Thread: Circularly polarized filter

OptiBoard Novice
    Can anyone tell me if there are any effects or benefits of applying circularly polarised filters on spectacle lenses?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Since "visual acuity" is what we are most interested in, then you have to consider what "type" of polar effect you want, linear polarization, not collinear or as you wanted to know circular polarization, the direction of the amplitude varies with time. This implies that the amplitude is not restricted to a single plane as before, but instead rotates so that the axis of rotation (as given by the right hand rule) is opposite the direction of motion. The angular frequency of the rotation is . This wave is said to be right circularly polarized. In a similar way.
    In this case the wave rotates with the axis of rotation in the same direction as the motion, and the wave is said to be left circularly polarized.
    As an interesting aside, a linearly polarized wave can be constructed from two oppositely polarized waves, This wave has an amplitude of twice the original wave and is linearly polarized in the x plane
    While in our use of a polar sheet we want to "simply" bring light that has become scattered (haze, reflection etc.) back onto a perpendicular plane and eliminate the ..hmm "chaff from the wheat" ...
    Of course I am NOT an optical engineer, or anything close to it, just a lab rat and I could be off base.. but I thought I could give it a try.. BTW you might want to repost this down in the ophthalmic optics forum, they love stuff like this there :)

Jeff"Somebody throw this lab rat some cheese"Trail

Thread Information