Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567

Thread: My Antique Spectacle Collection

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The top pair were given to me by a friend.

I acquired the collection over about 30 years of my almost 43 years on this planet. Some came from friends, some from eBay, and most from antique stores and auctions.

I grew bored with the collection and had a bit of an epiphany. I sold the whole collection and have moved on with my obsessions!
    First I bought vintage to wear. Then I decided since I loved the medium I'd like to design myself. Collecting then became a matter of teaching myself all I could about design precedent in eyewear. I saw there were really no good references, which led to doing the book. At that point I decided to be as complete as possible in what I acquired.

It's a shame you sold because it was a nice collection. I think the old iron pieces were the coolest. I'm tempted to ask you which obsessions you've moved on to!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    It's a shame you sold because it was a nice collection. I think the old iron pieces were the coolest. I'm tempted to ask you which obsessions you've moved on to!

Moss,

I have always admired people who work with their hands. Their is something comforting to have something that you know is handmade. I appreciate the craftsmanship involved with making of "something". I have moved on to custom bushcraft knives. The simplicity of the tool and intricacy of working the various materials to produce a functional and beautiful knife intrigues me. I would love to have the skill to "make" something. At one time, I thought that it would be eyewear. I don't have that desire anymore. Your story and work may inspire me again!

Thank you for your contribution.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Moss,

I have always admired people who work with their hands. Their is something comforting to have something that you know is handmade. I appreciate the craftsmanship involved with making of "something". I have moved on to custom bushcraft knives. The simplicity of the tool and intricacy of working the various materials to produce a functional and beautiful knife intrigues me. I would love to have the skill to "make" something. At one time, I thought that it would be eyewear. I don't have that desire anymore. Your story and work may inspire me again!

Thank you for your contribution.
    I actually produce the bulk of my things in a factory. Making things is nice, too. How custom do they get?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Moss View Post
    I actually produce the bulk of my things in a factory. Making things is nice, too. How custom do they get?

They can run the gamut really. Some allow you to pick the steel used, handle material, blade shape, thickness, sheath design, etc. Some produce their artistic view and put it out for sale and if you like it, you try and snatch it up. That seems to be the growing trend. Many of the builders have 3-5 year waiting lists and have closed their order books. I am on several makers list. One maker had closed his books, worked for a year or two to get caught up on orders, and reopened for a very short window. I was lucky enough to grab a spot on the list.

I was in a few auction/sales last night that worked that way. One knife, I was seconds late on, another I got out bid on, and the third accepted my bid overnight and I paid him right away around 3:00 AM. I always set a dollar amount that I am willing to bid up to or offer and stick to it.

Like many things in life, often the chase is much more thrilling than the kill!

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    They can run the gamut really. Some allow you to pick the steel used, handle material, blade shape, thickness, sheath design, etc. Some produce their artistic view and put it out for sale and if you like it, you try and snatch it up. That seems to be the growing trend. Many of the builders have 3-5 year waiting lists and have closed their order books. I am on several makers list. One maker had closed his books, worked for a year or two to get caught up on orders, and reopened for a very short window. I was lucky enough to grab a spot on the list.

I was in a few auction/sales last night that worked that way. One knife, I was seconds late on, another I got out bid on, and the third accepted my bid overnight and I paid him right away around 3:00 AM. I always set a dollar amount that I am willing to bid up to or offer and stick to it.

Like many things in life, often the chase is much more thrilling than the kill!
    I know. Today's blog post is about an eBay acquisition of some Elton John sunglasses:

http://theeyewearblog.com/the-time-i...ses-from-ebay/

I focus more on the auction process in this post. I actually scored a 16th Century minifier on eBay as well:

http://theeyewearblog.com/how-to-buy...lasses-ebay-1/

I wanted to link you to this place:

http://www.lorenzi.it/

...and sadly find out it's closed. It was one of the best knife and cutlery stores in the world. Incredible things; even Damascus steel golf heads.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

60's & 70's vintage

I was helping clean my Mom's attic a few weeks ago and we ran across this box of opti-goodies. She was Dept. Chief of Dispensing Instruction at UHCO back in the 60's and 70's. Some of the stuff we found...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage3.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	13.8 KB 
ID:	10956

You'd put the chain over your ears, the ball's weight kept them up. ( plus they dangled like earrings below the ear!)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails vintage1.jpg  

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Attachment 10958

CR39 lenticulars in an AO frame.
    Attachment 10959

Safilo UFO 111

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Attachment 10960

PD Lite. Mono PD measuring frame.

Attachment 10961

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Attachment 10962

Swank USA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	no spoon.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	10963
    There is no spoon
    Just ran across this post, thanks for sharing all this stuff! We need to, collectively, bring the pince-nezz style back into high fashion.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chaoticneutral View Post
    We need to, collectively, bring the pince-nezz style back into high fashion.

This guy is leading the pince-nez revolution!

http://pincenez1.blogspot.com/

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    I've actually got a pince nez with temples, if you can imagine such a thing.

I'll have to post them.

Thread Information