Thread: Any good generator vacuum ideas out there?

Occupation
    Optometrist

Any good generator vacuum ideas out there?

I've got an Optronics 2G generator with a shop vac in the cabinet that the generator sits on. The thing seems to fill up the vacuum bags reasonably quickly.

Are there any other good alternatives to the usual shop vac bag system that anyone has thought up?
    -Steve

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    As I recall we emptied every 250 cuts at the shop with a similar setup, it was fine for us but wold have been annoying with more volume.

Where I work now we have a wood-shop style dust collector (Cincinnati Fans 75S) located in a closet next to the generator. It functions well, drawbacks are that it is extremely loud, the cloth filter bag on the exhaust is a pain to empty, and there is a fine layer of plastic on everything in the closet at the end of a busy day. The systems with a catch can under a vertical filter bag look easier to empty, and I believe are available with fairly fine filter bags. The closet we have was built to house the vac and air compressor, it helps a bundle with noise, I couldn't imagine using the dust collector open in the lab.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I got a Delta Duct Collector that they sell at HD or Loews. Jet is a similar brand. Google Woodworkers Supply and look at Dust Collection.
    Theses things are actually quieter than they shop vacs. If you have space you can put it somewhere out of the way to keep the noise even lower. If you cant find the right hose fittings also check Rockler under power tools, dust collection. A little MacGyver action with some Duct tape and you'll be golden. Good Luck.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Occupation
    Optometrist
    So what do you do when it's full? Just dump it into a large trash bag?
    -Steve

Occupation
    Optometrist
    We just dump out the lower bag into the dumpster. It actually holds quite a bit.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We have been using the standard vacs supplied by national optronics on their dry edgers for out Optek generator. Recently we had one of them break down and rather than replace it with the same thing ($350), we decided to try a large capacity vac from Home Depot ($179). (I'd have to double check the brand, but I think it was Shop Vac). I went for the one that claims to be quieter. We have been very pleased with it. The surfacing staff felt it was so quiet and more effective in trapping the dust than the old ones. PM me if you want the exact model number.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I also use a regular dust collector but I route it through the standard shop vac tub with the filter in the tub. I found the cloth collector bag to be too porous so I use the bag as a filter/collector. Works quite well, though it took some improvising to seal a four inch hose to the top.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter SharonB's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ditto On This!

Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    We have been using the standard vacs supplied by national optronics on their dry edgers for out Optek generator. Recently we had one of them break down and rather than replace it with the same thing ($350), we decided to try a large capacity vac from Home Depot ($179). (I'd have to double check the brand, but I think it was Shop Vac). I went for the one that claims to be quieter. We have been very pleased with it. The surfacing staff felt it was so quiet and more effective in trapping the dust than the old ones. PM me if you want the exact model number.
    Hubby runs a shop in the basement - when he made this exact change I can now nap upstairs while he's working! (What's wrong with this picture?).

Thread Information