Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: PD responsibilities

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    B&M eyewear, with branded designer frame=$600.
    Frames Direct for same=$300.00
    Difference=$300.00
    Useful/average life of primary pair:2-2.7 yrs,
    1/2 Difference averaged over 1 year:$12.50 per month, or approx $3.00 per week.
    ECP service epack, i.e., adjustments, repairs, plus parts $1.50/wk
    Not too much difference now, eh at about $6/mo?
    Im not disputing this....IN an affluent area,as long as the customer likes and trusts you ,the price difference wont be a problem....IN other less affluent areas,a lot of people will walk....

I find most people are insurance driven and dont want to spend more than they absolutely have to on vision care....It's about number 129 out of 130 in terms of priorities....

I see people daily who have computer related eyestrain ,who wont get a second pair of eyeglasses for computer work.....Because it costs money......OR who wont have regular eye health assessments,even though there is a strong family history of eye disease....because it costs money...

Had one a couple days ago who said it will only be another 3 years ,of 7 hrs computer work/day ,until he retires...So ,he will manage w/o the appropriate rx....

I should have gone into the tatoo or tanning business....People have no problem paying for these priorities...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by 4554lake View Post
    I should have gone into the tatoo or tanning business....People have no problem paying for these priorities...
    Or cell phones

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awful lot of discussion about why one should be able to put off a 30 second effort or The Terrible responsiblity and liablity of such a mundane task. Hell, it's one even doctor's can do.

Chip

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Im not disputing this....IN an affluent area,as long as the customer likes and trusts you ,the price difference wont be a problem....IN other less affluent areas,a lot of people will walk....
    I'll second that, in fact I'll third and forth it too.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Okay, you've given that patient his free PD. When he comes back for the initial fit and wants it done for free, do you do it? When he can't see as well as he thinks he should, do you troubleshoot it for free? Do you give him nose pads for free? When he comes back for routine adjustments, do you do them for free? When he breaks one of the $6.95 metal frames do you solder it for free?

You can make a case for doing all that for free in hopes that he will think you are the greatest optician ever and he will be willing to pay your premium prices henceforth for all your knowledge and the wondrous services you offer.

Or you can make a case for charging a one time fee for these services. If he doesn't want to pay it, he can go down the road to the next optician or do it himself.

Or you can make a case for unbundling and charging a fee for your services.

That's the discussion we need to have. Because online eyewear ain't going away.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Fee for service. A la carte is my preference. Cash pay too. Grandfather first time in as a complimentary service, but point out fee schedule printed/laminated on back of reading card.

B

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post

You can make a case for doing all that for free in hopes that he will think you are the greatest optician ever and he will be willing to pay your premium prices henceforth for all your knowledge and the wondrous services you offer.

I could never understand this line of thought....

Why would someone pay a higher price for glasses from you, so that you can be paid for your time and expertise, if you will do all of the after sales service for free, for less expensive eyewear obtained elsewhere?

That's like me doing contact lens follow ups for free ,for cls obtained elsewhere.....That wont happen in this life time....

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Fee for service. A la carte is my preference. Cash pay too. Grandfather first time in as a complimentary service, but point out fee schedule printed/laminated on back of reading card.

B
    This is a good way to make sure they wont come back a second time,when other opticians will do it for free....lol

One of the big reasons on liners have done so well,is because most opticians will do after sales service for free....This takes away most of the risk for the online purchase...

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Nicolay, you're kind of a dope.

I'm not a "xenophobe" about "foriegn goods". I think that certain economic players in the global economy have an "unfair advantage".

And you're right about another thing you pointed out: buying off the lawmakers. We call it "crony capitalism" here in the U.S.
    Last edited by drk; 03-19-2012 at 06:16 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I think the endgame is this:
    1. Buying stuff on the internet is clearly never going to stop. It's a new global marketplace, with virtually no rules.
    2. Most of these online entities will fold in five to ten years. Most are operating on thin or no margins or worse.
    3. You will always be able to buy non-regulated non-U.S. goods online. Glasses, CLs, medicine, whatever.
    4. Somehow, sometime when everyone gets their heads out of their @$$es, the discussion will turn to U.S. online retailers flouting regulations. There will be money in that.
    5. People will probably continue to sell frames online. It offers frames to the consumer without the sales costs, overhead expense, and inventory carrying costs that "Bricks and Mortar" stores incur. The experience will be different, of course.
    6. We will probably fit quite a few lenses to "patient supplied frames". If it's a good frame, we'll use it.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Judy Canty has an article in ECPMag about un-bundling. It's worth a read.

http://www.ecpmag.com/1webmagazine/2012/03mar/content/dispensing_opt/case-for-un-bundling.asp
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Optometrist
    What if every time a patient was to ask for a PD you simply vaporized them with a Laser. Problem solved.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I could never understand this line of thought....

Why would someone pay a higher price for glasses from you, so that you can be paid for your time and expertise, if you will do all of the after sales service for free, for less expensive eyewear obtained elsewhere?

That's like me doing contact lens follow ups for free ,for cls obtained elsewhere.....That wont happen in this life time....
    Not sure if this is appropriate to post here but I wanted to post this;

I met a fellow at a New Years party this year. He said that he was going to try an "experiment" that since he was never satisfied with his progressives that he purchased from his optometrist he was going to buy a pair online this time. He purchased them from the Z site. I asked him how he got the measurements correct and he told me that his OD gave him his mono PD measurements (idiot). Then I asked him how he would know what height to put the progression and he said that he would just choose a frame that is close to what he was already wearing. Anyway I told him that he was wasting his money and that he wouldn't be getting free-form technology which is what he wanted as he was complaining about peripheral distortion. Well he was in today and ordered new free form lenses to his own frame. He couldn't read out of the online glasses. Besides fitting too low on him the PD was OD-30 OS-30 instead of OD-34 OS-34. So he gave them the proper PD on a silver platter and they weren't even close. He said that he hated being proved wrong.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Not sure if this is appropriate to post here but I wanted to post this;

I met a fellow at a New Years party this year. He said that he was going to try an "experiment" that since he was never satisfied with his progressives that he purchased from his optometrist he was going to buy a pair online this time. He purchased them from the Z site. I asked him how he got the measurements correct and he told me that his OD gave him his mono PD measurements (idiot). Then I asked him how he would know what height to put the progression and he said that he would just choose a frame that is close to what he was already wearing. Anyway I told him that he was wasting his money and that he wouldn't be getting free-form technology which is what he wanted as he was complaining about peripheral distortion. Well he was in today and ordered new free form lenses to his own frame. He couldn't read out of the online glasses. Besides fitting too low on him the PD was OD-30 OS-30 instead of OD-34 OS-34. So he gave them the proper PD on a silver platter and they weren't even close. He said that he hated being proved wrong.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Good for you!....IF you were like some of the posters,you would have corrected the measurements and frame adjustment for free,and then let him re order them online.....

This way he would be happy...save money....and think you are a great guy!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    removing post , Canadian solutions only allowed on Canadian page
    Last edited by idispense; 03-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Interesting...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Some states regulate/prohibit

Others don't. In a global economy, i really cant see how states will be able to sustain limiting access within their borders
    B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    removing post, Canadian retreating to Canadian page
    Last edited by idispense; 03-21-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good for you!....IF you were like some of the posters,you would have corrected the measurements and frame adjustment for free,and then let him re order them online.....

This way he would be happy...save money....and think you are a great guy!
    Yes I know how they are. Posters have taken me to task for charging for adjustments when the glasses were not purchased from me originally. I charge them $5-$10 and generate a receipt and advise the "customer" to keep the receipt and bring it in and I will deduct the cost from their next eyewear purchase. I have not gotten one redemption! So these are the people that will never buy from you no matter what you do and if you let them get away with it, only want free service from you. At least I am putting a value on my service and getting paid for it.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

P.S. I think I'm a great guy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    removing post , Canadian retreating to Canadian page
    Last edited by idispense; 03-21-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    removing post , Canadian retreating to Canadian page
    Last edited by idispense; 03-21-2012 at 08:03 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    retreating to Canadian page
    Last edited by idispense; 03-21-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    For most of the Americans out there you might want to give some thoughts as to how Canada, a country 1/10th your size managed to get all provinces licensed and then produced national unified exams and produced Optician videos and national branding . You guys and gals should have more unification than us but you are still bickering over the wrong things and remain totally uncommitted and not unified . Have you considered that you are not focused on the real problems ? PD 's are not the real problem .

It would stand to reason that the smaller the country the easier it would be to be more unified in licensing so to say that we are 1/10 the size and we managed to get it done is a misnomer.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not to mention that we were not raised to believe in homage to the Crown, we are a bunch of revolutionary dissidents.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    For most of the Americans out there you might want to give some thoughts as to how Canada, a country 1/10th your size managed to get all provinces licensed and then produced national unified exams and produced Optician videos and national branding . You guys and gals should have more unification than us but you are still bickering over the wrong things and remain totally uncommitted and not unified . Have you considered that you are not focused on the real problems ? PD 's are not the real problem .
    As Golfnorth says, The smaller the group, the easier it is to reach a consensus.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Thread Information