Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alittle help

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

alittle help

I never thought in a million years I would have trouble finding a job. I thought people would want someone with experience and knowledge. I am not going to whine(well maybe alittle)but really...craiglist is a bust..you send in your resume to unknown places and no one calls you and you don't know who it is to follow up with. When you do know who it is and follow up still no one calls . I have had people call me, I return their calls and they never return the calls. I haven't figured out since I haven't done this in awhile how many times to call without being rude.

I see reposting for jobs I know I sent my resume for and think "ok what the heck"

Ok so here's what I'm curious about. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone with 20 years experience who is ABO/NCLE certified, who willing to work, learn new skills if needed, not run a practice(been there done that), etc.....How can I get anyone's attention to at least get my foot in the door to talk to any hiring manager?

Thanks
    Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Offer to work for "free" for your interview. Helps when nothing else can sometimes.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    This is going to sound really odd coming from me, but if you're just trying to get a job, any job, maybe you should scale your experience and qualifications back. Many hiring managers will be afraid you'll be much more qualified than them and take their job. Another issue is that sometimes they only want you to know that THEY want you to know.
    Now to get a really GOOD position, the more qualifications, the better.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    I never thought in a million years I would have trouble finding a job. I thought people would want someone with experience and knowledge. I am not going to whine(well maybe alittle)but really...craiglist is a bust..you send in your resume to unknown places and no one calls you and you don't know who it is to follow up with. When you do know who it is and follow up still no one calls . I have had people call me, I return their calls and they never return the calls. I haven't figured out since I haven't done this in awhile how many times to call without being rude.

I see reposting for jobs I know I sent my resume for and think "ok what the heck"

Ok so here's what I'm curious about. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone with 20 years experience who is ABO/NCLE certified, who willing to work, learn new skills if needed, not run a practice(been there done that), etc.....How can I get anyone's attention to at least get my foot in the door to talk to any hiring manager?

Thanks
    Christina
    First off anyone with 20 years experience mentioned anywhere in the cover letter or resume is automatically out. Combine that with only a ABO/NCLE and I know your a coaster or at least that's what I think. I would much rather someone that is more sales and fashion oriented, but I'm not a hiring manager or anything so my advice is kinda out of left field.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by PhiTrace View Post
    First off anyone with 20 years experience mentioned anywhere in the cover letter or resume is automatically out. Combine that with only a ABO/NCLE and I know your a coaster or at least that's what I think. I would much rather someone that is more sales and fashion oriented, but I'm not a hiring manager or anything so my advice is kinda out of left field.
    My Mama told me if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all. Particularly if you can't offer good advice. That being said....cut this poster some slack...she's not a coaster...she is in a non-licensed state. There's a huge difference. And as you mentioned, you are not a hiring manager or anything. I'm sure you didn't mean anything negative.:) Did you?

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    What kind of work are you looking to do?
    Where are you located?
    Why are you not working now?
    I may have some contacts...
    But would need to know more before I can put you in touch with anyone.
    c.m.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I see you are in Minnesota.
    Maybe, as I said, let me know more.

chris@choahusa.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    First off Thanks Diane for your answer. Coaster I am not. I left my last position to take time for myself and to be closer to my family I was driving a hour one way each day to run a rather large practice. Before doing that I was working in private practice in Florida. I have moved more than I wanted to do, but my husband was in the Navy. I have trained alot of opticians and love doing it. I am fashion forward and love everything about this industry. While I have taken the ABO AC twice I am horrible at math and have missed passing by points. I was never afraid to talk to people due to how long they were in optics. If they had experience I was always willing to listen and find out where they were in their careers. I guess I want to know more before I rule out people. You can teach old dogs new tricks. And by the way the new ones out there who are fashion forward don't aways want to learn the why and those I always have to fix their messes(oh what fun that is)...

Chris I will send you my info. I am willing to fix my resume. I haven't had to send one out for a long time so I appreciate any help I can get.

Christina

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    With 20 some odd years in the field you should certainly have many connections in the wholesale and retail levels. These connections should be your best bet and securing a new position. The Internet sucks as a job searching tool particularly in a familial occupation such as opticianry - stop wasting your time. Use your network of friends and cohorts and perhaps most importantly present yourself in person to all of the retail opticians in your area. And, you may have to call on these potential employers on a monthly basis. Try to speak to the owner or proprietor and not some cone head manager.

Personally, I have never found employment by answering a help wanted ad nor have I ever advertised for employees. I do understand that we are in a different situation these days but I still feel that networking is one of the most important activities that anyone can make. Trying and become active in your state professional society and attend and participate in educational seminars. Meet people as you never know when you may find yourself out of work or looking for a quality employee.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very few people will even look at a resume except for highly technical (read eduated) jobs except to check for HS diploma, and references once they have interviewed and are concidering hiring you.
    How you present yourself in person on the first meeting is all important. Hide tattoos, piercings, and any other things that the most conservative might find offensive or evidence of strange behaviour.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do have connections and they are trying to help. As for our society we don't have one and due to that we don't have education here. I actually want to recreate both and restart the process, but I am stuck at my next step.(I can get people to do the education but I don't know how to actually put it together) Here in Minnesota things are pretty tough. My next step is going out to private clinics and opticals shops.

The places that I have walked into are frightening. The customer service and skill levels are terrible. I try and listen and see if its a place I want to work and if I would fit and so far I place would be great. I have talk to the owner and we are trying to schedule a sit down. I'll have to be willing to wait to find the right place, but I miss working(can you believe it)

Christina

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    With 20 some odd years in the field you should certainly have many connections in the wholesale and retail levels. These connections should be your best bet and securing a new position. The Internet sucks as a job searching tool particularly in a familial occupation such as opticianry - stop wasting your time. Use your network of friends and cohorts and perhaps most importantly present yourself in person to all of the retail opticians in your area. And, you may have to call on these potential employers on a monthly basis. Try to speak to the owner or proprietor and not some cone head manager.

Personally, I have never found employment by answering a help wanted ad nor have I ever advertised for employees. I do understand that we are in a different situation these days but I still feel that networking is one of the most important activities that anyone can make. Trying and become active in your state professional society and attend and participate in educational seminars. Meet people as you never know when you may find yourself out of work or looking for a quality employee.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My best advice is to get out of the optical business!

You are seeing what I have been whining about for years.

It seems that the more that you know, the more experienced that you are, and the more knowledge that you can bring to the table........................the more unemployable that you become and you scare away the employers of today.

It is a sad fact. Look back at many of the help wanted threads here. Most do not want real experience, only a year or two. Most want you to be more of a front desk, scheduler, insurance, frame stylist.

Your skills and knowledge don't mean much. Sorry.

Sure, sure, I know that there MIGHT be a few employers out there that would actually want and pay you for what you know, but they are few and far between, and the opticians like me who work for someone like that are not leaving any time soon. I am sure that some will post a rebuttal to what I am saying and deny the facts. Trouble is, many of those folks that refute the reality are employed and have not had to job search lately. Many of them would be devastated if they had to try and get a optician position today.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just hired someone with 20 years experience, and to be honest, he's not that great of an optician. Why did I hire him?

1.He wasn't making much at his last job.
    2.He said his strongest area was sales.

After 2 weeks, I've given him a raise, and told him he really needs to sharpen up on his optical skills. (He's hitting the ball OUT OF THE PARK on sales).

I really like the Diane's idea of offering to work for free. I had someone relocate from out of state, to be closer to his kids. He offered to work a day for free. I told him I would pay him, and I hired him at the end of the day. He's now one of my managers, and has been with us for 13 years.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you can't find anything suitable locally,your only option may be relocation (if that's an option). With your credentials, you could sit for the Florida licensure exam right away.

Sadly, Fezz is largely right. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend getting out of the business, it is difficult to find a practice that wants someone as experienced and competent as you sound. Working in a licensed state changes that. While many employers don't want to pay what you're worth, they need that piece of paper that makes their operation legal.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Florida can and will happen in a few years. We can't sell our home to save our lives right now so we are stuck here. I grew up in Florida and love it there and so does my husband. We intend to retire there....

Fezz I understand what you are saying. While I am not working I am helping my friend run her food shelf and am loving it:-)

While volunteering has its perks it doesn't pay the bills to help us get out of her and out from under our mortage.

As for working for free to show someone what I can do, I did that while running the practice I was at. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I would definitely do it if I could get in the door. The one place I did do it for I was able to sell quite a bit with great info and one of my patients told me he would speak to the owner to make sure I got the job. I still didn't get the job. I went through multiple interviews with them and the owner never got back to me. I sent a thank you note and let them know to keep me in mind if anything changed.

I think I am the right track. I am taking all of what you guys have to say to heart. I trust this board and the advise I receive. I really appreciate all of it:-)

Christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Florida can and will happen in a few years. We can't sell our home to save our lives right now so we are stuck here. I grew up in Florida and love it there and so does my husband. We intend to retire there....

Christina
    If Florida is in your future, you may want to consider getting your license now. If you are ABO and NCLE certified, and have worked in an unlicensed state for 5 of the last 7 years, you can take the Florida exam. If you wait until you haven't worked 5 of the last 7, you lose that path and would probably need to apprentice for 3 years.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Have you considered renting your place out until it can be sold? A property manager generally charges you 10% of the rent to manage it. Often you can rent it out for more than the mortgage. Why not have someone else pay your mortgage and build equity in your property for you? If things break, you'll have to fix them, but that'd be the case if you were living there or not. A house is an asset if it makes money for you. If you live in it, its really a just a liability. My advice to people is to never sell property. Always get someone else to pay for it for you, and buy more. Its the easiest way to build wealth. Value transference. Look it up.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do plan to take the test in October. Plans are in the making, I will get there......

Christina
    Quote Originally Posted by gmc View Post
    If Florida is in your future, you may want to consider getting your license now. If you are ABO and NCLE certified, and have worked in an unlicensed state for 5 of the last 7 years, you can take the Florida exam. If you wait until you haven't worked 5 of the last 7, you lose that path and would probably need to apprentice for 3 years.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The practical part of the test will be done virtually instead of hands on for the first time this spring. I have a coworker that will be taking it. I'll let you know how it goes and what to expect.

The lawyer who does contract reviews for the state DOH was in my office a few days ago. She said you will soon be able to take the test anytime, not just on prescheduled dates. The cost is a lot less too. :-)

I do plan to take the test in October. Plans are in the making, I will get there......

Christina

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Have you posted your resume on job sites like http://www.healthjobsusa.com/ ? I'm sure there are other medical job sites out there as well, it wouldn't hurt putting yourself out there - you have great qualifications and experience!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Java99's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my last position I managed the optical for a 5 OD practice. Hiring good people was terribly hard, and this is why: they're expensive and the docs didn't want to pay for caviar when they could get cheez whiz to do a passable imitation of opticianry. In this economy, people with 20 years good experience are competing for the same jobs as someone with two years, and one can be had for a whole lot less money. Not saying it's right, just saying that's how it is in some places.

Occupation
    Wal Mart.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Never say never...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    I really like the Diane's idea of offering to work for free.
    That is how Harry Sloan got started. He told the shop owner, you just pay what I am worth. If I am worth nothing, you pay nothing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Any luck?

Thread Information