Thread: Is anyone experiencing delays on orders or poor quality do to Davis Vision strike?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Angry Is anyone experiencing delays on orders or poor quality do to Davis Vision strike?

I have been hearing complaints from providers of Davis that orders are taking longer and there seems
    to be more quality issues than normal. Anyone else experiencing this?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No.

Don't you have anything else to talk about other than Davis?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Not really. Yes, they take longer than any of my own labs, and yes, the quality is poorer. That's not an appreciable change from before the strike, honestly.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Yes... to the point that they are allowing us to edge our own products from our traditional (non-Davis) sources.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Hello all! I have not posted in years but I thought I would share my Davis story.

My customer ordered his glasses 1-17-2012, progressives with AR and we told him at the time that we had to use the Davis lab and it could take ten days to two weeks to get his order back. Flash forward 2 weeks and the customer is calling us cussing at us and hanging up on us because his eyewear is not back from Davis. Needless to say he does not care where his glasses are coming from, he is just blaming us for the delay. I emailed Davis Jan. 30th - no response, I called Feb. 1st and waited on hold for 20 min. and was told he only ordered his glasses on the 17th and they would ship the 7th or 8th of Feb. No sympathy from Davis and they did not care that their customer was very upset. Wednesday the 8th I received a UPS package from Davis that should have had the customer's eyewear but the box was completely empty. I called Davis waited on hold another 20 min. and finally got a person that seemed somewhat interested in my problem and he said he would rush the job to me and I would have it in TEN days. The person I spoke with did not ask me what he could do for me or apologize but I told him that Davis should contact the patinet and explain the problem because I am tired of getting yelled at.

Quality service that I am on the hook for.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I heard something about a group of OD's in GA that sued Spectera for poor service from their labs that adversely affected the reputation of their practices.
    90% of everything is crap...except for crap, because crap is 100% crap

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DNICKELLII View Post
    Hello all! I have not posted in years but I thought I would share my Davis story.

My customer ordered his glasses 1-17-2012, progressives with AR and we told him at the time that we had to use the Davis lab and it could take ten days to two weeks to get his order back. Flash forward 2 weeks and the customer is calling us cussing at us and hanging up on us because his eyewear is not back from Davis. Needless to say he does not care where his glasses are coming from, he is just blaming us for the delay. I emailed Davis Jan. 30th - no response, I called Feb. 1st and waited on hold for 20 min. and was told he only ordered his glasses on the 17th and they would ship the 7th or 8th of Feb. No sympathy from Davis and they did not care that their customer was very upset. Wednesday the 8th I received a UPS package from Davis that should have had the customer's eyewear but the box was completely empty. I called Davis waited on hold another 20 min. and finally got a person that seemed somewhat interested in my problem and he said he would rush the job to me and I would have it in TEN days. The person I spoke with did not ask me what he could do for me or apologize but I told him that Davis should contact the patinet and explain the problem because I am tired of getting yelled at.

Quality service that I am on the hook for.
    Wow, I have heard many Davis Vision horror stories but that takes the cake.

There is a huge danger in any insurance company that requires you to use thier own lab. They don't have much of an incentive to get the job out, they have in a sense already received the money for the job in premiums. Obviously, not a very smart or well managed company.

For every job you wait you will regrettably look bad to your patients. Not only do you have a lot of stress, you lose any referals, and its not your fault. One office gave every patient a choice between paying out of network or waiting 3-6 weeks for their Davis lenses. Most of their patients payed for thier lenses out of network, and one's that didn't at least made thier own choice.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by DNICKELLII View Post
    Welcome back!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Thanks for the welcome Sharpstick777! I have an update for my Davis situation. Yesterday 2-16-12 I received a UPS package that should have had my patient's glasses in it. I opened the package and found uncut lenses. Why I was sent uncuts is beyond me as I ordered the job complete and I don't have an onsite lab. I called Davis waited on hold, spoke to a person and was told sorry we will reorder and get them out to you ASAP (meaning ten days). I again stated my displeasure at the situation and again asked Davis to contact the customer to explain their mistakes. It was only after getting off the phone and taking a closer look at the lenses I recieved that I noticed they were not even the lenses for my patient. My patient ordered Poly Sola Max with AR and what I received was a Varilux 1.67 Transition with AR that was not even close to my patein's RX. It seems that Davis is also screwing up some other office and patient somewhere else in addition to me and my patient.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I can beat that. A couple years ago, I was getting Davis jobs with two lenses for two different patients in them. Different as in, one progressive clear and one SV Transitions. Happened twice in a month.
    I'm Andrew Hamm and I approve this message.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    okay, so who here doesn't already know that Davis sucks????
    Move along nothing new here......

Thread Information