Thread: Luxottica's EZ Frame software

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question

Has anyone used the EZ Frame software from Luxottica? We are thinking about getting it in our office. What is everyone's thoughts about it? Thanks!

Bad address email on file

Thumbs up

We recently purchased the program and so far my thoughts are that it is a lot of program for the money. The inventory program isn't perfect however. It doesn't have the ability to scan a frame sold though it recognizes the UPC?? Makes me wonder if they ever took it for a test drive before they released it.
    Rodney

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

We are long time users of the DOS version of EZFrame (5 or 6 years) and we've gotten very used to it. But now we are trying to switch to the windows version (relunctly) because Luxottica is about to stop supporting the Dos version.

So far I see a few glitches... you're right Rodney. I'm not sure they really did a thorough test run. The first thing I noticed is that the lab orders do not print the calculations for decentration, inset, above/below. We also seem to have some problems in the data conversion from DOS to windows. The biggest problem though, is that I don't ahve the time or patience to start to learn a new routine.

Rodney. I am able to scan the UPC labels though. You may be having trouble with the scanner or its software.

My experience with Luxottica and the DOS version has been very good overall. I do expect the same service from them as we've had in the past. When you do find a problem in the software they will eventually fix it. I'm told to expect a fix for the lab order calculations by January. We should still be in business then!

I'd be interested to know of your experience with EZFrame and I'll be glad share our comments as we start using it more.

Good luck,
    Rich.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We decided to go ahead and purchase the software and just got it in. We are starting to make sense of it and reading the manual so I will let you know what we think of it in a few days. Thanks for the input and if you have any other advice on it please let me know.
    Thanks!

Actually Rich, I can get the scanner to work and it will pull up the frame info from the Frames CD but that's as far as the program goes. You can't import the data into your inventory or scan it as sold. At least that's my experience. I've also noticed that most of my "new" frames aren't in the Frames CD. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Rodney

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Vicki,

I maybe a little tardy here! I saw your post on the OptiBoard. We have been using EZ Frame for about a year now. It is definitely worth the price (compared to those other guys out there). It is sometimes hard to get thru to support but if you keep trying at different times of the day, you will eventually get thru.

I have just started using the Medicare part of EZ Frame &, with the exception of a couple of little redundant quirks, it works fine. Something that it needs in the inventory area is a way to change prices on frame you have already imported & are in inventory. I haven't tried to do this yet, but I am told that you have to go in & change it for each size in each color. I have submitted suggestions to the support people several times & these guys appear to be listening,
    because I saw some of my suggestions added with a later update.

I like the receipts that it prints out as well as the lab orders. When I first started using the job input screen it was awkward. It wasn't like most of the forms that stores normally use for Rx orders. But after a short time & a few Rx's, it became very easy.

One neat thing you can do is if a patient comes in to buy a 2nd pair of glasses (with the same or a different frame), you can "Copy" the last order & go into it & only update what needs to be updated, price it out, & that's it. Very simple!

One thing I don't care for is that if someone has bought glasses or contacts (or whatever) & you need to change something within that order (ie. seg heighth, PD, axis, etc.) you can not do it. You have to delete the order & re-enter it. AND you have to go into the patients ledger & post a "write-off" or "refund" to counter the deleted Rx. But I suppose that could be considered a good bookkeeping safety-net too. Also there are several things that need to be put into the patient information area for Medicare & other insurances. As well as making some of this patient information default into certain fields on the forms that are filled out for
    insurance & orders.

The main thing I have to say about EZ Frame or any of these programs is:

ALWAYS MAKE BACKUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This program only has 4 files that need to be copied to a backup disk, & it is very easy to
    do. So it isn't any reason that backups should not be done. As far as backups go, I have a built in ZIP drive & every evening after exiting the program, I go into Windows Explorer & copy these 4 files to a Zipdisk. I have 2 disk. I use one every other day. It works out great. Some people have one for each day of the week. This is good too.

I hope some of this has been useful! Email me if you have any questions or need some help.
    There are somethings I don't use that I may not know about. But if I can help I will!

Good luck & enjoy it!!
    Spex

[This message has been edited by Spex (edited 09-14-2000).]

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I may throw in my two cents worth . . .
    EZ Frame is an ancient version of Alpha Bytes that goes back to the early 90's. It was upgraded somewhat, but was not a quality product. Benson Optical bought the source code and revamped it big time. But, it is still a lack luster glitchy program. As far as DOS based programs is concerned it ranks very low. Without any question, C.O.S. is the most powerful optical retail management and optometric package around. It is sortable on every field which makes it extremely powerful. It is also BarCode happy. The lookup tables run circles around EZ Frame 100:1. If you set it up all the way, your profits will stabilize if pricing errors is a problem. The data "cards" are outstanding. The program is configurable for retail only or doctor only or both and it will network beautifully into a superstore environment. You can run it under Windows also even though it is DOS. You can download a full working copy with a 500 patient maximum for free. Also, C.C. systems can provide file conversion. The program is built on FoxBase, I believe, which makes the files much more Microsoft compatible. The system data transfers directly to a lab system they developed and will transfer files into "Real World Accounting" which is the most powerful accounting package around with an international installed user base. I am not an employee of CC Systems. But I have put it through its paces and under fire and it's great. It does NOT have an artzy users interface. It is very meat and potatoes. If CC Systems had a marketing department, everyone would know about it and the price would be 3 time higher.
    Try www.opticalonline.com or CC Systems in Largo Florida.
    Can I go now? Dinner's on the table!
    Thanks, bye! :D

Thread Information