit opticians...I for one believe that we must defunct all the organizations that have failed us into a new one which is more representative of the licensed states, academia and the non licensed states. A new testing system is coming down the pipes in which external players have made an entrance into the opticianry turf and its raising concerns.

Laurie, please take our voice to this meeting and tell them that we only want professional graduate opticians from colleges to ensure that we actually have a future and that we will not settle for less. No new practical testings or new abo or new anything. We simply want professional graduated opticians as the only means to practice.No moving forward without this.
    CNG
    It's a bit of wishful thinking to assume any bureaucracy will vote to dissolve itself. The organizations will not be going away. The key is finding ways for us to all work together to make what we want a reality. Organizations can change voluntarily, but they don't disband voluntarily.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I would like to see a representative from the AOA and from Luxottica invited otherwise it's just really a sham. Since the two organizations I have pointed out have done more to our profession then any of the ones that supposedly represent it, I think any plan should be run by or OK through them.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand Optometry and the corporate organizations will be represented.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    I understand Optometry and the corporate organizations will be represented.
    Then the possibility of change may exists, I will wait anxiously.

Occupation
    Now this is something that every Optician on this board should be behind. The success of this endeavour can only be a positive for Profesional Opticians.

I would love to hear POSITIVE suggestions from the board.

Naysayers, please keep it to yourselves.

Everyone, please keep in mind that changes like these are evolutionary, and occur slowly over time. Nothing major will happen overnight, but it will happen, with or without our input. This is our opportunity to guide that process in a positive way.

http://www.thevisioncouncil.org/opticianrysummit/

"Summit Purpose:

To create a shared vision for opticianry, a practical strategic plan and commitment to action
    Today's optical industry is on the verge of major changes in healthcare and technology. Future healthcare reform may impact the role of the optician. Exciting new and future instrumentation, lens, and frame technologies will also require opticians to be not only technically savvy, but fashion and sales conscious as well. Since opticians play a major role in helping people look and see their best, it is time to plan for the next decade and create a strategic plan to ensure competent opticians and firmly establish the profession as eyewear and eye care experts and consultants.
    Currently, each opticianry organization works to improve the quality of opticians from its own mission and perspective. Sometimes this results in organizations working in different directions and occasionally at cross purposes. When organizations of an industry and their members are not aligned toward a common goal, it can waste time, effort, resources, cause frustration and result in a lack of progress. It doesn't feel good and there is a cost.
    In order to truly move the profession of opticianry forward, we need alignment and getting everyone "travelling" in the same direction. This means understanding and meeting the needs of each segment of the industry: associations, societies, retailers and educators alike.
    It means being involved in finding common ground and working from there to establish a vision and strategic plan that will benefit professionals and consumers alike. It requires cooperation, coordination and alignment.

Summit Goals:

The Summit is being designed to enable participants to produce:
    1. A shared vision of what opticianry should be by 2020 that includes
      1. A vision of the optician of the future and the competencies that person will need
      2. A vision for an educational curriculum that prepares today's optician for the demands of tomorrow in order to provide better service to the public
    2. A strategic plan containing
      1. Strategic goals and objectives
      2. Implementation steps that are practical and realistic, and with implementation commitments from participants at the Summit
    3. A plan for obtaining the commitment of key stakeholders
    4. A process to monitor progress and make needed adjustments
    5. A commitment to continued planning and progress in the years to come

Suggested Reading & Resources

Downloadable Reading

The State of Opticianry White Paper
    Eyewear Sales Trends - 2011
    Safety and Compliance of Prescription Spectacles Ordered by the Public via the Internet - 2011
    OAA Internet Retailing Survey - 2011
    Get Ready for Online Refraction: The Fourth O

Resources from Around the Web

Opticians Association of America - Current State Licensing Requirements

Relevant Data Highlights

Licensing Data
    • There are 30,000 ABO cetificants and 10,000 NCLE certificants
    • In 2011 ABO tested 4,800 individuals and NCLE tested 1,700
    General Population Data
    • 151.4 million U.S. adults currently use Rx Eyeglasses
    • 27.2 million U.S. adults currently use OTC Readers
    • 203.3 million U.S adults currently use Plano Sunglasses
    • 37.6 million U.S. adults currently use Contact Lenses
    • 26.2 million U.S. adults currently use Rx Sunglasses
    *Statistics provided by The Vision Council's VisionWatch Report on Vision Correction Usage (December 2011)
    Future Demand for Eye Care
    • 19.6% of consumers ages 18+ surveyed said they were planning on having an eye exam in the next 3 months. As a comparison, in December of 2010, 18.9% of consumers said they planned on having an eye exam in the next 3 months; so the number is rising.
    *Statistics provided by The Vision Council's Consumer Barometer Report (December 2011)"

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Make up your own mind if they qualify for an optical summit............................................They are both driven by commercial interest's.
    Chris: I'm not sure what you mean by this. If opticians don't offer commercial value, just what value do you believe they will command?

B

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    I would like to see a representative from the AOA and from Luxottica invited otherwise it's just really a sham. Since the two organizations I have pointed out have done more to our profession then any of the ones that supposedly represent it...
    No truer words were ever spoken.

Thread Information