Thread: What exactly is a certified optician?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What exactly is a certified optician?

I saw a post this evening that someone was a "certified optician". Not really sure what that means, as the states I have worked in have licenses,( NY an NC), and no other certification that carries any weight. In both states, you can not claim to be an optician without a license, so a "certified optician" doesn't fly here. Who is this grand "certifier" that I should be on the look out for, and what does it get you and what does it really mean?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You're right, in licensed states "certified" doesn't carry much weight. But in un-licensed states like Texas in can mean a lot to an employer. As example, I'll use my recent posting on the jobs board. I need an optician that knows their stuff. I run the opticals of a multi-location, multi-OMD practice. I need an optician that knows their stuff and are an ophthalmic lens expert.

I'm looking for either an ABOC-AC or ABOM. I'd consider someone with basic certification that plans on going for the Advanced. Certification shows me that they are in optics for a career, not just a job.

Before anyone gets upset, I know plenty of opticians that are Master level opticians that haven't taken the test and would hire them in a second. ( Dragon, wanna move down from WV? ) Certification in an un-licensed state shows me that an applicant has at least basic knowledge and it also has marketing advantages when your competition is only hiring frame stylists.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    This short thread is a prime example of the problem with Opticianry, and why it can't get ahead. Both of these gentelmen are excellent, but the states in which they reside each have vastly different requirements to become an Optician. When will this "profession" ever develop leaders who understand this issue, and want to achieve more than a title and a free trip to a convention? We need leaders who come together once and for all and work to the betterment of all Opticians, develop a national education and training program, and fight for licensure in each state.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    This short thread is a prime example of the problem with Opticianry, and why it can't get ahead. Both of these gentelmen are excellent, but the states in which they reside each have vastly different requirements to become an Optician. When will this "profession" ever develop leaders who understand this issue, and want to achieve more than a title and a free trip to a convention? We need leaders who come together once and for all and work to the betterment of all Opticians, develop a national education and training program, and fight for licensure in each state.
    Warren:

The greater question may really be: Does opticianry "need" to get ahead to better serve the broad public's interest? What is the actual/recorded harm to consumers in states where opticianry has no regulation/standards? What are the stats? We may actually be avoiding the point that *adequately-done* opticianry is, in fact *adequate* to the standards the public either needs (or better) accepts.

What concientious boarders here are actually providing on a day-to-day basis in eyewear may be better referred to as *concierge* ophthalmic dispensing.

Discussion.

B

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A certified optician is one that has been in the business long enough for everyone to know he's crazy.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You are correct that in a non-liscensed state an ABO certification carries a bit more weight when applying for a job. Many older and wiser opticians than I have never bothered with taking the test and do not care to prove what they know they know. In my opinion it means the person I am looking at hiring cared enough to study and pass a fairly simple test. Not that I would not hire someone without an ABOC behind their name but I always wonder why you wouldn't take the time to do so. It can also mean more money depending on the employer. I was hired in at a higher wage because of it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Warren:

The greater question may really be: Does opticianry "need" to get ahead to better serve the broad public's interest? What is the actual/recorded harm to consumers in states where opticianry has no regulation/standards? What are the stats? We may actually be avoiding the point that *adequately-done* opticianry is, in fact *adequate* to the standards the public either needs (or better) accepts.

What concientious boarders here are actually providing on a day-to-day basis in eyewear may be better referred to as *concierge* ophthalmic dispensing.

Discussion.

B
    In my mind, I feel we could be more than we currently are, but it all depends on your view of the world, Barry. I see Opticianry in a steady decline in many parts of the country. On the other hand, we may need to simply eliminate any restrictions, and let the free market dictate who survives. Do you fell a license should even be required at this point, since in the majority of states it is not? I espouse a true professional approach that requires education and training and licensure in every jurisdiction, and a commensurate expansion of professional duties. Contact lenses, for example, were largely a prt of Opticianry until just a few decades ago. As the ODs move to a more medical model, we can also move forward. Or not.........again it depends on your view of the world. Some see themselves as retail merchants. Nothing wrong with that if that is what we are to be, but if that is the case, why have a professional license. Let the strong survive.

I look forward to your response.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In today's cost-concious world, adequate is increasingly going to have to do. But, will people be happy with adequate? No, not all. Will people *pay* for more than adequate? Yes, many will.

Which are you: Adequate or excellent? Legislation, if any, regulating eyewear in the future, will be focused on adequate.

IMHO.

B

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper I was a Swiss Certified Optician.........................................

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post

A certified optician is one that has been in the business long enough for everyone to know he's crazy.

Chip I have to disagree.........................I was a Swiss Certified Optician at the age of 19. Certified was the word in the old days, I think that I was not crazy then.

Today it is licensed everywhere even in Europe I just checked and here it is and it works in one county and everywhere else.

Application for licence to practise as an optician

The information on this page applies if you are an optician who received your training outside Sweden in an EU Member State or in Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland.

Basic conditions

In Sweden, optician is a protected professional title that may be used only by those who hold a licence to practise. The Swedish training to become an optician consists of three years of higher education.

If you have received your training in another EEA Member State* and want to work as an optician in Sweden, you need a formal recognition of your professional qualifications. This recognition is based on EC Directive (2005/36/EC).

Optician is one of the professions where the licence to practise can be issued after an assessment based on the Directive’s general system for the mutual recognition of evidence of formal qualifications. In the assessment, the professional activities and the level, length and content of the training are compared to those in Sweden.

see all of it: http://www.socialstyrelsen.se/applic...seeea/optician

Thread Information