Thread: Question - Mass. licensed Optician

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Question - Mass. licensed Optician

Hello All,

I currently reside in Maine with my wife, who has been an optician here for 8 years. Maine is a non-licensed/non-registered state, and she has no formal education in the field (no ABO or NCLE because her employer won't pay for it), just the eight years of experience in her retail store.

I have an employment prospect down in Massachusetts. If we were to move, would she be able to jump right into an optician job in Massachusetts? I realize they're a licensed state but I've read that there may be waivers for the educational requirements.

She really is passionate about her job and loves to go to it every day. She makes a low wage, but I couldn't drag her away NOT to do what she loves doing. I'm just trying to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Why don't you call the Mass. Board and ask them. She could always work under a Dr. until she gets her license. If she decides to earn the ABOC and NCLEC, we can provide information about where to seek resources.

http://www.abo-ncle.org/
    Mass. Board of Registration of Dispensing Opticians
    Zane Skerry
    Div. of Registration
    239 Causeway St.
    Boston, MA 02114
    (617) 727-5339
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she wants to better herself, she needs the education/certification, anyway. She should pay for it herself. That being said, good luck. Mass is a great state.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the replies. I'll have to check with the Board. I'm just trying to do what is best for both of us.

Let me ask this: What is a typical wage/salary for an unlicensed optician? I understand it depends on locality, but I'm just looking for a rough figure. She insists that she would be making no more anywhere else. I know she loves her job but I don't believe that her wage reflects her service and dedication to her employer for the last 8 years. I've heard many people say that her shop is VERY relaxed, which is an intangible benefit for her, but love doesn't put food on the table, either.

Also, what would the lower end starting wage be for an unlicensed optician training in a licensed state?

Occupation
    That's still going to depend on location, environment, experience and credentials. I'm not familiar with Mass., but I'd hazard a guess that a non-optician (she's not an Optician in a licensing state without being licensed, get used to that; it's the law) with 8 years of experience and no credentials will make between $10-20/hr, depending on how well she can sell herself and how much she really knows.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am a former member of the MA board of Registration. It will go a long way in your favor to show up with certifications already in place. Then the only thing you will have to deal with is the time of formal apprenticeship required as well as passing the practical exam held twice a year. Unfortunately the way the law is written, apprenticeship time is granted from formal programs in other states but Maine has no such program. The board has the option of granting you credit for "time in" the industry but they don't have to give it to you which is why it will go a long way in your favor to show up with high grades on your ABO and NCLE certification. Most of what you need to know can be found in the rules and regs portion of the MA board's website. Good luck.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by hcjilson View Post
    I am a former member of the MA board of Registration. It will go a long way in your favor to show up with certifications already in place. Then the only thing you will have to deal with is the time of formal apprenticeship required as well as passing the practical exam held twice a year. Unfortunately the way the law is written, apprenticeship time is granted from formal programs in other states but Maine has no such program. The board has the option of granting you credit for "time in" the industry but they don't have to give it to you which is why it will go a long way in your favor to show up with high grades on your ABO and NCLE certification. Most of what you need to know can be found in the rules and regs portion of the MA board's website. Good luck.
    Wow, I really appreciate your insight. If I'm understanding you correctly, with prior experience, ABO/NCLE certifications (the basic ones, not master), and the apprentice time on the job in MA she MAY be able to obtain licensure? Are these paid apprenticeships under a licensed optician or optometrist easy to find? Also, what is the low-end or average optician salary in the greater Boston area?

I really appreciate everyone's input. I'm an outsider looking in, and this is all really confusing to me. She currently averages about $12.25 an hour including commissions. She is in informal training for promotion to assistant manager, which should give her a raise. I'm just trying to figure things out before I drag her away from a job (and employer) she loves.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks for the reply. So if I'm getting this straight, she may be permitted to be licensed after completing a paid apprenticeship under a licensed optician or optometrist and completing the basic (not master) ABO/NCLE certification exams? How easy are these apprenticeships to find?

Also, what is the low-end or average salary for a licensed optician in the greater Boston area?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she shows up before the board with ABO and NCLE in hand, the board may allow some, or all, of her time in ME to be credited toward apprenticeship. Should that be the case she would then be eligible to take the practical exam, which will lead to licensure.I cannot speak for the current board concerning their feelings on this matter. The 28 years I spent on the board found us all willing to be reasonable concerning apprenticeship requests. I have done a 360 concerning apprenticeship. I came up through that program and now I have become a strong believer that it should be scrapped in favor of a formal education program leading to an associates degree or higher. I believe that is the only way this profession will grow and evolve into something more than order takers or "sales associates"
    Lord Byron

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    If she shows up before the board with ABO and NCLE in hand, the board may allow some, or all, of her time in ME to be credited toward apprenticeship. Should that be the case she would then be eligible to take the practical exam, which will lead to licensure.I cannot speak for the current board concerning their feelings on this matter. The 28 years I spent on the board found us all willing to be reasonable concerning apprenticeship requests. I have done a 360 concerning apprenticeship. I came up through that program and now I have become a strong believer that it should be scrapped in favor of a formal education program leading to an associates degree or higher. I believe that is the only way this profession will grow and evolve into something more than order takers or "sales associates"
    Okay. I'll let her know that. If you don't mind me asking, assuming all goes perfect in regard to the above, what could she expect for salary as a newly licensed optician in Mass? Are many shops salary only or salary plus commission? Thanks in advance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Optician's Husband View Post
    Okay. I'll let her know that. If you don't mind me asking, assuming all goes perfect in regard to the above, what could she expect for salary as a newly licensed optician in Mass? Are many shops salary only or salary plus commission? Thanks in advance.
    I am mostly retired and would have no idea even if I were working. As an employer I was always more interested in the employee who went to work for whatever the job paid and made it into something more lucrative, than the employee who was looking for salary plus. That's just me, you'll have to nose around but my guess is that you won't find the info you're looking for easily. Every employer is different.
    PS I always included a 90 day performance review as part of the package. The employer has certain expectations and if they are properly set out at the beginning they can be monitored and compensation tied to performance, but the first 90 days are on the house as it were.
    Lord Byron

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I am mostly retired and would have no idea even if I were working. As an employer I was always more interested in the employee who went to work for whatever the job paid and made it into something more lucrative, than the employee who was looking for salary plus. That's just me, you'll have to nose around but my guess is that you won't find the info you're looking for easily. Every employer is different.
    PS I always included a 90 day performance review as part of the package. The employer has certain expectations and if they are properly set out at the beginning they can be monitored and compensation tied to performance, but the first 90 days are on the house as it were.
    Interesting. We've been together 6 of the 8 years she's worked there and never once have I heard of her being subjected to any type of employee evaluation. She is the only optician out of them all who has been there that long. Her manager will say that no one other employee she's ever had has the repeat customer base that my wife has, and I often enjoy the stories about "Mrs. So and So came to visit me today". I'd hate to drag her away from that to the unknown. Ah, we'll see.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    As a Hiring Manager for MA/NH/ME I may be able to answer some questions and give you an idea on rate of pay. please feel free to email me at jsaitow@usvision.com

I may also have an opportunity in Maine, if your wife is looking.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim, feel free to post openings in the job board wherever you have them. All resourses should be used in today's economic climate. A pleasure to have you here.
    Lord Byron

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Having resided and labored in the optical vineyard in both Maine and Massachusetts for a number of years I think that licensing and wages are the least of your concerns. I suggest that you look long and hard at the quality of life issues. Whether licensed or not if your wife knows her cookies she should be able to find a job anywhere at whatever she considers a fair wage. The real important issues will be cost of living in terms of housing, taxes, commute times, etc.

As you indicated that you wife likes her present position and there are other compelling reasons to move from Maine to The Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts (the home of Barney Frank and John Kerry) Iwould stay put.

"Maine, the way life should be."

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    Having resided and labored in the optical vineyard in both Maine and Massachusetts for a number of years I think that licensing and wages are the least of your concerns. I suggest that you look long and hard at the quality of life issues. Whether licensed or not if your wife knows her cookies she should be able to find a job anywhere at whatever she considers a fair wage. The real important issues will be cost of living in terms of housing, taxes, commute times, etc.

As you indicated that you wife likes her present position and there are other compelling reasons to move from Maine to The Peoples Republic of Taxachusetts (the home of Barney Frank and John Kerry) Iwould stay put.

"Maine, the way life should be."
    Thanks for the reply. I understand that Massachusetts may not be the best place to be in terms of Taxes, but if I were to figure in what she would be taxed, versus what she would get as a raise and then figure in housing and cost of living, I believe it would still be a step in the right direction. She doesn't make very much now. Again, thanks for your insight. I really appreciate it.

Semper Fi.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If she becomes licensed, and is able to do lab work, there's no reason she can't expect between $20 - 30 an hour.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Another question: Are non-residents eligible to become licensed in Massachusetts? ie: Be able to obtain a license BEFORE making the move to Massachusetts? I was not able to find anything regarding a residency requirement.

Occupation
    Residency used to be a requirement.

I'm not too sure today since anyone can vote, sign up for welfare and public housing or get a driver’s license. Just have her identify herself as an undocumented alien.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No residency requirements
    Money carefully refunded

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know this board is several years old, but I'm currently trying to get my Mass Optician license as well. I had a hard time finding information online about coming in from other states, and even talking to the woman at the licensing board got confusing and I got very little help from her.

Here is my situation:
    I worked in NH under a NH state license for about 4 years between 2010 and 2014. During this time, I also took and passed my ABOC exam. I then left NH and moved to California where I let my NH license expire since I was going to be in California for an indefinite amount of time. I did not pursue the optical field while I was in California, but during the 3 and a half years I was there, I did renew my ABOC to stay current with that in the event that I decided to pursue the optical field in the future. Now it is early 2018 and I have moved back to New England and am now living in northern Mass. I am interested in getting my Mass license but so far, the process seems confusing and as I stated earlier, the woman at the licensing office spoke to me as if I was talking to an automated computer instead of listening to my specific questions.

So I have roughly 8,000 hours of experience working in NH under a NH state license. The woman at the licensing office in Mass asked if I have a NH license, and I told her that I don't currently have it, but that I did during the time that I worked. She said I would need to at least have a current NH license in order to apply for a MA license, but something about that is really making me question her credibility of knowledge on these specific situations. So I'm currently working as an optician in Mass unlicensed under a doctor. I haven't worked in NH since 2014 and does anyone know if I really need to reapply for my NH license just to make the hours I obtained between 2010 and 2014 credible, even though I had a NH license at the time I worked there? That just seems ridiculous, but then again, I wouldn't doubt ridiculous regulations to come out of a licensing board in Massachusetts. I'm just wondering if anyone else has some input on this. Anyways, I'm still waiting for a call from the licensing board because even though the woman had some pretty confident answers for me, she wanted to consult her manager and get back to me.

I'm posting this question to anyone who may be able to help me or shed more light on the situation, but I will also update and post a reply when I get a call back and/or learn something else in regards to this. I hope maybe someone out there may be able to help, and I also hope my story and what I learn can help anyone else out there in my situation. The Mass board of licensing certainly isn't a ton of help so far, so hopefully with our own stories and experience, we can help eachother out.

Occupation
    Go here:

Massachusetts Policies, Regulations and Statutes (Dispensing Opticians): https://www.mass.gov/policies-regulations-and-statutes-dispensing-opticians

Opticians Association of Massachusetts: https://www.opticiansma.org/

Good luck.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really people? I have to ask, WHY oh WHY are suggestions still being given to a question posted 01-26-2012? I am sure he has the answer by now?

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    The original post is old, but the question was re-asked on the 16th. It makes sense to ask similar questions in a continuing thread so there aren't 20 threads all asking the same thing. With that said, question askers should be reading the full thread to make sure a current answer isn't already at their disposal.
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Thread Information