View Poll Results: If you could live in any state, which would it be?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alabama (Georgia, Mississippi)

5 5.43%
  • California (Arizona, Nevada)

12 13.04%
  • The Carolinas

8 8.70%
  • Maine (New Hamp Vermont, Conn, Mass, Rhode Island)

11 11.96%
  • Washington (Oregon, Idaho, Montana)

12 13.04%
  • Pennsylvania (New York, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, Deleware)

10 10.87%
  • Hawaii

9 9.78%
  • Florida (Puerto Rico)

7 7.61%
  • Texas (Oklahoma, Kansas, Nebraska)

4 4.35%
  • Other

14 15.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could live in any state...

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

If you could live in any state...

First, if your state isn't here, just choose "other" and explain why (you cannot post 50 options, so just get over it- these would be my personal favorites, and it is my poll).

Second, yes this is a poll about states. If you live in another country (or another kingdom, perhaps) start your own bloody poll- but don't whinge on about the Americentricity of this one!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've lived in Virginia, North Carolina, New Jersey, Texas, Florida, Hawaii, and Tennessee. I have enjoyed visiting many other states, but I'm going to vote for TN. We have "seasons", and mild weather, and beautiful vistas, and here is where my family is... parents and inlaws and children. And if I could just get that house by the lake, I think I'd want to stay here forever!
    ~~jP

Bad address email on file Jackie L's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

NewEnglander at heart

I voted Maine. Easy, breezy summers and great skiing in the winter. Although the perfect scenario will be Maine in the summer, South for the winter with a condo on the mountains. Nice!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper state

:cheers: N.Y. the only place where you can get decent food and entertainment

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    N.Y. the only place where you can get decent food and entertainment.
    No offense to the Empire State or the Big Apple (and you are correct, NY has great food and entertainment), but you've obviously never visited the Big Easy!

New Orleans is probably one of the most entertaining places in the US, and the food... Mmmmm hmmmmm, blackened catfish, gumbo, and shrimp... I guar-on-tee you'll find something to eat in the French Quarter!
    :cheers:
    So, let's make that TWO places you can be entertained and well fed in the US. Anyone with a third to suggest (San Fran perhaps, never been there)?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    I voted other. Does an eternal state of Bliss qualify?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Re: If you could live in any state...

Pete Hanlin said:
    If you live in another country (or another kingdom, perhaps) start your own bloody poll- but don't whinge on about the Americentricity of this one!
    Now Now no need to get into a state Pete...:finger:
    Best move we ever made losing to you yanks, as you split your self up that much you cant agree on anything.....

But if i was to choose any i guess (Hj going to luv this) New England it is....With Florida a close 2nd...

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New Orleans

Harry:

I am afraid to post this as more Yankees might find out and come down. But obviously you have never been to the South, especially New Orleans. The food north of Tennessee is bland and tasteless by comparison. Have you ever noticed that Yankees roast meat, then apply sauce and call it barbeque. In the south the sause is marinated and re-applied during cooking (even Emeril gets this wrong), that's barbeque. And when you have tasted the crawfish bisque at Denee's in Metarie you will realize you everything you have eaten before was just fodder.

Chip

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The food north of Tennessee is bland and tasteless by comparison.
    While I freely admit that the South offers some good eatin', bland and tasteless is going a bit far, Chip!

If Southerners have one fault with their cooking, its that sometimes they don't realize the value of leaving a good piece of meat alone! Take Thanksgiving, for instance... there are people down here who grill and (ugh) even FRY their turkey! Also, sometimes chicken is great grilled straight and then spritzed with lemon juice (why does everything always have to be fried in the South?).

Come up to Pennsylvania for Thanksgiving or Christmas sometime, and we Yanks will show you how to make turkey, ham, whipped potatos and scalloped corn (my mouth is watering just thinking about it). Then, we'll have some Grape-nut ice cream for dessert!

"Bland and tasteless!" Geesh!

PS- I will admit, however, that chicken-n-dumplins is one of the best dishes, ever!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New England first, last, and always....

We New Englanders enjoy some of the most naturally beautiful real estate on the planet. We have 4 seasons and if you like variety you will love our weather.We have the Atlantic Coast and the Appalachian mountains. While some would say that the inhabitants are somewhat laconic and introverted, I have found us to be quite open and friendly. We enjoy fine food, the arts, and have excellent educational facilities. We have the New England Patriots(sorry Pete and Night Train) and would also be remiss in not mentioning the Red Sox (this could be THE year! All in all, on this continent, its New England for me!

HJ
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Suppose you live where ya live cause ya like it the best...some places are nice to visit, for a short time, but live there? well, I guess to know that, you'd have to do just that. as some mentioned, there are seasonal weather issues, I really love it here in Texas, but August can be hell on earth! was a kid growing up in cajun country, loved the food and the people, went to high school in upper michigan, beautiful except for the winters, have family in Florida, nice to visit, in the Navy at Annapolis, Rhode Island, California; been on major trips to Maine, Boston, Atlanta, Reno, Vegas, Vancouver, Montreal, San Diego, New Orleans, Cancun, New Mexico, Arkansas, Houston, San Antonio, Tampa, Orlando, Mobile, Philadelphia, San Francisco, D.C., Paris, London, Sydney, and I still feel great to get home to Fort Worth and Dallas.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Let me see, I was born in Somerset, PA and raised in Portsmouth, VA. Went to college in Tempe, AZ. Married (1st time) and moved to Sherman Oaks and then Reseda, CA. Moved back to Portsmouth after the 1970 earthquake. Divorced, moved to Norfolk, VA. Married (again), moved to Virginia Beach and bought our dream house, transferred to Roosevelt Roads, PR, transferred again to Springfield, VA. My dream is to retire to that dream house in Virginia Beach after my HS sophomore graduates from college!

Bad address email on file ioconnell's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    It will always be Eire for me!(although I may have to venture to England to study if I opt for a career in optics, but I'LL be back)

A Us state, withoutt a doubt MA. The Cape is just soo beautiful, so peaceful, so tranquil and so enjoyable.:D

California looks pretty nice too:)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Florida?

Say Pete.... don't you live in Florida? Seems no votes for the humidity state.
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused states

Chip, where do you think i live, hint its called north carolina, besides the fact that my wife is a born and bred georgia girl, which if your not aware is also in the south.
    .....All my relatives come from Tuscumbia, Alabama and in fact were so southern there last name was South.
    .....Now about bland, whenever you have the forte, ill take you up to little italy in N.Y., and we will have you eat some real italian cooking. Bet you could not handle it.

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm gonna throw in my two cents worth,

Of course I live in Texas so I obviously voted for Texas, but maybe you need a little extra explanation as to why most Texans are as adamant about how great a state it really is. Some people think it's arrogance while some think it's pride. It's a little of both to be honest but for good reason.

Texas has a little bit of everything. You want beach we got beach. You want desert, we got desert. You want woods and forrest, we got it. You want big cities, we got that too along with solitude and isolation if that's your thing. We have a lot of wonderful music and local talents all across the state and Austin has become somewhat of a recording meca. Food? Well we have cajun, we have Sea food that's out of this world, we have more "exotic" foods than you can shake a stick at. Cuban, Mexican dishes as far as the eye can see, soul food, steaks that you can't get anywhere else, barbeque that can't be rivaled by anyone other than maybe Kansas City. Beer! That pretty much says it all right there now if we could only get them to move the Wild Turkey factory here we'd be the only place to live on the face of the planet :) Oh and lets not forget that there is a lot of Northern culture here as well and food goes right along with it.

To Mr. Pete,

When are you coming to Texas? You know the saying used in the commercials "Texas. It's a whole other country." Well, it's true. Many people have been to Dallas so they say "I've been to Texas." Although Dallas is in Texas and is a wonderful city, it ain't "Texas." But there is just as much diversity there as there is in the whole state.

Well, that's my take. I've visited many other states and can say there are several I wouldn't mind living in, but then I'm adaptable :) Ya'll take care now. Ya hear? :)

Darris C.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Although i love to travel,it's New England for me.......:D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Florida?

JRS said:
    Say Pete.... don't you live in Florida? Seems no votes for the humidity state.

Ther IS a reason why they call this "God's Waiting Room".

NOBODY comes here to live...................

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I guess for me it's still the D.C. area. You are right smack in the middle of everything there. History, education, culture, entertainment....if it's not there, it's only a short drive or shuttle away.

OK, the weather has little to be desired, but no place is perfect. As then it's only a short drive to either Ocean City of the Blue Ridge.

But, of all the gin joints and all the towns in all the world...I'd live the rest of my life in a little place called Kenmare...it just maybe the most beautiful spot on the planet!

Bad address email on file Darris Chambless's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeManFla said:
    But, of all the gin joints and all the towns in all the world...I'd live the rest of my life in a little place called Kenmare...it just maybe the most beautiful spot on the planet!
    That sounds like a little twon outside of Austin call Wimberly. Wimberly is in the hills and every house has one of those million dollar views. A friend of mine has a house out there and it is undoubtedly the most peacefull place I have ever been.

Take care

Darris C.

Occupation
    Eyemanfla, Are you talking about Kenmare Co. Kerry?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    ioconnell said:
    Eyemanfla, Are you talking about Kenmare Co. Kerry?

That would be himself at the bar of the Silver Spring Hotel!

OptiBoard Professional

Deep In The Heart Of Texas!!

I have to agree with Darris. In Texas, We have a great variety. I will also vouch for Wimberly. I know that most of tourists coming to Texas head right here to San Antonio (The Alamo, Riverwalk, and such), but Wimberly is breathtaking 24/7/365. This little town most certainly coined the term "God's Country".

Carol D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    EyeManFla said:

That would be himself at the bar of the Silver Spring Hotel!

Yes,yes,yes, I know....the Silver Spring Hotel is outside the city of Cork. So it was the Kenmare Inn overlooking the Reeks. Hey, your lucky I could remember which side of the Atlantic I was on.......the bartender and his lovely wife sure enjoyed the couple of pints of Youkon Jack I brought with me..........
    :cheers:

Occupation
    That a beautiful spot of the country, just a taste of what Ireland has to offer! Do you come to Ireland a lot? What parts do you visit?:cheers:

Thread Information