Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: PD responsibilities

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I love you Doc, but PLEASE do not quit your day job!

:poop::poop:
    Hey I liked it!
    Hmmm. Wait. I like corny things. Yep, all the more reason to keep your day job.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Bra-vo.

Listen to Austin, who gets it.
    But...CL specs are used to "build" CLs, and we allow consumers the freedom in fulfillment here. Why not eyewear?

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Smart-phone refract, Jack
    Choose the RayBan, Stan
    Onliners employ, Roy
    Listen to me.

Add some more plus, Gus
    You don't need an Rx much
    Demand your p.d., Lee.
    They'll take it for free.
    I LUV it!

B

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    You KNOW that a basic PD will generally result in garbage glasses.

An eyewear rx is in no way similar to a CL rx because in the eyewear rx, the frame size, shape, dimensions, vertex, panto, wrap, and wear habits are not taken into account.

There is FAR too much left off an eye exam to make a good pair, because the frame is unknown in the RX process. There is NO way to prescribe GLASSES from the chair. I know you know this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    But...CL specs are used to "build" CLs, and we allow consumers the freedom in fulfillment here. Why not eyewear?

B
    As already stated in the thread a PD measurement by itself is nearly meaningless. The Dr. cannot account for a frame that he hasn't seen on the patient. Apples and oranges. And you know that.

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

B

CL's are a commodity, an AV Oasys is an AV Oasys anywhere. Eyewear is custom made, bespoke. Take your -5.00 -1.75 eyeglass Rx to 10 different locations and you will have multiple variables.

On a side note, I don't worry about netter providers anymore than I worry about the sub-standard, no knowledge, cheap B&M providers that are all around me.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Is it really so awful that online eyewear might only rise to a standard in optical fitting that was taken as gold only 30+ years ago?
    +1

BUT they have to put a big red banner on every page (like on the cigarette packages) stating:

Our glasses are NOT made with the state of the art technology!
    They might only rise to a standard in optical fitting that was taken as gold 30+ years ago!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    As already stated in the thread a PD measurement by itself is nearly meaningless. The Dr. cannot account for a frame that he hasn't seen on the patient. Apples and oranges. And you know that.

Wes:

I think the difference between our opinions is that I believe the public should have access to *adequate* eyewear, albeit at low cost. I believe you want to ensure *excellent* standards that, reasonably IMHO, cannot be enforced or even implied by measurements alone.

B
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 03-16-2012 at 11:48 AM.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I believe the public should have access to *adequate* eyewear, albeit at low cost.
    I agree if they could make an informed decision. And choose the "adequate" option knowing of the compromises made.
    But is that the case in reality and are the customers getting an accurate information on what they are getting? Lets see.

Frames Direct:
    http://www.framesdirect.com/include/...guarantee.aspx

Your eyewear from FramesDirect.com is made with top quality lenses and every order goes through a 6-step process to ensure precision before it is shipped to you. Your prescription lenses are always verified using our digital lens technology to make certain they are 100% accurate. If for any reason you receive an incorrect product, please contact our customer service department, immediately at1-800-248-9427.

FramesDirect.com has a great selection of authentic products that are expertly crafted and shipped conveniently to your
    door.
    Clearly Contacts
    http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/caboutus.html?ilid=tnav

A Better Way to Buy Eyewear

Clearly Contacts has become the largest online retailer in Canada, by offering an alternative method of purchasing eyewear online, and supplying you with the same designer brands and products offered in brick-and-mortar stores for half the price. We deliver them to your home or office so you can order in your pajamas anytime of day or night.
    Zenni Optical
    http://www.zennioptical.com/about

About Us

Using the latest in modern materials, manufacturing and marketing systems we bring our product direct from our factories to you.

More importantly, we feel prescription eyeglasses are a health item necessity for most wearers, and to that end we take considerable pride in being able to bring to all a very high quality product of great durability, safety and comfort at truly reasonable and affordable prices..
    What impression does that leave in the reader?
    Does the customer get adequate information to make an informed choice.

Does the sellers even remotely imply that the customer is getting "adequate" and not state of the art eyeglasses?
    Last edited by Nikolay Angelov; 03-16-2012 at 10:53 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is just about NOTHING I am aware of in the US that is legislated at the *excellent* level. Certianly nothing as custom and potentially complex as eyewear. Without the spectre of significant harm accompanying *adequate* eyewear, I'm am not sure it is wise for our industry to suggest otherwise for a mutually-agreeable *base* standard.

Heck, we don't even license dispensing in more than 22 states. Go figure.

B

Occupation
    Wes:

I think the difference between our opinions is that I believe the public should have access to *adequate* eyewear, albeit at low cost. I believe you want to ensure *excellent* standards that, reasonably IMHO, cannot be enforced or even implied by measurements alone.

B
    I'm not suggesting we ensure excellence, I'm suggesting we do NOT ensure mediocrity by mandating a pd measurement on RX's. You suggested the FCLCA as precedent, yet most ECPs believe this is detrimental to the consumer and the ECPs in that the consumer and internet provider uses loopholes in the law to avoid exams for years, and the ECPs are bombarded with faxes and calls requesting confirmation of rx. You're using one poor law as justification for suggesting another.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, why do you think the public can't get low cost eyewear already from B&M's? A PD law would only be beneficial to onliners, not to other B&M's.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What makes excellent eyewear? Does excellent have to mean designer frames, high index lenses, progressives or free form? I'm pretty sure I can produce excellent eyewear with basic materials. They won't be fancy with the newest technology, but they will have been measured with care, put together with skill, and dispensed knowing they meet the needs of my patient discussed at the time of purchase.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Suggested reading for you all : Selling the invisible by by Harry Beckwith. Take home message "Don't let perfect ruin good enough"
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In some ways the administration of the FCLCA is unfavorable. I think that if I agree with your premise, and I can, then we'd have to outlaw any OTC. If that's not gonna happen, then the working and political climate we find ourselves in logically dictates a bino PD to be found adequate and acceptable.

I find conceding this point allows me to speak from a far more credible and less self-serving pulpit from which to tell the real of our value/quality story.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    Barry, why do you think the public can't get low cost eyewear already from B&M's? A PD law would only be beneficial to onliners, not to other B&M's.

I, for one, WANT *any* of my clients that would be drawn to the appeal of online eyewear to do so, and fast. Once they experience it, those who dislike it will join the ranks of other, dissatisfied B&M customers and become enthusiastic and live-long clients.

As far as facilitating online, let it: The sooner we can institute service charges, the better....

What's the old saying: "You don't know what your missing..."?

B

Occupation
    Barry, if you had seen readers abused as much as I have, you'd want them outlawed too. I regularly see some cross-eyed, melon-headed hayseed "self-refracting" his distance rx with otc readers. Guys with 76mm pds wearing +2.50 readers with 60mm pds... I shudder when I think about these guys in their massive penismobile trucks sharing the road with me.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Barry, if you had seen readers abused as much as I have, you'd want them outlawed too. I regularly see some cross-eyed, melon-headed hayseed "self-refracting" his distance rx with otc readers. Guys with 76mm pds wearing +2.50 readers with 60mm pds... I shudder when I think about these guys in their massive penismobile trucks sharing the road with me.
    No disagreement at all here, Wes. It's just that our politicians, legislative gatekeepers and the public want choice, whether proven or initimated as damaging to health, or not. Hey, cigarettes are still around, right? Even with that warning on every box.

Kinda comes with a free society. Or, opening another can of worms, where would one draw the line?

B

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody see the Bears game?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Anybody see the Bears game?
    They got a steal with Brandon Marshall (even if he is nuts) for 2 third round picks.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I for one, want any of my clients to get their *adequate* eyewear from at minimum another B&M where at least some form of accountability exists.

A system of eyewear delivery that has;

* No verification process

* No check and balance

* Suggests theft of service

* Uses "guesstimication" for sizing and measurements

Is NOT adequate, at least from a professional's viewpoint. ( Maybe Joe Blow Public thinks otherwise, but that can't be my stance).

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I see this too, and it scares the crap out of me, because those guys DO drive the same roads I do. And they now may believe an eye exam has no value, which means they may believe accurate eyewear has no value. And Lord help them when they need a PAL for the first time or a real RX with no induced prism, dispensing nightmare.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optical24/7 View Post
    I for one, want any of my clients to get their *adequate* eyewear from at minimum another B&M where at least some form of accountability exists.

A system of eyewear delivery that has;

* No verification process

* No check and balance

* Suggests theft of service

* Uses "guesstimication" for sizing and measurements

Is NOT adequate, at least from a professional's viewpoint. ( Maybe Joe Blow Public thinks otherwise, but that can't be my stance).

Even in NY, one of the premier/legacy licensed states, there are TONS of B&Ms that don't do the above well, or sometimes at all.

Don't see the difference vs. online. Better, If OTCs are verified after assembly and labeling, I'd like to know. Further and finally,, let the buyer beware. At least I didn't prevent their choice. Even if I'm accused of facilitating online reddemption by mandating a PD on the Rx, what does that say about the *(more?) medical device, a CL, classed as a drug?

Re: Measurements: Studies I've seen re: "guesstimations" from uploaded photos via intellient algorhythms appear to produce PD values within the same subset as values taken by varying praticioners using varying instruments. Seems *adequate* to me for most SV.
    B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Re: Measurements: Studies I've seen re: "guesstimations" from uploaded photos via intellient algorhythms appear to produce PD values within the same subset as values taken by varying praticioners using varying instruments. Seems *adequate* to me for most SV.
    B
    Then you agree, there's no need to put a PD on an RX.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pehaps I'm just being naive, but the final CL fitting is much different from a spectacle rx.

The prescriber is only required to release a CL rx after the final fitting is determined, which should bring the patient back into the practice at least once. Buying them online, which I believe is inherently dangerous, will not change the prescribed parameters. The expectation is that they have been properly fitted and evaluated before the final order is written and handed to the patient. The expectation is that the specific parameters will be reproduced and the patient will be able to see. It's the follow-up care that suffers and is where the danger lies.
    However, a spectacle rx is just the beginning of the process. There is no guarantee that will work properly until it is fitted and fabricated. You can hand out PD's all day long, but in the end, there is no guarantee that the patient will see properly. We've all been down that road many times. Pt picks up new glasses and frowns...not a good sign.
    So, I guess my point is why would anyone want to involve themselves in the fitting process and then relinquish control over the final product for ANY amount of money?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Then you agree, there's no need to put a PD on an RX.
    What do you care if there is a PD on the RX?

Relax and if you don't need it, don't use it ... it's just 2 numbers on a peace of paper .

Thread Information