Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Higher-end sunglass line without a huge buy-in

Occupation
    Optical Retail

Wanted: Higher-end sunglass line without a huge buy-in

I run a pretty small dispensary, about 400 board spaces. My doctors and I are talking about getting in a new sunglass brand for the summer, something along the Serengeti and Maui Jims lines. In the past, my efforts to bring in product like that have always come up against minimum buy-ins in the dozens, a bit much for my shop. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    I run a pretty small dispensary, about 400 board spaces. My doctors and I are talking about getting in a new sunglass brand for the summer, something along the Serengeti and Maui Jims lines. In the past, my efforts to bring in product like that have always come up against minimum buy-ins in the dozens, a bit much for my shop. Does anyone have any thoughts?
    Well, w/o knowing what your other suns might be, you might want to consider looking elsewhere for a sun line. Both of these are available just about anywhere, online and brick. I don't care for that, and try to avoid it or eliminate it. That said, since both of these are so prevalent, there should be not problem putting in a 24 pc order or something. What do they have to lose, the market is already saturated with them anyway. MJ does make a great sun, but they're now in LC, which I don't like one little bit. I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to replace them, they are no longer supporting the little guy. They seem to have lost their roots and their way. The one thing that keeps me wondering if they should be eliminated, is the fact that everyone needs a pair of suns, so there is probably room for such market saturation, and at least they have a MSRP that is suppossed to be held. Suppossedly....

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When you find out let me know. I am in the same boat. Oakley offerred to supply me with sunglassess if i bought 24 regular frames. Then I would have the right to access an Oakley sunglass acount with again 24 minimum frames. To much money to compete with Oakley retail competition and their on-line stores.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Thats a pretty good offer there coupe. (I gathering they are giving you the suns on consignment or free?)

I'm looking to replace Oakley ophthalmics with something else that the Oakley ophthalmic buyer would like. Any suggestions?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FezzJohns is igniting the sunglass arena!

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    FezzJohns is igniting the sunglass arena!
    Hook me up!

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    We carry Rudy Project and Wiley X. Top selling men's suns for us are Carrera and Nike. For women it's Kate Spade, Banana Republic, and Guess. Further complicating the matter is the fact that we sell almost 100% RX suns. We're in a medical park, so walk-in traffic is nonexistent. No impulse buys or sale sign draws.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't know about the buy-in, but Von Zipper is trending up here in VA Beach.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    Thats a pretty good offer there coupe. (I gathering they are giving you the suns on consignment or free?)

I'm looking to replace Oakley ophthalmics with something else that the Oakley ophthalmic buyer would like. Any suggestions?
    Why?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeHamm View Post
    We do very well with Tag Heuer in the wide series as an 8 base drill mount sunglass in trivex polarized! They also have some lizard and eel skin pieces that sell for $2,000 and you need them to show them how reasonable the $450 frame is!
    Welcome to the world of luxury.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kaenon is a great product, we have had a very good reaction both Rx and non.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Why?
    We like to be different.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Bronze Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Austin....no consigment....no discount....poor exchange terms ...etc.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Activist Eyewear

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look into switch, they are very similair in style to the oakley flak and half jackets.... liberty makes them and they have magnetic interchangeable lenses. They rock and I love mine. The only pair of suns I prefer are my Maui's. Here is the link http://www.switchvision.com/preview.html

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by normuck View Post
    Look into switch, they are very similair in style to the oakley flak and half jackets.... liberty makes them and they have magnetic interchangeable lenses. They rock and I love mine. The only pair of suns I prefer are my Maui's. Here is the link http://www.switchvision.com/preview.html

+1!!! Switch is awesome!

I love Switch! The quality is fantastic, customer service is on point, I can't say enough about how great Switch is. No minimum buy-in, they have a great specialty lens selection and a good variety of frames. Do not talk with the girls at Liberty- they are clueless about the Switch product. Try and get connected with the Switch division on it's own- they really know their stuff.

The other thing I really love about them is that they aren't as limited as Maui or Oakley when it comes to Rx lenses. They will do higher cyl orders very well. They use Shamir progressives, the attitude or the Auto II if I remember correctly.

I've have several patients rave about the quality of even the plano lenses- I had a guy post on our office Facebook wall that he won a shooting competition wearing his switch planos last weekend.

If you have any questions, I am very familiar with this product.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post

Yeah, Oakley is a pain. I prefer not to work with them if I can help it.
    "Strictly speaking, there are no enlightened beings; only enlightened activity." -Shunryu Suzuki

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I might try them, but I hate the Liberty connection.

I sure hope that they are easier to deal with than Liberty!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I spent an hour at the SWITCH Booth, at VEW last year, but in the end there were two reasons I didn't go with them.

1. They are Liberty
    2. Their exchange policy if there was an issue with the rx/vision. I don't remember the specifics, but it was enough that I went back two more times to talk to them, and walked away unconvinced.

NC: Did you put the big display in? It was a nice looking unit. Also, what are the rx limitations? It's been awhile since I talked to them, and it was Vegas...

I really like the concept, and the ease of use. I don't remember the price points, but they didn't seem outrageous.

Are there any drawbacks to the product?

Like I said...I was very intrigued in it.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I might try them, but I hate the Liberty connection.

I sure hope that they are easier to deal with than Liberty!
    Liberty is frustrating to deal with but the Switch people are great. Even when I am only ordering chasis I call the lab because they get my order right the first time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I spent an hour at the SWITCH Booth, at VEW last year, but in the end there were two reasons I didn't go with them.

1. They are Liberty
    2. Their exchange policy if there was an issue with the rx/vision. I don't remember the specifics, but it was enough that I went back two more times to talk to them, and walked away unconvinced.

NC: Did you put the big display in? It was a nice looking unit. Also, what are the rx limitations? It's been awhile since I talked to them, and it was Vegas...

I really like the concept, and the ease of use. I don't remember the price points, but they didn't seem outrageous.

Are there any drawbacks to the product?

Like I said...I was very intrigued in it.
    They do have a strict return policy but as a former surface lab technician I think for what they offer it's more than fair. It is a bit more expensive but frankly I think the patient investment is on par with Maui.

The policy is as follows: You call in or fax your order and typically they call you back and confirm the order before they process it. If you aren't listening and you agree to something that isn't correct it's your fault. With patients that want a Rx I spell it out, "I can make a highly customized product for you but because this product is highly customized we need to be perfectly clear about what you want to accomplish with this eyewear. There is no recourse if you just decide you don't like them." I haven't had a problem yet.

The standard sun chasis comes with 2 sets of lenses, one polarized, A/R coated with flash mirror and one set of rose driving lenses. You can choose which color of polarized lenses you'd like no matter the frame. The additional tinted lenses that are plano are more than reasonable in the way of wholesale cost. This is a huge selling point with CL wearing patients. Another thing that attracts CL wearers is that if they want a Rx lens for days they don't feel like wearing CL's it's two seconds to change from their planos to the perscription lens.

I didn't not put in the display, I have the suns on my dresswear display to encourage impulse buys. Guys are gaga over the technology. My Dr's love to bring people out of the exam rooms to play with the product and explain the benefits.

As for drawbacks, the only thing I can think of is the rigid return and remake policy. Otherwise color me impressed. If you want a rx limitation chart, PM me your fax number, I'll send it. I did a +2.25 -3.50 X 90 SV (approx OU) recently for a guy who had been denied by Maui and he was thrilled with the results.
    Last edited by NCspecs; 05-24-2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: tweak

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One thing I don't understand is how do you even consider Maui Jim, Oakley, and Switch as high-end???? If these brands are high-end what is Alain Mikli, Theo, Anne et Valentin, Barton Perreira, Activist Eyewear, Starck, ic berlin, Mykita, on goes on.......

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GokhanSF View Post
    One thing I don't understand is how do you even consider Maui Jim, Oakley, and Switch as high-end???? If these brands are high-end what is Alain Mikli, Theo, Anne et Valentin, Barton Perreira, Activist Eyewear, Starck, ic berlin, Mykita, on goes on.......
    I put those into the luxury ophthalmic group that might have a sunlenses w/them as well. They are not names I would associate with sunglasses. Cadillac and Porsche now each have an SUV category, but I don't think of either of them when I think of off-roading.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I put those into the luxury ophthalmic group that might have a sunlenses w/them as well. They are not names I would associate with sunglasses. Cadillac and Porsche now each have an SUV category, but I don't think of either of them when I think of off-roading.
    Johns, I can understand where you are coming from but still Oakley and Switch are not high-end sunglasses. Maybe Kaenon is what we are looking for?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yeah...I see your point. For some in the midwest though, anything that is not display next to a can of oil and a slurpee could be considered high end!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kala makes some nice sunglasses, made in the USA as well. I also carry WileyX, Cazal, Lafont, and I also make (glaze) some of my regular opthalmic frames, so I have different things.
    I came, I saw, I left

Thread Information