Thread: What a mess

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What a mess

Just worked with a patient who had her glasses made at a discount optical, who picked up her glasses yesterday and couldn't see out of one lens. She was told to go back to her doctor, and the procedure we follow is for an optician to read the glasses and make sure they were made correctly before we waste the doctor's time by having a recheck.

So I took her old glasses, which she saw fine out of, and her new ones and started my evaluation. We always mark up both pair when they are progressives and record the brand, the material, base curve, pd's and seg ht's for obvious reasons.

And here is when in went down hill. The old pair had no progressive markings. None. When I asked her if we made them, she says, "Well I got them on the internet." Ok fine, I don't care, at least she can see out of them, but now I can't mark them up and give a true reading. Whatever, I get the exact same reading I did back in November when I read them before her exam.

Next I mark up the new ones. Go to my progressive identifier book and of course, can not find one iota of info on them. So now I don't know where they are supposed to sit, are they on the 180, 2 above, 4? WTF, it's too early for this, but ok, I assume they are 4 above like the majority. Fine.

So I look back in our records, because her other issue is that her new written RX is so much different from last years. Her internet glasses, which she sees ok with, are off on the cyl by .75. So her new rx is very similar to that rx since she sees 20/25 out of the wrong internet glasses. Her new discount chain glasses? 90 degrees off in her left eye.

WHAT A MESS! After I explained the whole situation to her, starting with her internet glasses, she finally said, "I should have come here. My friend told me they have the same products at XYZ, but cheaper."

I'm not saying that we have never made a mistake, but the likelyhood that she would have recieved her glasses 90 degrees off with a no name progressive is pretty low.

Just felt like sharing, since this one patient pretty much summed up the trouble that can arise from 'cheap' glasses. We sell plenty of inexpensive glasses, but at least you get my whole staff to service your glasses for the rest of the life of our practice. How can people not see the value in that?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by optilady1 View Post
    How can people not see the value in that?
    Because we do a poor job of educating not only our patients, but the public at large.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper One of the most common errors in the optical..................

a 90 degree off axis on a weak cylinder, has forever been the most natural and common mistake in an optical lab, it has happened in the best of them, and then passed through all sorts of checks and nobody discovered it. I dont think that this is a designation for on-line opticals.
    Chris Ryser

http://optochemicals.com............................. http://arcoatings.com

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I feel your pain...

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    but at least you get my whole staff to service your glasses for the rest of the life of our practice. How can people not see the value in that?
    Because....

the ONLY way your client will appreciate the value is when they DON'T have it. So you should look forward to them trying out the cheapies or online.

They'll come back in a "pre-qualified" long term customer.

B

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    but at least you get my whole staff to service your glasses for the rest of the life of our practice. How can people not see the value in that?
    Because....

the ONLY way your client will appreciate the value is when they DON'T have it. So you should look forward to them trying out the cheapies or online.

They'll come back in a "pre-qualified" long term customer.

B
    This is so true. Absolutely 100% of "Internet-gone-wrong" clients here become clients for
    life. Who listen, care, and end up the best cash pay customers of all.

The real Internet competition is direct to consumer, not el cheapo sites.

Thread Information