Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sick customers.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by B101875 View Post
    Were they able to get Workman Comp?
    Not sure in that particular case, but if you are on sick leave, you get 80% of your wage + whatever comp your union might offer through an insurance. Hospital care is nominal (already paid for through taxes).

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a I & R scheduled and the Dad stopped by and said they would be right back after they had seen the Dr for possible pink eye! What was he thinking?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

sick

Quote Originally Posted by kemmer59 View Post
    I had a I & R scheduled and the Dad stopped by and said they would be right back after they had seen the Dr for possible pink eye! What was he thinking?
    i once had two ladies come in, one was holding a towel over her face, i asked the other lady if she was ok, she responded, oh she has tuberculosis and doesnt want to spread it

In georgia where chewing tobacco and snuff is the norm for a lot of the good ole boys, i had one of them spit a wad of chewing tobacco onto my shirt as i was adjusting the eyeglasses

i have been coughed and sneezed on more times then i can count or care to remember

i once had a pair of broken glasses brought in to repair that were loaded with cole slaw, from a food fight

and believe me after 47 years theres a lot more

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a little girl and her mother come into an office I worked at, tried on a ton on frames before her exam. She was wearing a baseball hat the whole time, and when the dr asked her to take it off for the exam, her mom said she couldn't because she had head lice.

Needless to say, there was no exam done that day, and I got to sterilize a lot of frames.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh,My! Yeah, the head lice would have made me postal!!!!!!
    "Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde"

Occupation
    Optical Retail

against the concrete wall thinking U win

always win~
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    My all time favorite gross patient moment is....drum roll please.....

One of my favorite little old men came in for his millionth rx change, and as he was putting his frame back on, pieces of skin behind his ear started falling off onto his shoulder. Bigger than dandruff, smaller than his ear. And like the trained professional that I am, I waited to puke until after he left.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Same goes for coworkers who come in sick. Go the heck home.

We have such a small staff, and most of us overlap our duties, when one of us is gone it's hectic! But we work in a dang shoe box, when one gets sick, WE ALL get sick. After years of this you would think our boss would figure it out, but he still gets p/o'd anytime someone calls in.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by kmarshall View Post
    We have such a small staff, and most of us overlap our duties, when one of us is gone it's hectic! But we work in a dang shoe box, when one gets sick, WE ALL get sick. After years of this you would think our boss would figure it out, but he still gets p/o'd anytime someone calls in.
    I have been in offices like that. and I bet the Dr doesn't pay for health ins. and only gives you a hand full of days off a year. But he sure is happy when you make him that Mill a year and he sits back when he is sick. I worked for a Dr like that once.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    He does have health ins. I'll give to him that he does come in when he is sick, but since he has his own office it's not a threat for most of us to get sick. Also, he's not a Dr. so he does not have to see patients. Needless to say, even if he does come in, I feel like it's easier on him than it is for us in the lab, but at least he shows up.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I were a patient, and I could tell that my doctor was sick but came in to examine me anyway, I would be furious.

Come on! Aren't we in the health care profession?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My all time favorite gross patient moment is....drum roll please.....

One of my favorite little old men came in for his millionth rx change, and as he was putting his frame back on, pieces of skin behind his ear started falling off onto his shoulder. Bigger than dandruff, smaller than his ear. And like the trained professional that I am, I waited to puke until after he left.
    you win!!
    :) jeanne

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post
    If I were a patient, and I could tell that my doctor was sick but came in to examine me anyway, I would be furious.

Ditto. Common sense people.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ya, but it seems like the Dr's never get sick themselfs. It's like they go home and live in a Sick-Free Zone or Something. Maybe that's why they get mad when we get sick.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurie View Post

That is debatable!

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had a patient the other day picking up new glasses and kept pushing his old glasses towards me. He finally told me he needed me to clean off the stuff from the dentist appointment he was just at. I said, what stuff? And he said, the stuff that splashes on them while you get your teeth cleaned. I almost passed out. I'm pretty sure the stuff that comes out of your mouth is a biohazard, which would explain why dentist wear gloves and masks. I did decide to put up a small glasses cleaning self serve setup with cleaner and kimwipes for people who are sick. Germs these days are no joke to me.
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    I wouldn't worry too much about stuff stuck to glasses. The chances of it being infectious is very small. Just wear gloves.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes I know the thread is old-

Smallworld- You're in the wrong profession. We're touching people all the time. Take the glasses rinse and clean then return them and wash your hands!

As an aside- Only recently have we learned how important the human micribiome is and how important it is to not live in a sterile environment.

Recently, I heard on PBR* a report that the disproportional increase in autism, juvenile diabetes, asthma etc. from C-section babies may be attributable to the lack of exposure to the mothers bacteria in the birth canal. Makes sense to me. Preliminary tests show swabbing the baby with these secretions right after birth may help them build a much more robust microbiome.

You must be young small world as those of us who went to the dentist before HIV joined our lexicon will remember them not even using gloves!!!

*The story-

http://www.wbur.org/npr/464905786/re...ter-c-sections
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 02-11-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Actually, the swabbing study that you're talking about was extremely deficient in design and implementation. Extrapolating anything from it is just about impossible.

Also, there has never been any link, even a tenuous one of absolutely any value, shown between c-section and autism.

looking up the answers smallworld's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=Uncle Fester;520137]Yes I know the thread is old-

Smallworld- You're in the wrong profession. We're touching people all the time. Take the glasses rinse and clean then return them and wash your hands!

You must be young small world as those of us who went to the dentist before HIV joined our lexicon will remember them not even using gloves!!!

Yes, I'm younger than some of you old guys, but I've been in optical 25 years and I'm pretty sure this is the right job for me. And I disagree that back in the old days people didn't spread germs. Look up Black Plaque. If you worked in a medical setting as I have throughout my career you would be aware that some of the bacteria these days doesn't die with a good old hand wash and a bit of antibiotic hand sanitizer. In hospitals and nursing homes this can cause epidemic illness. I don't think anyone is taking illness or germs lightly anymore.

I also have a child with autism who was born the good old fashion way and got all of my germs:)
    What is reality but a concept unique to each of us? Can anything be classed as real when our perceptions differ greatly on so many things? Just because we see something a particular way does not make it so.

Thread Information