Thread: Contemplating Optometry school. Seeking advice

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Contemplating Optometry school. Seeking advice

I've been in optics for a decade, ABO certified, worked for a couple chains and 1 independent doing both opticianry and lab.

I'm a little underwhelmed by the knowledge of *some* Optometrists and am positive that I would be able to handle the curriculum and would make a fine OD.

My question is - is it worth it? It seems like I would basically have to work for one of the chains and it does seem like it is pretty expensive to go to school for 4 more years. I'm married with a kid and don't think I'd qualify for student loans, so I have to assume I'll be paying out of pocket. Financially, I should be able to make it work, but of course my free time/family time would become nonexistent.

I'm in my early 30s. Wifey is fine with the decision and understands things will be rough for a few years.

Thoughts?

Also, I thought this was funny - http://www.optoblog.com/2007/01/21/d...n-optometrist/

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Do you have the prerequisites to gain admittance? Something that you may want to look at. If you don't, then you could be looking at adding another couple of years before crossing your fingers and gaining admittance. As far as going into any career, I don't think it matters what it is, if you love it, then you will find a way to make money.

If you are going into optometry because you think the risk is low and the money is great and the hours are short, then you may want to talk to some people who started a private practice in the last 10 years. Its just the opposite. If you work for the chains, and punch out eye exams all day, and sell contacts, that might be true. But its harder to get a WalMart store than you might think. But if you're good (meaning good biz sense), you'll eventually get one.

Reason I brought this up is because I was looking for official news on the 1-800 contacts kiosks and ran across this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/arch...p/t-34074.html
    Last edited by AustinEyewear; 02-12-2012 at 11:46 AM.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Go for it if it is you passion or you will always wonder "What if".
    Read the blog and I think you could find the same description in most fields, someone who hates what they do.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would say that it is not worth it!

Do you not like what you are doing now?

How would becoming an optometrist change that?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The optometrist I work with regrets his decision. We work for a crank em out chain and he puts in 48 hours a week in a dark and hot little room. However if you are willing to put up with the long hours it's a good income. As for private practice, I would love to work for an optom who used to be an optician and understands both sides of the business.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    The optometrist I work with regrets his decision. We work for a crank em out chain and he puts in 48 hours a week in a dark and hot little room. However if you are willing to put up with the long hours it's a good income. As for private practice, I would love to work for an optom who used to be an optician and understands both sides of the business.
    You would be more accurate by saying "understands ANOTHER aspect of the business". BOTH implies that is all there is to it. There is so much more.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinEyewear View Post
    You would be more accurate by saying "understands ANOTHER aspect of the business". BOTH implies that is all there is to it. There is so much more.....
    That would have been a better way to put it yes.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks for the excellent replies.

I guess I'm always looking for a new challenge and feel like I've basically plateaued.

I make a decent living, so I'm not complaining about my current situation. The hours don't seem to be very good for any of us.

With the proliferation of big chains and rock bottom prices it does seem like optometrists will have to work harder and receive less, but wouldn't that also apply to lab techs and opticians?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    That would have been a better way to put it yes.
    I should have added that you are right, its nice to work with someone who can appreciate what goes on in optical

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantrill View Post
    Thanks for the excellent replies.

I guess I'm always looking for a new challenge and feel like I've basically plateaued.

I make a decent living, so I'm not complaining about my current situation. The hours don't seem to be very good for any of us.

With the proliferation of big chains and rock bottom prices it does seem like optometrists will have to work harder and receive less, but wouldn't that also apply to lab techs and opticians?
    The way the entire US is going, it doesn't matter what field you're in. Longer hours, less pay. The easy days or yore seem to be gone. When ever I hear a politician talk about "how Wal*mart has done so much good for this country, for example brought cheap big screen TV's to the masses" I chuckle. Yeah, that's what the masses need....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Optometrists who are (not were) Opticians make amazing OD's. I have one OD friend that went your route, never worked at chain as on OD, opened his own practice 5 years ago and is THRIVING! ($1.5 million last year) The practice is amazing, because he knows what its like to dispense and troubleshoot eyewear. And did I say they did it without VSP? In a city hit hard by the recession?

drk on Optiboard also worked as an Optician and in a lab before becoming an OD, he has some of the best posts on the board as a result.

I vote yes!

PS Whatever you do, don't go to Berkeley though

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    Optometrists who are (not were) Opticians make amazing OD's. I have one OD friend that went your route, never worked at chain as on OD, opened his own practice 5 years ago and is THRIVING! ($1.5 million last year) The practice is amazing, because he knows what its like to dispense and troubleshoot eyewear. And did I say they did it without VSP? In a city hit hard by the recession?

drk on Optiboard also worked as an Optician and in a lab before becoming an OD, he has some of the best posts on the board as a result.

I vote yes!

PS Whatever you do, don't go to Berkeley though
    Wow, that is great sharpstick. He must be performing ancient Chinese tortures on his patients until they sucumb to buying two pair and then proceeds to burn their Rx before they leave the store. Please PM me his address so I can build a place next door and also so I can send Obama his address to make sure he is paying his FARE SHAIR!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, that is great sharpstick. He must be performing ancient Chinese tortures on his patients until they sucumb to buying two pair and then proceeds to burn their Rx before they leave the store. Please PM me his address so I can build a place next door and also so I can send Obama his address to make sure he is paying his FARE SHAIR!
    Sooo....you're upset that someone has found success??? Or are you just angry at the President? Or just angry?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Actually Austin, he simply offers incredible service, has the top ranking in Yelp, and people drive for a hour to find very cool eye wear. He does pay his taxes, yes. And he takes his entire well paid staff to either Paris or Milan for a week every year (half goes to each show).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    The way the entire US is going, it doesn't matter what field you're in. Longer hours, less pay. The easy days or yore seem to be gone. When ever I hear a politician talk about "how Wal*mart has done so much good for this country, for example brought cheap big screen TV's to the masses" I chuckle. Yeah, that's what the masses need....
    Soylent Panasonic

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by TLG View Post
    Sooo....you're upset that someone has found success??? Or are you just angry at the President? Or just angry?
    Sorry Tony, I guess sarcasm doesn't come across the internet very well. I should have put one of those rolling laugh icons on there too.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow, that is great sharpstick. He must be performing ancient Chinese tortures on his patients until they sucumb to buying two pair and then proceeds to burn their Rx before they leave the store.

You seem to be preoccupied with current trends, the competition around you, and other outside forces. If you are the best at what you do, and really enjoy doing it, people (customers and staff) will flock to your practice, and the money will follow.

You can't MAKE anyone buy one pair, let alone two pair from your office, nor can you keep them from shopping around simply by limiting access to their Rx. Educate them, and they'll buy. Give them the Rx, let them shop, and if you're good they'll come back.

After 3 Saturdays in a row with record numbers of customers, we just hired two more part-time opticians to work the floor. This past Saturday, between 8AM and 1PM, we had 9 eye exams scheduled. We saw 57 people, and sold 31 pr. of glasses. We had a family tell us that they'd come back when we weren't so busy. Most of the Rxs that we filled were from chain store ODs and ODs that have their own dispensaries. They probably think their patients are going online. They're not...they're coming to our office. This is all in an office that's 1200 sq ft. Not very big. We did more revenue in 5 hours, than my slowest store does in 2 weeks. Why? because my staff (myself included) loves what they do, have a great time doing it, and makes the customers feel great to be there.

If you've reached a plateau being an optician, ask yourself why. Is it because of where you work, how you work, or for whom you work? Is it because of your co-workers? Maybe it's time to open your own place and make it the best place in town. Don't worry about the internet. Anything you can buy in a store you can buy online, but Apple stores are still some of the most profitable in the world. Don't worry about the big boxes. McDonald's isn't putting steak houses out of business.

Maybe you're just burnt out on optics. If that's the case, find something you're passionate about and start doing that (after you find a way to make money doing it). Just because the ODs you know don't seem knowledgeable, and you could make it through the program doesn't mean you should do it. You should do it because you've always wanted to, or because you really enjoy refracting.

To be honest, many of the ODs that I've worked with, have, at one time or another,expressed to me their a certain remorse at their career choices. Some thought it would be more challenging, while others thought there would it would be more lucrative. Others were disappointed that they were relegated to working in a mall, eating their meals in food courts. One of my best friends quit to go into IOL sales, and is loving it.

30 years old is young enough to do anything you want. (Actually so is 48!) I would really take a long look at your motivation before seriously considering any change.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    30 years old is young enough to do anything you want. (Actually so is 48!) I would really take a long look at your motivation before seriously considering any change.
    Thanks Johns - might be great advice for the person who started this thread. I couldn't help but think of this Seinfeld scene

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    You seem to be preoccupied with current trends, the competition around you, and other outside forces. If you are the best at what you do, and really enjoy doing it, people (customers and staff) will flock to your practice, and the money will follow.

You can't MAKE anyone buy one pair, let alone two pair from your office, nor can you keep them from shopping around simply by limiting access to their Rx. Educate them, and they'll buy. Give them the Rx, let them shop, and if you're good they'll come back.

After 3 Saturdays in a row with record numbers of customers, we just hired two more part-time opticians to work the floor. This past Saturday, between 8AM and 1PM, we had 9 eye exams scheduled. We saw 57 people, and sold 31 pr. of glasses. We had a family tell us that they'd come back when we weren't so busy. Most of the Rxs that we filled were from chain store ODs and ODs that have their own dispensaries. They probably think their patients are going online. They're not...they're coming to our office. This is all in an office that's 1200 sq ft. Not very big. We did more revenue in 5 hours, than my slowest store does in 2 weeks. Why? because my staff (myself included) loves what they do, have a great time doing it, and makes the customers feel great to be there.

If you've reached a plateau being an optician, ask yourself why. Is it because of where you work, how you work, or for whom you work? Is it because of your co-workers? Maybe it's time to open your own place and make it the best place in town. Don't worry about the internet. Anything you can buy in a store you can buy online, but Apple stores are still some of the most profitable in the world. Don't worry about the big boxes. McDonald's isn't putting steak houses out of business.

Maybe you're just burnt out on optics. If that's the case, find something you're passionate about and start doing that (after you find a way to make money doing it). Just because the ODs you know don't seem knowledgeable, and you could make it through the program doesn't mean you should do it. You should do it because you've always wanted to, or because you really enjoy refracting.

To be honest, many of the ODs that I've worked with, have, at one time or another,expressed to me their a certain remorse at their career choices. Some thought it would be more challenging, while others thought there would it would be more lucrative. Others were disappointed that they were relegated to working in a mall, eating their meals in food courts. One of my best friends quit to go into IOL sales, and is loving it.

Johns, You Rock.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    To be clear, I WISH I had the knowledge of working in a lab. I've only "hung out" in a few. As to opticianry, I learned a lot in OD school, but I will say I've learned an equal amount from you all here on Steve's playground.

Optometry's a worthwhile profession, but it's getting awfully crowded and it's awfully expensive...

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I would say don't do it. If you are content with your current position in life, keep with it. You have your family. Watch your kids grow up while you can.

Scan job postings on the AOA, schools of optometry, etc...the majority of job listings are Walmart, Costco, etc. It's amazing the amount of money you have to pay, the amount of hard academic work you put in, to end up working in a mall or near the check out aisles of a retail store really doesn't seem worth it. Factor in the diminishing reimbursements and headaches from 3rd party payers, and the squeeze of online, and it is a profession which had it's peak in the 80's.

The other thing is that for how many senior optometrists there are, there are relatively few practice for sale postings. Most are outdated, and over-inflated. Now don't get me wrong, you may stumble into a gem...but they are few and far between.

The older OD's had it made. School tuition was substantially less, there was little to no 3rd party insurers, and they worked alot less (ie seeing fewer patients while making the same amount of money). I wouldn't talk to any senior OD's about your situation...they cannot relate. Also there is a great divide between older and younger OD's. I'm not sure exactly where the demarcation line is, but it is somewhere around of 50+. This is where the optically trained OD's with relatively little medical eye health knowledge are found (it is scary that some of these guys are still practicing). Now most curriculum centers on medical knowledge of the eye and systemic disease...

The only positive thing I can say about school is I met my wife there...and we both cringe every month those high student loan payments are due.

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    FWIW- One of my doc's biggest issue is in the winter especially spending all day in the dark.

Also the new EMR requirements are driving us nucking futs!

That reminds me to start another thread about the program we're using...

Thread Information