Thread: I don't really have an excuse. . .

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I don't really have an excuse. . .

It's taken me four weeks to feel comfortable doing this, but for some reason I've been holding on to this news. I was let go from the office where I'd worked for four years. It was really painful, and I was confused, and kind of blind-sided at the time. But I've had a lot of time to think, and God has been dealing with my heart, and I'm okay. I don't know why it took me this long to be able to tell you all in this public forum, but I've kind of felt a little paranoid since that ghost posting a few weeks ago. Anyway, that was my big news, and the explanation behind my post in the "Only Four Words" thread.

Strider and I are gonna be okay. We're carrying two households' worth of mortgages and utilities (we bought a house last summer, and we still have the old one that's still for sale), and it's going to be tight until it sells (which isn't likely in this season; nothing is moving right now), but we've already been blessed in a couple of ways. So things are good.

I'm not looking for sympathy from anyone, but I know there are lots of honest, caring people on this board. We are all real people with common interests. I'm glad I still have this site to come visit.

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Nice to finally get it off your chest, isn't it? It's like the dread of telling your parents you got an F, and being relieved after. You'll be ok. Whether you stay in optics, or move on to something else, you're always welcome at OB.
    Good luck with whatever you do.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh what a relief it is!

Thank you for sharing!

Hang in there!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The higher power never slams the door without opening a window first. All will be well.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's hard not to take losing your job personal, but don't. It's a business decision, and probably not a good one at that, but you happened to be in the wrong position at the wrong time. People like me and other Optiboarders are always looking for good people like you. Keep your face out there, in front of people that will recognize what an asset you can be to their organization, and you'll be back to work in no time.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sometimes a job just isn't a good fit. Something similar happened to me many years ago and I was so upset. But it worked out for the best because I found a better job where I was much happier and it was even closer to my home.

I hope you will find your better job soon.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What Johns said.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What 24/7 said Johns said, and also Happylady had some great points. What I mean is, it will all work out, and you will be better off than before.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I sincerely hope it will work out. It seems that's the way of things.Sometimes a bad event can be a trigger for a series of some positive change. We all have our challenges to work through. Like tempered steel may we all become.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sorry for the stress in your life right now, and I'm sure that things will work out in time. We are all sending you good thoughts, and hoping for a new chapter to begin soon.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You don't need an excuse. Hang in there.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've been "let go" a few times. Their loss really and it always led to better things though I didn't know it at the time. It's hard not to take it personally but don't. There are jobs out there for opticians if that is what you want. I was emailed two just yesterday and I'm not even looking.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Keep on keeping on. Four years at your last job looks good at the top of your resume, at least...
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So sorry to hear about this Elizabeth. Hang in there, keep your face out in the public. You will come out of this better than ever. If you are already looking, contact your local labs, they always know who is looking for a good Optician. PM me, for any other advice.
    I came, I saw, I left

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    And sometimes the labs themselves are looking for good opticians. At the very least, who better to inspect the work?

Good luck in the search.
    There are rules. Knowing those are easy. There are exceptions to the rules. Knowing those are easy. Knowing when to use them is slightly less easy. There are exceptions to the exceptions. Knowing those is a little more tricky, and know when to use those is even more so. Our industry is FULL of all of the above.

Thread Information