Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: PD responsibilities

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

PD responsibilities

Please forgive me if this is not the right forum for my questions,

Who is responsible for obtaining a PD.

We are tell our customers it's the Dispensing OPticians responsibility to provide the PD, Not the Dr. because it is not part of the exam.

We have a numerious Customers whom just get their Prescriptions and then use them to order online. Which brings me back to my question, Who is responsible

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Soon, all Rxs will have a PD mandated.

B

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Whoever wants to put themselves in that position. Not me.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We tell them the person who sells them their glasses is responsible.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Soon, all Rxs will have a PD mandated.

B
    Maybe, maybe not, depends on whether the ODs and OMDs can convince the legislatures of the truth or not. That being, that pd is nowhere near enough to make glasses. PD. Mono PD. OC height. Then take into account actual fitting measurements due to crooked noses, and uneven eyes. A PD represented as only one number is a recipe for disaster in many cases. Who to believe? The entire body of Doctors, or the internet eyewear provider? Probably whoever pays the legislators in question the most money. That's how laws get made folks!
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wes:
    What you describe is only necessary for excellent eyewear.
    PDs alone are sufficient for adequate eyewear.
    B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

PDs of years past

People:
    It was only *after* the introduction of progessives that mono PDs became the norm. Is it really so awful that online eyewear might only rise to a standard in optical fitting that was taken as gold only 30+ years ago?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If ever there was a time for all three "O's" to work together, this is it.

I tried to start the conversation in VA and was met with massive indifference, even though both the Opticians Assoc of VA and the VA Optometric Assoc were meeting within a few miles of each other last fall. Sad, really.

Occupation
    Wes:
    What you describe is only necessary for excellent eyewear.
    PDs alone are sufficient for adequate eyewear.
    B
    Symmetry equals beauty. http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...-symmetry.html
    Googling those words lead to a plethora of articles.
    Most of the patients I see are not beautiful, nor are they symmetrical. Very often, I see variances of 2-3 mm in horizontal pd measurements, and further variances due to broken/misaligned noses, and vertical differences in the 1-2 mm range. These variances in higher powers and especially in progressives, lead to glasses being made with binocular measurements (and with zero oc ht measurements) that are not adequate in most ECP's opinions.
    How's this for a sales promotion? Firmoo: Only the exquisitely beautiful can successfully wear our glasses!

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We need to get rid of control issues

The O's fight, for the most part, over the Rx and control.
    Let the damn Rx be free!
    If all the O's loosen their death grip on control, maybe...just maybe...we'll finally see the path allowing us to reconcile this and the related issues.
    B

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    go to my profile page...I'm giving out FREE pd's!
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nawsman View Post
    Please forgive me if this is not the right forum for my questions,

Who is responsible for obtaining a PD.

We are tell our customers it's the Dispensing OPticians responsibility to provide the PD, Not the Dr. because it is not part of the exam.

We have a numerious Customers whom just get their Prescriptions and then use them to order online. Which brings me back to my question, Who is responsible
    If you have numerous patients going to the net, you're hemorrhaging patients to other B&M's. The net is just another low cost outlet. You need to look at your products, service and pricing and figure out why they are not purchasing from you.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    If you have numerous patients going to the net, you're hemorrhaging patients to other B&M's. The net is just another low cost outlet. You need to look at your products, service and pricing and figure out why they are not purchasing from you.
    Finally, the truth is told! We have had 3 requests for PD's in the past few years and we will sell the information for $40.00 or they can get the info somewhere else.
    My stores just asked 3 patients to not come back to us as they only get eye exams and never buy glasses from us; they just like our exams but not our glasses, so we told then they had to schedule exams in the off season as we are too limited in our dr. days and need to save them for buying customers. After 5 years of no buying and sucking the optical life out of us to verify the glasses he buys elsewhere is not going to work.
    They will go elsewhere and we will all be fine.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    We tell them the person who sells them their glasses is responsible.
    TOTALLY AGREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Maybe, maybe not, depends on whether the ODs and OMDs can convince the legislatures of the truth or not. That being, that pd is nowhere near enough to make glasses. PD. Mono PD. OC height. Then take into account actual fitting measurements due to crooked noses, and uneven eyes. A PD represented as only one number is a recipe for disaster in many cases. Who to believe? The entire body of Doctors, or the internet eyewear provider? Probably whoever pays the legislators in question the most money. That's how laws get made folks!
    ABSOLUTELY! We take over 10 measurements to build a pair of glasses, pd is only one of them! The opticians job is to get an accurate PD, not the docs

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Finally, the truth is told! We have had 3 requests for PD's in the past few years and we will sell the information for $40.00 or they can get the info somewhere else.
    My stores just asked 3 patients to not come back to us as they only get eye exams and never buy glasses from us; they just like our exams but not our glasses, so we told then they had to schedule exams in the off season as we are too limited in our dr. days and need to save them for buying customers. After 5 years of no buying and sucking the optical life out of us to verify the glasses he buys elsewhere is not going to work.
    They will go elsewhere and we will all be fine.
    Bravo! My hero!

The O's fight, for the most part, over the Rx and control.
    Let the damn Rx be free!
    If all the O's loosen their death grip on control, maybe...just maybe...we'll finally see the path allowing us to reconcile this and the related issues.
    B
    Who is this O, Barry? Please stop the blanket accusations and name names. Its upsetting to get categorized into this web of misinformation. BTW - can't you just take the darn PD? Why do you want the O to do it for you?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    go to my profile page...I'm giving out FREE pd's!
    I'd like to stock some of the 62's, and a few 30/29's please.
    Last edited by finefocus; 03-13-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: They're FREE!!

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It doesn't make sense to me to legally require a PD on an Rx...Most doctors do not measure PD's prior to the refraction part of the exam, they simply dial the opening until they can see the patients eyes in the middle.

And, opticians do not measure PD's until we sit down at the dispensing table to do the final selection of frames and take the appropriate measurements.

How would such a law be enforced? Force the docs to take PD's (will they keep a pupilometer in the room)? And, the patient does not see the optician until they purchase eyewear, so the optician would essentially be out of the equation, as we do not 'write prescriptions'.

It seems reasonable to me that who ever is making the eyewear sale is responsible for measuring the PD. If the patient wants to be a 'do-it-yourself-er' then so be it. I would not be inclined to do it for them, no matter how much bullying occurs via these conversations and online petitions.

Craig, you've got the right idea. Your business model gives me fond memories of the old Lugene Optician days. Excellence in optics is a blast, and it does not always have to mean extra-expensive...it is a mindset.

: )

Laurie
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had someone call the other day for their pd, after I gave it to them she asked if 1.50 lens was good enough for her prescription, and whether or not I recommend anti glare coating......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by regional_manager View Post
    I had someone call the other day for their pd, after I gave it to them she asked if 1.50 lens was good enough for her prescription, and whether or not I recommend anti glare coating......
    And you told her??????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by regional_manager View Post
    Regional Manager are you mental?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Regional Manager are you mental?
    A, Yeah!!! We all are, mental that is. I mean we are all in optical related fields right?!?!?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Plausible View Post
    A, Yeah!!! We all are, mental that is. I mean we are all in optical related fields right?!?!?
    Not me,

I'm glad I'm a helicopter...

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Our prices are competitive for this area, but most of our patients are on state assistance which will not pay for Frames and lenses. We offer a discount but still they think its to much...they still think they should get everything for free.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nawsman View Post
    Our prices are competitive for this area, but most of our patients are on state assistance which will not pay for Frames and lenses. We offer a discount but still they think its to much...they still think they should get everything for free.
    There's the problem. Low cost eyewear is a saturated market with giant players that make it tough to compete against. I know it's not your call, but I'd relocate if most of my base was on assistance.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Are PD's becoming nothing more than a pants size for the eyes???
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RIMLESS View Post
    Are PD's becoming nothing more than a pants size for the eyes???
    I look at it as more like the IQ of those buying eyewear online!

Thread Information