Thread: relocation ....

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

relocation ....

times are tough and rents are high as ever, we are located in a mall and loction is been at the same spot for 10 yrs, I'm considring relocation in a strip mall and try to give it another go for a fresh start, I'm just curious to know what are the pro and cons if any of you have moved in the past? I'd still like to stay in the area so my customers would'nt have to travel far. Your input would be appreciated.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I relocated from retail strip to semi-professional office building. The pro's are that you can improve your office design and adjust your square footage to your liking. The cons are the build-out costs, the potential loss of patients from the change, and the devil you don't know.

Visibility is everything, so you'd have to trade up in that regard.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We went from a mall to strip mall 7 yrs ago. Best move we ever made. But it was within 1/5 mile so visibility is key.

What you could potentially save in rent will ease costs of build out.
    Most malls also require certain hours, so you'll have flexibility too.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just lost out lease after 7 years (building was sold and they are taking all the units for their use)

We are moving into a strip 90 yards away, but its' from a professional setting to a mixed retail (Save-A-Lot, barbers, restaurants, realtors, etc...) I'm not happy, but am planning on really doing the new place up right with all leather seating, a coffee service, video screens, and other bells and whistles. It will be 500 more sq ft, so we can put even more frames in, as well as a roomier lab.

Again, not happy about it, but I plan on making the best of it...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Mmmm...coffee...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i'm so shocked and disappointed with the CBC segment it feels like i got kicked in the grion when i was down, seems opticianry can't catch a break, feels like i've hit a dead end!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Your alternatives depend on your patient focus and base, not only where you have been but where you want to be. If you depend on walk-in walk-by traffic location and visability is everything. If you are medically focused with MD referals, a location in a medical building could be a good choice. Over all, it could be a huge benefit in the long run.

I do suggest sending out 2 notices to all your patients, a letter with a "fridge magnet" with your new address the week of the move (have it ready to go ahead of time) and a post card 2 months later. You may also swing a deal with the landlord to keep a notice in the window for a set amount of time, telling patients of your new location. You may also want to get friendly with your neighbors so they know where you are going too (free sunglasses will ensure they know where you are, and could get your notice posted for a few months).

Its not that you move, its how you manage it that matters most.

Quote Originally Posted by charan View Post
    times are tough and rents are high as ever, we are located in a mall and loction is been at the same spot for 10 yrs, I'm considring relocation in a strip mall and try to give it another go for a fresh start, I'm just curious to know what are the pro and cons if any of you have moved in the past? I'd still like to stay in the area so my customers would'nt have to travel far. Your input would be appreciated.

Thread Information