Thread: Are you selling many of the new deeper frames?

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Are you selling many of the new deeper frames?

I'm starting to see people interested in bigger and especially deeper frames. It's mainly the younger crowd but some trendy middle aged people. I am also selling mostly plastics to people under the age of 30 and a lot of plastics for all age groups.

However, most of our sales are not the extra deep frames...yet. But it's coming.

How about you? What are you selling? And what are you wearing yourself?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I see a ton of girls near the University wearing Sally Jesse glasses, if its not your hood it will be soon.

OptiBoard Apprentice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I just got the SALT Cooper. It felt enormous at first, but I am excited to see some change.

Check it out:

http://www.saltoptics.com/detail.php?id=141&pageindex=12&categoryid=1&orderby=3

• aBBerated

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I see a ton of girls near the University wearing Sally Jesse glasses, if its not your hood it will be soon.

What goes around comes around......Time to pull out all of my NOS !!!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Good for PALs.....................................

Back to deeper frames, will be a much better solution for all the PAL fanatics among opticians, as well as consumers who were walking and working with half cut off reading segs on their PALs for the last many years.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Back to deeper frames, will be a much better solution for all the PAL fanatics among opticians, as well as consumers who were walking and working with half cut off reading segs on their PALs for the last many years.
    It may surprise you Chris, but I am seeing a lot of non-adapts in the larger frames because now people can't find thier reading, its down farther than they are used to, esp with Auto II's Variable and Zeiss Individuals.

The general rule is to give your patient as much corridor as possible, but...
    If the patient has low add power and got used to their small frame, there is a case for keeping them in a short corridor progressive.
    High Myopes WANT a shorter corridor, because that prism moves the virtual lens far lower.

So most patients will benefit from the bigger frames, however, we will have to keep an eye out with low add powers, high myopes, and avoid using variable corridor lenses in larger frames.

Master OptiBoarder Striderswife's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actually had more success fitting PALs in the shorter frames. Less searching for the reading portion. Less distortion in the peripheral.

The larger frames started coming back in style about 18 months ago here. Right around back-to-school time in 2010, it was. In my opinion, I think we had Taylor Swift to thank for that, and her video for "You Belong to Me." I fought it for a long time, then figured out why. I realized I'm not old enough for a style I wore to be back in style! Then I realized, yes, I am that old.​ But honestly, to me, there is nothing flattering about as big and as round as you can find. Meh.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    It may surprise you Chris, but I am seeing a lot of non-adapts in the larger frames because now people can't find thier reading, its down farther than they are used to, esp with Auto II's Variable and Zeiss Individuals.

The general rule is to give your patient as much corridor as possible, but...
    If the patient has low add power and got used to their small frame, there is a case for keeping them in a short corridor progressive.
    High Myopes WANT a shorter corridor, because that prism moves the virtual lens far lower.

So most patients will benefit from the bigger frames, however, we will have to keep an eye out with low add powers, high myopes, and avoid using variable corridor lenses in larger frames.
    And keep in mind that the mature presbyope, who needs a full add, and then some, often prefers the short corridor...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    In my opinion, I think we had Taylor Swift to thank for that, and her video for "You Belong to Me."
    You mean this 3 year old song??????

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    And keep in mind that the mature presbyope, who needs a full add, and then some, often prefers the short corridor...
    Yes... fitting the right lens just became more of an art form. We will have to be more careful, ask more questions, and look more closely at our patients needs.

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have always needed deeper frames in our practice. Most of our patients between the ages of 50-90, and most of them want/need deeper "B"'s, especially the men. A lot of the women have now gotten used to seeing smaller frames on women around town and TV so they are easier to convert. And yes, I find keeping a shorter corridor works better EVEN in the larger frames. So, we are happy to see the larger frames come out!
    ~Follow Your Bliss~

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by David_Garza View Post
    You mean this 3 year old song??????

Yes, that's the one! In the center of the country, it takes several months or a year before trends actually become popular here.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I also prefer a shorter corridor lens but how does a short corridor work at heights of 22 and above?

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I also prefer a shorter corridor lens but how does a short corridor work at heights of 22 and above?

Awesome

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    Awesome
    I ask because I remember being told that the Varilux Ellipse doesn't work well in deeper frames and I wonder how other lenses work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The Ellipse didn't work in anything (in my personal opinion). I had one pair of glasses with that lens design and hated it at the computer.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I ask because I remember being told that the Varilux Ellipse doesn't work well in deeper frames and I wonder how other lenses work.

The ellipse has a max fitting height.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I fit short for almost everyone. My shorts of choice are definity short, ID short, and the summit cd. I've only had one person non adapt to the definity.

As to the actual question, yes, women are wanting larger b plastics, but so are men. The new original penguin line is flying off our shelves, for both older and younger men.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post

The ellipse has a max fitting height.
    That's what has made me wonder about other short corridor lenses. I have a pair of Ellipse lenses and they are okay but not my favorite.

I use the Definity Short and Definity sometimes, the Short for 19 and less and the regular Definity for 20 and above. Would the Short be better above 20 then the regular Definity?

Some with Physio. I use the Physio Short (one of my favorite lenses) 18/19 and below and the regular Physio 19/20 and above.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    That's what has made me wonder about other short corridor lenses. I have a pair of Ellipse lenses and they are okay but not my favorite.

I use the Definity Short and Definity sometimes, the Short for 19 and less and the regular Definity for 20 and above. Would the Short be better above 20 then the regular Definity?

Some with Physio. I use the Physio Short (one of my favorite lenses) 18/19 and below and the regular Physio 19/20 and above.
    I just dispensed a Definity short fit at 24. She loved them. Finding the reading was no problem and she was able to connect quite easily with the groundview aspect. I don't like the Physio lenses. If we're going to put someone into a more expensive lens type we'll use a different company. That being said I've fit about 12 Freedom shorts with fantastic results. From the results I've seen when dispensing new lenses everyone seems happier with the more moderately priced E product.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

love it

I wear a huge pair of Gucci's and make the sales all day long. Our practice is very conservative, and people of all ages love the trend, I hope it stays!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Striderswife View Post
    Yes, that's the one! In the center of the country, it takes several months or a year before trends actually become popular here.

You think THAT"S bad? The Annie Hall look just made it here!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Out here in the sticks it's hard to get people (women especially) to switch to a larger frame since it took just as long to get them in a smaller one. I wear a large frame now and though I'm still not used to the look of it I love the way the lens works. I do wear a short corridor, the Zeiss GT23D.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    For us it's less about the larger frames becoming more prevalent as it is the smallest frames no longer selling strongly. A lot of mid-range frames with somewhat larger Bs are moving, but only occasionally are we seeing the huge ones--and all to teenagers and college kids.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Thread Information