Thread: Friday......902 comments to the CBC Show about expensive glasses.....................

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Friday......902 comments to the CBC Show about expensive glasses.....................

Framed
    Comments (902)

mg · 2 days ago I just want to thank CBC very much. Since this episode aired I have been yelled and screamed at by people who come into the store that I work at. I don't make the prices, our Head Office does. I have been living a nightmare.
    You only did your research on LensCrafters and an On line source. This was unfare and only showed to sides .Do your research Marketplace and do not take the opinon of a crooked optician who owes 65 millin dollars in fines.
    Thanks to you the company I work for will probably do more downsizing, people will loose their jobs and unemployment has just went up!!!!

Mike H · 20 hours ago

It used to be that we could buy complete glasses in Ontario with same-day service for a reasonable price. (Remember companies like Public Optical?). Alas, such companies are long gone.
    Until 3 years ago my wife and I had had good service and reasonable prices ($120 - $130) from Walmart Optical. When I tried to fill my last prescription the price had risen dramatically for my straightforward prescription. I tried several opticians and the prices ranged from $400 - $600). I looked at the on-line sites and selected one in the US where my progressive multifocals in a flex, semi rimless frame, with all coatings and high index lenses cost less that $100. These were the best glasses I've ever had and so comfortable that I gave up wearing contacts altogether.
    Recently both my wife and I ordered new glasses from the same company at a very reasonable cost. We have been completely satisfied.
    However, you do need to make sure that all the measurements you provide are accurate. That includes stem, bridge and near and far PD. (In my case, the PDs were on one of my prescriptions).

continue ---------------------------------------> http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2012/framed/

Occupation
    Iam really wondering which this post does not raise any blood pressure among OptiBoarder, over 900 posts by consumers and opticians seem to awaken no interest. Not one post in defense of B&M opticianry on this board. Maybe we merit what we get and what is coming even more.

Occupation
    I am really wondering why this post does not raise any blood pressure among OptiBoarder, over 900 posts by consumers and opticians seem to awaken no interest. Not one post in defense of B&M opticianry on this board. Maybe we merit what we get and what is coming even more.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chris:
    I posted 3 replies in response to other replies, under my name, of course. They're buried.
    I happen to sympathize with the public that feels that our industry is raising the harm/health issues a little too strongly. I think that a free market means adequate has to be on the table. I have no problem with frames being bought on the internet, and brought in for lenses. We just took a PD for $20 for a young girl whose mother is a client, but want to order complete eyewear online to save money.

If they don't have a problem, I'm here.

If they do, I'm still here.

You can't tell whether the grass is greener unless you cross over. Some will. Some won't.

That's they way it is. The spectre of health issues going undetected is no different, in my current view, than the similar metric processes we accept comfortably today, such as blood pressure and temperature.

Discussion...preferably without repeating the SOS.

B

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why would it raise my blood pressure? I have never looked over my shoulder at how my competition is trying to catch up to me, but rather to the consumer to see what they are asking for. They are asking for good service and reasonable prices.

We are delivering.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Johns has the better approach.

Some of us have tried every possible approach at every level and still we only meet with apathy from fellow opticians which matches the apathy from governing bodies , both refuse to take action within their reach and remove their heads from the sand .

The average everyday optician has no right to complain and deserves to lose his job in my opinion , if they are not willing to be part of the solution then they are definitely part of the problem.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    by the way is there still an unexpo ?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by idispense View Post
    by the way is there still an unexpo ?
    We've talked about it, but with the big response from the West Coast, we are thinking it may be out that way next, or at least someplace more central.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Do-it-yourself is here to stay.

Two methods, now: regulated and non.

Choose a side and go with it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by drk View Post
    Do-it-yourself is here to stay.

Two methods, now: regulated and non.

Choose a side and go with it.
    Regulated costs more. The question that *we* should be answering is: How much more?

B

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I love the confusion and we use it to prosper! Who cares what the low priced providers do; it can be the internet or B&M it only helps my story. I am the most expensive seller on the internet for RX sunglasses and we charge more than suggested retail on all frames in my stores; it works for us and our customers! They are happy to pay a fair price for great service and products.
    If it were all about price, Chris would rule the world!

Chris,
    Stop by my store today or tomorrow and interview a few people spending over $1,000.00 per pair of glasses on average if they want to save money on the internet? They could go to 10 places within 2 miles of my office and they still spend more with Eyetopian Optical!

I could go to Burger King for a steak sandwhich, but my kids prefer Ruths Chris Steakhouse!

Why are you so concerned with helping out the cheap people and broke people of the optical world? I do my charity work and my store is not part of the charity.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Craig: your system works if the demographics support it. My area has issues placing it About $250-300 less than your $1k average

B

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Barry, you should make like the Jefferson's and get out of that area start "Movin On Up" and get a piece of that pie. Man now I've got that song stuck in my head!!!
    Last edited by Plausible; 03-12-2012 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Occupation

I just believe that the optical retail business as it is ............................

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post

Chris,
    Why are you so concerned with helping out the cheap people and broke people of the optical world? I do my charity work and my store is not part of the charity.

Craig.............I love the way your doing business and if I would be still in the retail I most probably do the same. I grew up in such a place and know the feeling it can give you. there is nothing nicer than dealing with poeple that have no problems just looking for the best at whatever cost.
    I still remember your store in Naples where you shared same building entrance than the largest and nicest and best jeweller store in Naples that services my watches and where my black lab likes to cool off in the lake around it.

Not everybody is either as good and or smart as you building up a niche that works fine. You are in an part of this world where a lot of wealthy people live full or part time and they do find you.

I am concerned for a profession that has its roots back when the one of the first recorded pair of glasses were made in 1284 by Salvino D'Armate in Italy and has progressed from there. I just believe that the optical retail business as it is for the less fortunate ones should not disapear in the wake of the on-line dealers.

Thread Information