Thread: Los Angeles Lakers

Los Angeles Lakers

Hey Optiboarders!
    Are there any other southern California Opticians out there that love the LA Lakers? Just got through watching and I think I am going to take a day to recover!!!

Go Lakers!!
    John Gustafson

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

I watched the final game with desperate hope that the Lakers would lose. they are so boring...they just trow the ball into Shaq, he knocks down whoever's in front of him, stuff the ball, if any defender dares touch him in his efforts, the refs call a foul, he goes to the lines shoots free throws. this is 80% of their game...my problem is that on the other end of the court, if the other team's center would charge into Shaq to get to the basket, it's a charge, so any team playing the Lakers is going to have all their big men foul out...so, to me their "championship" is tainted by poor officiating...did you see how many times in the last couple games that Kobe Bryant elbowed someone in the face, and either the defender was called for a foul or there was a no call ? I think New York will be reall tough on them. It was a shame that the Kings missed so many free throws, it would have been a better result!

Bad address email on file

Lakers fan?

Sorry Gustaf,
    I have to agree with Tex. Lot's of talent on the Lakers team but who in their right mind would want them to win? And Kobe? Way too arrogant a player for me. At least Jordan had some class to go along with all the talent.

Go!!!!__________ (whoever players the Lakers)

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Actually, I hate the Lakers- and that's why I wanted them to win on Sunday.

After my Celtics lost, there would have been no reason to watch a Nets-Kings series (yawn). Now I can at least root for the underdog Nets to win at least one game from the evil yellow and purple suited whiney superstars you loosely refer to as a "team."
    :)
    BTW, "Dittos" to the comments on Shaq's play. I've never seen such a big man whine so much about being fouled (well, Parrish tended to do that a little as well, I suppose, but...).
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Smilie

In a sports column in this mornings Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Randy Galloway talked about how many in sports feel like the NBA must be "fixed", the officiating in favor of the Lakers is so blatantly bad, mentioned how could they go to the free throw line 27 times in the 4th quarter of game six, except that, otherwise the Kings would win and there would be not game 7, the Lakers would go home, and the Kings would be playing the Nets, except NBA PR needs to have Shaq and Kobe in the finals. So, like I said before Galloways article, it's just tainted. Mark Cuban, bless his heart, has been fined hundreds of thousands of $$$ this past 2 years for trying to clean up the officiating, to no avail. I believe that the "fix" is in, when it comes to Shaq. and the Lakers! I think they are a great team, they should be able to win without poor officiating, but they surely play to the officials; Kobe's taken tooo many "acting" classes in Hollywood!

Yikes!

Guess I'm in the minority here. Well Pete I was hoping for the Celtics to win too so they could re-kindle the rivalry from the 80's. Great memories from those series!

If the Kings would have shot better than 53% from the foul line in game 7 they would be playing the Nets. They shot 75% from the line as a team during the regular season. The Kings 'fixed' their own loss at the foul line.

So I'll go on pulling for my Lakers!
    John Gustafson

Smilie

I guess it's such a noticeable problem that Ralp Nader's getting involved, now they've done it!

OptiBoard Novice
    Maybe if the Kings had made a couple of free throws in the decisive game, there would be no talk of the refs in game 6. Maybe if somebody other than Mike Bibby, (a guy with no playoff experience) would suck it up and take a big shot and make it, mainly that loser Chris Webber, there would be no constant whining about the Purple and Gold. Maybe if any other team in the West or East could clone Michael and Scottie in their prime, the Lakers could be beat. Winning spawns many things, including jealousy. And Kobe is only 23, still in diapers. How old was MJ before his FIRST title. And he didn't win those on his own. You Laker-haters can't beat us, so join us, or else you'll be feeling like the New Jersey Nets for many years to come. Oh yeah, I think Ralph Nader should take a long walk off a short pier, in Santa Monica.

Smilie

Liveworld, don't know which "Laker Haters" you're responding to, just made some comments about the NBA's poor officiating of the King's series, commented that the Lakers are a great team, just would like to see a fairly officiated game, really don't care who won, it was very entertaining, Shaq has no peers in basketball, and likely won't for some time to come, don't see anybody here "jealous" of you Laker fans....

OptiBoard Novice
    Tex,
    Thanks for the response, does Mark Cuban complain about the officiating when the Mavs win? The officiating was poor in the playoffs, and the NBA does benefit with the Lakers in the finals, but with poor ratings for the NBA Finals regardless of who is in it, it doesn't make that much a difference to actually "fix" the refereeing. Maybe I'm just biased towards the Purple and Gold, but the Kings, and especially Vlade, cry after every flop when the call goes against them, and that sticks with the referees through a 7 game series. And there is nothing boring about the triangle offense or the defense the Lakers play. I know they don't fire up 50 3's a game and run and gun like the Mavs and Kings do, but it is the essence of team ball. Kobe, Shaq, MJ, and anyone else are nothing without the team.

Thread Information