Thread: Topcon CV-5000. Any comments?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Topcon CV-5000. Any comments?

Hello Forum:

I am thinking of purchasing a Topcon CV-5000 computerized refraction system. I hear mixed reviews about its performance, but positive reviews on the "WOW" factor. Can anyone give some feedback regarding their experiences with the functionality of it? How does it compare to other systems, like the Marco Epic 5100?

Thank you!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I've been using the CV-5000 for the past 7 months in my new practice. Overall my experience is positive but it doesn't give quite the WOW that I was hoping to receive. If I just use it without comment, most patients make no comment about it. I find that I have to point out the benefits to the patient for them to give a wow comment.

Me: "Now you should be seeing double. You're still going to tell me which looks clearer, but the cool thing is that you get to see both options at the same time."
    Patient: "oh, thats really cool"

The other neat feature is that you can compare new vs. old Rx with one touch of a button, which of course makes it easier for patients to appreciate a change in their Rx.

I have no experience with the Marco unit so I cannot make comparisons.

Overall I'm a bit mixed about it considering the price is around $17,000 if I recall. Its cool, but is it $13,000 cooler than a manual phoropter?

Joe

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I used the Topcon system for almost one year before I switched to Marco due to some problems I was having with the Topcon. I now have 4 Marco TRS autophoropters and I love them! I never would have believed all the differences between the two without having experienced both. The list of differences is too long to list here but if you email privately or leave your phone number I would be happy to go in to detail. Just a couple examples though: to do phorias on the Topcon I had to go through about 5 steps where I only have to push one button on the Marco, the Topcon was so noisy it made my patients jump and the Marco is not, I can jump between habitual Rx, manifest, autorefractor reading and a fourth Rx of my choice with a push of one button and this was definitely not the case with the Topcon.

Autophoropters in general have a great WOW factor and cut down on your exam time by at least 3-4 minutes. Especially great if using electronic medical records because all the data from autorefractor, autolensmeter and every detail of your refraction is automatically dumped into the right place in the patient's electronic record. Definitely worth the cost in my opinion.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Ophthalmologist
    i am confused which is better, cv5000 s or pro or rt5100, can you please state or email me which is better?

Thread Information